Help Me!!! Tres Leche Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Harmonycakes Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 4:56pm by KathieB

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 8

ok so, i have a customer that wants a tres leche cake for their wedding cake. For those of you not familiar with this cake, it is pretty much a cake that you poke holes in and then pour a mixture of condensed, evaporated, and whole milk all over the cake and it soaks it up.

The question I have is, how in the world do i make this into a tiered cake? is it even possible? from some of the recipes Im reading it looks like the cake should stay in the pan it was baked it lol. HELP!

7 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 8

If it is not something you have practiced, tasted, or know how to make, I would decline the order.

Someone's wedding cake is not the time to figure out if you can or cannot make a certain recipe well.

That said, wasn't Jenna Bush's cake Tres Leches? And it was what...4 tier or so?

It can be done, but unless you have the time to practice the recipe, figure how it works and do a test run, then I'd either steer them to a different flavor or decline the order.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:16am
post #3 of 8

I agree with 3gcakes, back away!!!

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:16am
post #4 of 8

I agree with 3gcakes, back away!!!

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:20am
post #5 of 8

Agree with 3Gcakes.
There are so many things that can go wrong. I make tres leches cakes often and the problem that I run into the most is the leaking. It has taken many trial and error but I think that "under soaking" it just a bit has helped with that. Another problem is the whipped frosting. If you use something like cool whip then you have to ice fast and at the same time not go over the same area too much as it separates very quickly and turns into an air bubble mess. Whipped cream does not ice as smooth. A cake that is that moist and sponge is very hard to stack. I have stacked it in 3 tiers with pillars and separator plates. The sizes were 10/8/6 so it wasn't that heavy to begin with. Then there is the issue of refrigeration. A tress leches cake does not taste good at room temp and should not be stored at room temp. You run the risk of sickening the guests. The cake weeps even worse when it's at room temp. I would turn down the order if you do not feel very confident about making it.
Fedra

Colorful-Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colorful-Bliss Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:40am
post #6 of 8

I use to work with tres leches cakes all the time at a bakery I worked for. Usually would make half sheet cakes. I would poke holes dame the bottom so the liquid would not leak. Pour the mixture and put it back in the freezer. One frozen I. Would then take it out and frost the cake with whip while the cake was still frozen. We would make so many they would go back in the freezer after frosting. We would put them out to sale straight from the freezer. The cakes do really well if stored frozen.

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 8

thanks for the responses. I talked to the couple and suggested that I make a 100 serving cake (they asked for 200 servings total) of something I am more accustomed to working with, and then I could do the other 100 servings via sheet cake with the tres leche. They know that I am still relatively new to this and understood completely and thought it was a great idea, I think I lucked out in having understanding clients! lol icon_smile.gif

KathieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathieB Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 8

I just saw a cake and maybe she can help you with your tres de leches cake. It is a stacked cake too.

it's by t-agoscakes

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2054805

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%