Spackling Knife To Frost Cakes

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 3:24pm by sebrina

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:13am
post #1 of 10

Has anyone tried using a spackling knife to frost their cakes. I was reading the upside down cake method by Jeff and he says to purchase a spackling knife from a hardware store. Just curious if anyone else does this. I couldn't find anything close at the cake store.

9 replies
lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:28am
post #2 of 10

Yes, I do and I use it quite often with the high density foam roller to smooth my buttercream...plus the Viva towels...I use it all! HaHaHa!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:40am
post #3 of 10

I've been wanting to try it too! Right now I use the Pampered Chef Handy Scraper. It works really well!

http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=186&words=handy

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:49am
post #4 of 10

Yep, I use mine all the time. I always use ganache under my fondant, and I hold it over the flame on the stove and then the heat melts the ganache and I get a really smooth beautiful finish!!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:09am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

I hold it over the flame on the stove and then the heat melts the ganache and I get a really smooth beautiful finish!!

Ooooohhh...that sounds like it would work REALLY well! I think I'm going to have to try it! Thanks so much for that tip, Yummy!

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:16am
post #6 of 10

I found one that was stainless steel! Yup, works just as good as a traditional bench scraper. icon_biggrin.gif

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #7 of 10

I use it all the time too. My husband hangs sheet rock for a living. As soon as I started caking he bought me a 3 set of plastic knives & I have used them ever since. He has amazed me with some of the tools he comes home with for me. He says that buttercream behaves a lot like sheet rock mud. LOL! HTH!

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:58am
post #8 of 10

I use a set of three different size Bondo (for cars) smoothing tools I got at Walmart for 99 cents in the auto section, they work great!!

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 10

I have a mini claw hammer too for putting in dowels and needle nose pliers as well. The pliers come in handy when working with wires. I took a trip to the hard ware store w/my wrench head buddy and he saw me shopping. He was tickled pink thinking I was a car chick and when I revealed I was looking for potential cake supplies...well, you could hear that laughter all through out the store. icon_biggrin.gif

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkkeeMunkkee

when I revealed I was looking for potential cake supplies...well, you could hear that laughter all through out the store. icon_biggrin.gif

LOL! My husband takes me to Bass Pro & I go through the camping section to discover a tiny little spatula (great for picking up tiny little dots or flowers) & he laughs & says I am the only one that could find caking tools in a fishing store. I will have to tell him he was wrong! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%