Cake Disaster In The Making!!!??

Decorating By ChelleW Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 3:53am by ChelleW

ChelleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelleW Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:38am
post #1 of 6

I have made little shoes, flowers and a cross for a Christening cake due next weekend so I do have some time to salvage!!

The problem is anything that I have coloured (very delicate shade of pink) is just not drying!! The white flowers seem to be fine just a bit sticky! We have had a lot of rain and I don't have air-conditioning or a sealed room. The shoes are holding up surprisingly but are very slimy!!!! My flowers were nicely shaped and now they are a slippery mess!!

I am happy to start again with the flowers but want to avoid same thing happening - and def don't want to remake the shoes - any ideas?!

5 replies
SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:51am
post #2 of 6

What did you use to make them? Fondant? Gum Paste? And when did you make them?

ChelleW Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:53am
post #3 of 6

I made them in modelling paste - ready made stuff - but they are bahaving more like i made them from fondant!! I made them 3 days ago!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:16am
post #4 of 6

I have had this problem before, the rain has been rather excessive this past year here in QLD.

I actually put my pieces in the oven on fifty degrees for five minute and once they have cooled will dry nicely , the other thing I do is get one of those closet camels or hippos and pop them in a box with the items you want dry. a styrofoam box is great for this if you can get one . but cardboard will do in a pinch.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:17am
post #5 of 6

Try putting them in a shoe box with several silicon packets.

ChelleW Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:53am
post #6 of 6

I have had them in with silica packets and a hippo thing for a few days and they seem to be drying well! Phew! The rain has also stopped so hopefully won't end up in cake disasters after all! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%