How To Make "hair" ?

Decorating By CakeCrystal5308 Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 11:18pm by schustc

CakeCrystal5308 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hello All

I am making a Fraggle Rock cake next weekend. The five characters are all going to be made out of rice crispy treat and covered in fondant.
Where I am not sure about yet is how to make their hair??

If you google images "fraggle rock" you will see them, if you don;t already know what they look like.

To try to make tons of lil pieces of fondant would be completely crazy time consuming and I do work a full time position.... ***stress icon_surprised.gif

Anywho... does anyone have any ideas that isn't terribly time consuming nor expensive? As this cake is a gift and I don't have a bunch of cash icon_smile.gif

Thank you ahead of time for your help

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 4

Garlic press or clay extruder.

wiggler Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 4

I used a clay extruder for my golf cake . I bought it in a local craft shop .The hair turned out ok . Good luck icon_smile.gif

schustc Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 4

it's not hair - but I also used an extruder to make the 'yarn' in my knitting bag cake. there are different attachments (think play dough press) one thing I will say, is that I used modeling chocolate (well really candy clay as no chocolate for the yarn at least) -I've heard you knead in crisco for the fondant to be pliable/soft enough to feed through, so don't discount he option of candy clay icon_smile.gif I loved it. it set up quickly, but wasn't so hard that it broke easily during transport. It did lose a piece here and there, but it was minor...

Anyhow Good luck!! OHH - almost forgot, if you need one, i got a coupon off for the walnut hollow extruder - one item is 40% off for a couple of days. It's got a minor issue with the black rubber gasket I'm going to try to find silicone to replace it) but it worked for what I needed last night, and will work until I can get the silicone replacement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%