Outside Reception

Decorating By PoodleDoodle Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 1:26pm by PoodleDoodle

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

The temperature has been in the 90's this week with humidity. I have an outside reception next week & was thinking about freezing the wedding cake.

The cakes are chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling & another tier is red velvet with cream cheese filling covered in buttercream made with butter & hi-ration shortening.

Should I freeze it overnight or just refrigerate overnight?

Thanks for your input,

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:54am
post #2 of 7

Well, I wouldn't do either. The amount of condensation that will form on the cake with that much of a change in temp will be big. Search the recipe section here for Charlotte's Whipped Cream Buttercream or IndyDebi's buttercream. But are heat stable.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 7

The only thing that concerns me just a bit is the CrCh filling. Not sure if it is fz-able and it could spoil in that weather. This is something you should have discussed w/the bride when they ordered and told them it is not a good idea for this time of yr. Now I guess I'd work out things w/bride for delivery at the very last second or have them arrange to put the cake in a different location.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 7

I have a groom's cake for an outdoor wedding next weekend. I told the mother of the groom when she ordered it that I would not be there any earlier than 30 minutes before the wedding. I do not do cream cheese anything for outdoor events. Way too risky, not just spoiling but keeping it from melting is a big problem.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 7

this last weekend,i learned the hard way,what leah_s said about the condensation. i had mine in the fridge,and took them out to start to stack them all but the top tier(was going to put that on at the resturant). a few minutes later the cake's were sweating so bad,had to turn the temp down to 70 degree's and put a fan in front of it. taking it from the house to the car,again they sweating and the fondant decorations were getting really sticky and soft. when we got to the resturant,i found out the party was being held outside on the patio,so i was freaking out,but beside's the fondant deco being sticky, the cake held up fine and tasted great.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

I do not do cream cheese anything for outdoor events. Way too risky, not just spoiling but keeping it from melting is a big problem.

One bride asked me if she could have her whole cake iced in cream cheese icing. I said, "Not for an August outdoor wedding you can't."

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Ladies. I appreciate your advice. I always use Indydebi's buttercream recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%