How To Do This Fondant Effect?

Decorating By momofwar Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 2:25pm by ConfectionsCC

momofwar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofwar Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 6

I saw this cake on the Cake Wrecks blog, and wondered if anyone can tell me how they got the white triangle to stay flipped up like that? I would like to do this with the pink part of the cake being buttercream, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help!

5 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 6

I would use a bonetool to frill the edges upward.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 6

I think you're going to have to use gum paste. since you can't put anything between the part you want curled and the cake due to the fact that it's in BC, you might try cutting dowels the different lengths you need and standing them up under the triangles, letting the tips of the triangles rest on the top of the dowels.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 6

Cut out a circle of fondant maybe 3 or 4" bigger than the cake (8" cake; 12" circle of fondant). Cut triangles around the outter edge - I'd guess they are 3" deep, then lay that over the cake. On 2nd look some of the triangles are longer than others so you don't have to be exact. To get the point to curl wrap it loosely around a pencil to dry for an hour or so or as was suggested use a bonetool. Stroke each edge from the point back to the top.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 6

That cake is so cute! Did you find it here on CC? I wanna add it to my favs!!! I would do as another has said, cut a large circle, if your topper is 6in, I would use a 12in pan as a guide. Cut your triangles. Before its dry, place on top of the cake and gently curl them up with your finger or bone tool. I would used either gumpaste, or a 50/50 mixture. Wilton and Satin Ice both dry quickly, so I would use those that way you wont be holding pieces long!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, and I meant gumpaste-Wilton, Fondant-Satin Ice, I didnt specify that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%