Fondant Vs Gumpaste

Decorating By PandaMin77 Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 3:41pm by Texas_Rose

PandaMin77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PandaMin77 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 4

wondering which each one is better for. I'm a novice but amd diving in head first icon_biggrin.gif

making a beer cooler cake for tomorrow and a beach cake with edible seashells next week

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 4

Generally speaking, fondant is for eating and gumpaste is not.

Fondant decorations take longer to harden than gumpaste. They don't dry absolutely rock hard, at least not for a while. Fondant on a cake stays soft enough to be eaten.

I use gumpaste for flowers, for any decorations on wires, and for things like shoes.

You can work with fondant longer before it starts to dry and the surface wrinkles. You can work gumpaste a lot thinner than fondant, making it ideal for flower petals.

So basically both have their uses.

I usually make seashells with white chocolate and candy molds...you can just paint the chocolate in there thick enough to make a shell, let it harden and pop it out, you don't have to fill the entire mold.

PandaMin77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PandaMin77 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 4

I thought about making the seashells from chocolate but I'm worried about the chocolate melting its been quite hot lately

if the fondant dries out is it ok to add glycerin? or corn syrup thought I heard that on a cake show
thanks so much!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 4

You can add glycerin but only add a drop or two at a time. If it gets too soft and sticky, that's worse than it being a little dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%