Feeling Defeated

Decorating By Jenniferkay Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 8:31pm by SarahBeth3

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 15

I have been working on sugar tulips for a few months now for a wedding this weekend. I had been practicing different combos and got a rythym and thought that this could be done. Well now it's time for the big show and nothing is going as planned. I can't seem to get my wires to go nicely into the petals or they're in there good but when I put them together my wire wasn't sturdy enough...ugh. So now I'm trying to come up with alternatives. I'm about to cry. I'm really freaking out. I know in the end I'll make it work....but right now it seems like that's a world away.

14 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 15

Could you purchase silk tulips as a back-up? I find that when I have a back-up plan, I am more relaxed and confident in what I am doing, because I have a "safety net" if my first plan doesn't work out. HTH!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 15

Jenniferkay, I know EXACTLY how you feel, and last weekend, I DID cry. Hang in there girl. You can do this and you will come out on the other side with a beautiful cake. I've seen your cakes and you are very talented. That talent is still there, you can do it. Take a deep breath, cry if you have to cry, and then get back to it. Your tulips will be beautiful! Remember we are our worst critics. I'm praying for you.

Jenniferkay Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks ladies! I think I've come up with a solution. I'm redoing the petals and forming them in an egg carton and drying them there. So far so good. Not the PC way of doing the sugar tulip, but when you're in a bind you gotta wing it. Of course I stabbed myself taking a wire out of a stamen which left me with a nice puncture wound on my middle finger (if that's not karma I don't know what is!)....but I will get through this. Now I'm trying to think of a way that I'll be able to make the topper. It's an outdoor wedding...supposed to be 96 degrees. Fondant cake. My original plan was styrofoam with wired flowers, now I'm not sure. Any ideas?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 15

I remember many yrs ago when someone was trying to teach us to make b'cream flowers right on the cake and some of us were having a real problem the insturctor said something to the effect:
'You're trying too hard. Once you get home and are not under the pressure of class it will come to you." ..........And she was righticon_smile.gif Today I can whip those puppies out hardly thinking about it at allicon_smile.gif

Jenniferkay Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 15

thanks kakeladi! I think that's what was happening. I was worrying about it so much. I'm still worrying about it. But it's nice to know I can come here for some support!

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 15

jennifer, don't worry; your cake will be beautiful!! thumbs_up.gif
Post pictures, please. icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 15

Glad to hear things are going better. Yea for egg cartons! Sorry about your finger.

Jenniferkay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 15

all done..all delivered! So happy with the way it turned out. Thank you once again for seeing me through my tunnel!

picture is in my photos.

SarahBeth3 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 15

They look great, Jenn! Well done. Glad things turned around for you.

Jenniferkay Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:45am
post #11 of 15

thank you SaraBeth!

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 15

Beautiful job!!! You should be so proud of yourself!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:52pm
post #13 of 15

Your cake is gorgeous, Jennifer!!

There are always problems to deal with, no matter what your project - whether its cake decorating, wallpapering, or digging a trench. I always figure that the difference between a pro and an amatuer is that the pro can come up with alternatives when the problem occurs and stays focused enough to execute an alternative solution. And that's what you did so well!

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 15

Your cake came out beautiful!!

SarahBeth3 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 8:31pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

I always figure that the difference between a pro and an amatuer is that the pro can come up with alternatives when the problem occurs and stays focused enough to execute an alternative solution.

Pushing the imaginary "like" button.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%