Contact Paper To Cover Boards

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm by KMKakes

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 6

I have seen several examples of people covering their boards in pretty wrapping paper and then covering that in clear contact paper (the paper that has a self adhesive back used most commonly to cover drawers and shelves). Is it safe to put the cake right on it? Do you may be wipe it down with soap and water first?
Thanks

dina

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 6

No, no contact paper is foodsafe. I contacted the manufacturer several years ago for this info.

The colored papers have lead in the inks and all contact paper has phthalates in it to make the vinyl soft. Fatty & acidic foods can leach those out of the vinyl. Phthalates are carcinogenic. Because of this, phthalates were removed from baby teethers, pacifiers, etc. several years ago.

So, it's necessary to have a barrier between the contact paper and the cake.

Since all of my cakes go on boards the same size as the tier, the only thing touching the contact paper is usually a border--which tends to stay behind when cutting, anyway.

If that is an issue, you can put a piece of wax paper or parchment a bit larger than the cake and be sure that all edibles touch only that underliner.

Rae

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 6

I have used food safe clear cellophane to cover all sorts of different papers or prints. Then cake can go directly on it.

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:39am
post #4 of 6

Thank you for the info.
Where would you get food safe celophane? would it say that on the package?

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 6

I have found it at Michael's. People typically use it to bunch up around cookies or brownies for pretty packaging, but it's worked fine for me. It should say on the packaging.

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for asking this question. I too have wondered if contact paper was safe! Beauty over sanitary is not good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%