The Mat

Decorating By JessicakesBakes Updated 21 Jan 2014 , 7:19pm by SinDfergie

CakewardHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakewardHo Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:44pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Also, I immiediately got creases in mine which ultimately made creases in my fondant when I rolled it out. I haven't used it since. Anyone have any tips for remedying that?

I used a hairdryer set on the medium setting and it got most of the ridges out. I started rolling the mat up differently every time I used it. I would pick up one of the mats and turn it 90 degrees and then roll it up. That's what I do every time now and the ridges are gone.

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 10:38pm
post #32 of 40

Their new thicker Mats seem to be a little more crease resistant. My first one creased (purchased in November 2010), but the third set I purchased (March 2011) has not yet creased.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:08am
post #33 of 40

I took a Viva paper towel and wiped the mat removing some of the shortening. Try not to use much cornstarch or powdered sugar. I place the fondant on the mat and press it down. Lay the mat over the fondant and smooth with your hand before you start rolling. No more pock marks.

klh82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klh82 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 9:14am
post #34 of 40

Can I get "THE MATT" in the uk?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:00pm
post #35 of 40

They ship to Canada so it wouldn't hurt to call and ask them if they will ship to the UK.

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:34pm
post #36 of 40

What do you know... I used my new thicker Mat last night and it has a long crease in it now that transferred to my fondant. I just used it the night before last so that crease must have formed within a 24 hour period. Sigh...

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:52am
post #37 of 40

I just ordered my Mat a couple of weeks ago for my first fondant cake that I had to do this weekend (a groom's cake for my friend's son). I had every intention of doing a couple of practice cakes just to get the hang of it, but my son got MRSA and had to be hospitalized and have surgery. I would have been in big trouble without the mat! It was wonderful! The fondant was so smooth and it was so easy to cover the cake! I rolled it back up and put it back in the tube that it came in...I hope I don't get creases.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:53am
post #38 of 40

I just ordered 2 more Mats after having bought one last year. I intend to use 2 full size in my cake shop and one I am going to cut into smaller squares for smaller jobs. I love it. I've used it and the last time I made a fondant covered cake my son was nice enough to roll it out for me. He loved it too. No pock marks, no creases, no problems with any of the brands of fondant I use (I do not make my own MMF). I can't recommend it enough.

Watch the videos, they are very helpful for seasoning, use and trouble shooting.

CakewardHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakewardHo Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:56am
post #39 of 40

If you roll one mat up and then roll the other mat up around it you won't get creases in it. The creases come from the mats sticking together. Got that tip from Sweet Wise's FB page.

SinDfergie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SinDfergie Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 7:19pm
post #40 of 40

Dear Cakeward Ho,

I was doing an internet search recently when I saw your Indy 500 wedding cake.  It was perfect for the occasion. I too am planning a small wedding in a private suite at the track in May for my daughter who is currently at Navy boot camp.  I would love to hear details of your wedding and how well it turned out using a suite. 

Please contact me if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks so much,

SinDfergie@yahoo.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%