Fat Daddio Mad Dadder Pans Review And Warning!!!

Decorating By BGchef Updated 13 Feb 2015 , 12:25pm by EdieBabe

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 12:18pm
post #61 of 66

I bought the Mad Dadders...used once....HATED THEM!  I really don't like FD pans at all....the anondized finish on their regular pans make all my cakes come out with really, really browned crusts....much darker than my Magic Line pans...which I am sticking with!

GAILEMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GAILEMI Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 3:03pm
post #62 of 66

I used the nails but found I only needed them for the 14" pans - be sure to put them head side down because they tilt & are hard to get out.  Love the pans!

Ginette Periard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginette Periard Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:53pm
post #63 of 66

Hi

I was looking to purchase those pans and went on my supplier's web site and found a page with instructions.

I think that your next test might work, you need to use a heating core or metal flower nails.

The instructions are in French.  This is the link: 

http://vincentvariete.com/admin/useruploads/files/instructions_pour_cuisson_des_moules_mad_dadder.pdf

They might have an English version.

Good luck!

dt2190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dt2190 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 9:00pm
post #64 of 66

I was just reading your review.  Did you follow the instructions from Fat Daddio to reduce the baking temperature for each level of the cake (315 - 280 degrees) and use the heating core or flower nails to even out baking time?  I am ordering these pans and they have glowing reviews, but yours concerns me.  If you followed the recommendations from Fat Daddio, I may want to cancel my order.

dt2190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dt2190 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 9:18pm
post #65 of 66

I was disappointed that there were no YouTube videos related to baking/assembling these cakes.  Since these are old posts and this is 2015, I wanted to share the information that I found.  There is now some information on the Fat Daddio website that discusses the different oven temperatures that should be used for each cake pan dimension.  There are also some pictures showing the various ways the cakes can be stacked.

When it comes to the heating cores, most people recommended using multiple flower nails, especially in the larger cake pans.  I also noted that there were complaints about the flower nails sinking into the batter and being difficult to retrieve.  One person replied that they used parchment paper to stick the nails into so they would remain on top and be easier to retrieve after backing....I can't really visualize how that would be done.

The Fat Daddio website also suggests that heating cores can also be used; you put batter into the center of the core so that when it is removed, you can plug the whole in the cake.  When I went to order the 4" heating cores, all the reviews stated that these cores shouldn't be used in the topsy turvy cakes.  I am writing Fat Daddios to see if that is true and what cores should be used.

I have the same concerns regarding stacking, but my pans haven't arrived yet so that is still to be seen.  I would assume you would dowel the cakes down the center to stabilize them and keep them from rolling off the cake.  I've never done a topsy turvy cake, so this may be a poor assumption on my part.

EdieBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieBabe Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 12:25pm
post #66 of 66

AGood times

Since you asked for people to speak up if they've had good times with the crazy slanted cake pans here goes...

The first big cake that I ever made and sold I used petal craft topsy-turvy cake pans and in the big one I used a heating core and I've used those pans a bunch times since and they're fine and those are the only ones that I have that are petal craft the rest of my cake pans are from various makers (not Wilton though... too flimsy and way to pricy for cheapo quality) but I do have a several of fat Daddio's and I love all of them. I remember worrying about whether the topsy-turvy cakes would bake evenly or not but I just went to the petal craft website and looked in the frequently asked questions section which explained how it works and that worked for me. I also remember liking the idea from the lady on petal craft about covering her cake pans when she makes the cakes so they don't dome up... interesting thought that I meant to try but still haven't. Anyway my point is I have a good experiences with topsy-turvy cake pans in my very old gas oven in Canada in a humid climate and the door on my 1950's gas oven doesn't even close properly and I still get even a baked cakes from petal craft brand Topsy turvy pans and with my Fat Daddios cake pans even though they're not topsy-turvy mad hatter ones they all deliver good quality end products over and over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%