When/how To Draw The Line?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 1:05pm by tiggy2

CiNoRi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 11

I recently had someone ask about a grooms cake that I had previously created. In this email the person seemed to almost seemed to ask on if i can help them create the given cake... FYI: the wedding is a few hours away - and on average grooms cakes go, that delivery cost could be as much as the cake itself - and i charge almost nothing for milage!)

I responded like i usually would to a request... for if *I* make the cake/ average costs/ etc...

The would you ever help anyone like this? I mean we help each other here all the time... but this person contacted me via my business...i just dont feel that mixes well.

I dont want to be a jerk, so if you agree how would you handle this kind of thing?

Thanks!!

10 replies
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 11

Is it a cake that they could find some how to's on the internet to help them? If so, I'd direct them that way.

Melvira Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 11

Just to be clear, what kind of help are they asking for? They want you to teach them to make it, they want your recipes and instructions, or they want you to help by 'donating' the cake for free or reduced cost?

And is the person someone you know? Or just a random person that knows you do cake? And similarly, the bride and groom, do you know them? That part doesn't matter as much, but just curious. I can't really say what I'd do unless I know what exactly they are asking for. Did they ever reply to your estimate for what it would cost?

CiNoRi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Is it a cake that they could find some how to's on the internet to help them? If so, I'd direct them that way.




No its one if my own icon_wink.gif

CiNoRi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Just to be clear, what kind of help are they asking for? They want you to teach them to make it, they want your recipes and instructions, or they want you to help by 'donating' the cake for free or reduced cost?

And is the person someone you know? Or just a random person that knows you do cake? And similarly, the bride and groom, do you know them? That part doesn't matter as much, but just curious. I can't really say what I'd do unless I know what exactly they are asking for. Did they ever reply to your estimate for what it would cost?




It wasnt very clear, so thats why I responded with my usual "Sure I'd love to make a cake for you...etc."

My guess is they want me to tell them how i created the design/ figures/ details.

I dont know them just contacted me via my site.

No response yet... will keep you posted, but i figured this kinda thing is bound to happen more often than not. I'm in the cake making/ decorating business... not teaching... i dont mind helping give pointers, or helping people here... but i just feel there has to be a point where I draw the line...it is my lively hood here icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 11

Hmm, yah, I'd sort of take a 'wait and see' type of attitude about it, and see what they say to your estimate. If that's not what they want, they need to sign up for classes somewhere. Let them know that they can take the Wilton courses to learn the process. If they write back and tell you that they want you to teach them to make this cake I'd just let them know that you do not do classes. Your schedule simply won't allow it. Or, quote them a nice compensatory amount to teach them and either you'll make some $, or they'll drop it. Best of luck on this. thumbs_up.gif

CiNoRi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Hmm, yah, I'd sort of take a 'wait and see' type of attitude about it, and see what they say to your estimate. If that's not what they want, they need to sign up for classes somewhere. Let them know that they can take the Wilton courses to learn the process. If they write back and tell you that they want you to teach them to make this cake I'd just let them know that you do not do classes. Your schedule simply won't allow it. Or, quote them a nice compensatory amount to teach them and either you'll make some $, or they'll drop it. Best of luck on this. thumbs_up.gif




Thanks for your thoughts!

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 11

It would cost more for them to take lessons from you to learn how to do the cake then it would to buy the cake from you icon_smile.gif

CiNoRi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

It would cost more for them to take lessons from you to learn how to do the cake then it would to buy the cake from you icon_smile.gif




LOL Agreed!! icon_wink.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:01am
post #10 of 11

If they are looking for (free) instructions so they can make it themselves then I would answer that they can either order the cake from you or you charge $XX amount for private lessons.

tiggy2 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 11

$30/hr sounds about right to me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%