Do I Put The Pearl Dust On Before Or After Royal Icing?

Decorating By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 7:16pm by Bubbl3h3ad

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a wedding cake and I doing scroll work with royal icing. Should I put the pearl dust on before or after the royal icing? I'm thinking after but I want to make sure.

4 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 5

Are you putting the pearl dust on the cake itself? If you only want it on the cake and not the RI scrollwork then I would say put it on first. If you want everything dusted, including the scroll work, then after.

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 5

I'm sorry I didn't realize I had a reply. I didn't know if there was a "correct" way to do it or if I could do it either way. I would like for it all to be dusted if that is possible, I guess just wait until it dries well. Thanks for replying!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 5

Definitely after - because if you dust then scroll, the scrollwork may fall off because it won't adhere to the icing beneath it but to the thin dusting of shimmer. It's kinda like powdering a baby's butt - to act as a moisture barrier. Bad example but it was all I could think of at the moment.

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 5

OMG, I'm so glad you told me that! I am wanting this cake to be perfect for this couple, and I would hate for the scrolls to fall off!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%