How Soon Can I Frost?

Decorating By Rhonlynn Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 7:22pm by carmijok

Rhonlynn Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 4

I am making an Elvis cake for my neighbor, to be given to him on Sunday afternoon. I am busy all day on Saturday. I work tomorrow, but from home, and I'm not planning on doing a crumb coat, except on the little cake, which seems crumbly.

How soon can I take it from the freezer, and frost it? I will have black on the top, and black on the little cake, that's slanted, kind of like a walk way,and white around the rest, in Buttercream. It is a torted 3 inch layer cake. I have black gum paste records, and a white music "scroll with music notes, that is dried with a non flat bowl, so it looks like a scroll of music, with a treble clef and music notes on it.I will add those on Sunday, just before I give it to him. The black icing will be chocolate, and I'm filling it with a cool black and white striped filling.

I also have black silhouettes of Elvis cut on sugar paper. The frosting itself will be easy, except for the boarder, and the Elvis autographed that will be piped.

How soon can I do the main frosting? It's not humid here. We have the air conditioner on, and I have a cake carrier that is air tight.

3 replies
carmijok Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 4

I can tell you what I do. I always fill and crumb coat a frozen cake then keep it in the fridge to thaw slowly. I layer and smooth on my buttercream after the crumb coat has hardened in the fridge. I actually keep my decorated cakes in the refrigerator until delivery time.
A schedule of mine would be like this--
Tuesday bake and freeze,
Friday: fill crumbcoat, ice and decorate, keep in fridge
Saturday: deliver

KeLs3784 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 4

so as soon as you are done baking, you wrap and put it in the freezer? do you let it cool to room temp first, or still put in the freezer while warm? also isnt it harder to tort the cake while frozen?

carmijok Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 4

I let it cool to room temp first--but not in the pan. After 10 minutes I'll take the cake out and let it finish cooling. I have torted a cake while it's frozen...just use a sharp knife and be careful not to smoosh your cake down...there is definitely more resistance. But honestly, if you wanted to, why not go ahead and torte while it is room temp and either freeze them separately or put the pieces back together and then freeze, separating them when you're ready to fill and crumb coat. It's whatever you feel more comfortable doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%