Coffee Creamers And Frostings

Baking By sweettreat101 Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 5:56am by JanH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:04am
post #1 of 4

I will be using Frostin Pride, instant pudding and coffee creamer to make a mousse that requires no refrigeration. I see some people use powdered coffee creamer and hot water in their butter creams. Can this be done safely if the butter cream contains real butter? Do you think powdered french vanilla coffee creamer would be a good substitute for the 1/2 cup liquid in the mousse recipe someone posted for me a couple of days ago. I read the bottle of the non dairy creamers in the store and they say to refrigerate so I thought the powder might work. Does anyone now the ratio of water to creamer? Thank you.

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat191

I see some people use powdered coffee creamer and hot water in their butter creams.

American buttercreams use LOTS of powdered sugar and only a small amount of liquid. The sugar is sufficient in quantity to control the water activity in the small amount of liquid and make the frosting shelf stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I read the bottle of the non dairy creamers in the store and they say to refrigerate so I thought the powder might work. Does anyone now the ratio of water to creamer? Thank you.

If you reconstitute the powdered cream with any liquid, it will require refrigeration, if not consumed within four hours. (Same principle works for non-fat dry milk powder which doesn't require refrigeration until it's reconstituted.)

Just having "sugar" in any type of recipe doesn't automatically mean the product is shelf stable.

Why not use extract to flavor your mousse. icon_smile.gif

HTH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:38am
post #3 of 4

What about non dairy powdered creamers? Sugarshack uses it in her frosting and I don't remember it saying it required refrigeration. Now I'm so confused.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:56am
post #4 of 4

sugarshack is making an American buttercream, not mousse. icon_smile.gif

American buttercreams use LOTS of powdered sugar and only a small amount of liquid. The sugar is sufficient in quantity to control the water activity in the small amount of liquid and make the frosting shelf stable.

Just having "sugar" in any type of recipe doesn't automatically mean the product is shelf stable.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%