Transporting And Keeping Cupcakes Cold

Business By snowdaisy822 Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 6:23pm by snowdaisy822

snowdaisy822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowdaisy822 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:29am
post #1 of 3

Hi all! Okay, so I'm still working on my license for my business and the person I am working with wants to know how I will keep cupcakes cold as I transport them from the kitchen to the event. I was looking into Cambro carriers, but they're so expensive! What do you guys do? Do you keep them cool as you transport them or what? Thank you!

2 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:47am
post #2 of 3

Yes. I use regular Igloo coolers that will accomodate my bakery boxes. Because my boxes are coated, they stay nice. Each cooler hols four 10 x 10 boxes. I use the Chillers fake ice in a bag, lined on the bottom with a towel separating them. This is plenty. After seven hours in these coolers last weekend, five hours in the car and two at a family reunion outside in the heat, the SMBC, IMBC, FBC, custard based frostings, lemon curd filling, etc., were actually too cold for serving. I took a bunch out and they were room temp in 30 minutes. So obviously, my short trips and two hour trips are fine. This weekend was the longest test for me. I also lend these to customers transporting cakes that must be refrigerated. I pack up the tiers in boxes, completely cover them with plastic, and pack them. If the tier is too big, I pack it in a baking pan that is one size bigger than the box, surrounded by those ice packs and covered with two heavy towels. It works perfectly. If I did not know the person, I would charge a rental and deposit fee.

Edit: Because I knew the frostings and fillings were perishable, I refrigerated them finished and packed in the boxes overnight so that they were already cool in the cooler.

snowdaisy822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowdaisy822 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! What size of cooler is that? Is it one of the 150 quart coolers? I have 10x14x4 boxes, so I don't know if they'd fit that well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%