Beginner Lesson

Decorating By wernie Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 12:25pm by wernie

wernie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wernie Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:31am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone - I hope this is the right place to post this icon_redface.gif

So I have been asked if I would be willing to do a basic cake/cake decorating lesson by one of my colleagues. I will be teaching her partner. She said that he needs to learn things like how to make a good BC, basic piping, etc. so we're not even going to deal with fondant at this point. So my questions are:

What would you think should be charged? ($x per hour)

What would be good to include in a basic beginner lesson? I am thinking of making BC, making chocolate ganache, piping cupcakes with 1M tip, crumbcoating and frosting a cake....what else?

Thanks for your help!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:43am
post #2 of 6

It's hard to tell you what to charge, only you know what your time is worth.

Maybe include basic piping skills like rosettes, basketweave, stars, drop flowers, shells, reverse shells, writing on a cake, and b/c roses.

dorothymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorothymarie Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 6

I wouldn't charge anything. I show people how to make things all the time and just have fun doing it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 6

Personally I'd direct them to a Wilton class. icon_smile.gif It would be a cheaper option than what I would charge for a one on one session.

How much you charge will depend on what exactly you are offering. Are you buying all the supplies or giving them a list of what needs to there already? Are you baking cakes or having him do it ahead of time?

How long do you plan to spend on the lesson?

wernie Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Personally I'd direct them to a Wilton class. icon_smile.gif It would be a cheaper option than what I would charge for a one on one session.

How much you charge will depend on what exactly you are offering. Are you buying all the supplies or giving them a list of what needs to there already? Are you baking cakes or having him do it ahead of time?

How long do you plan to spend on the lesson?

I'm in Australia, so don't really have Wilton courses around. I will just be telling them what to have on hand (ingredients) and then to have made a cake/cupcakes ahead of time. I'll be bringing my piping bags and tips because I think he used to use a plunger type of thing that broke and doesn't really have the basic supplies yet. I'm not sure how long I plan to spend on it - just kind of see how things go and have fun along the way icon_smile.gif

I think I will just tell them whatever they feel is appropriate because I really do not know.

But, any other suggestions as to what would be good to include in the lesson would be appreciated!

wernie Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 6

Anyone, anyone? icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%