Using Rice Krispie Treats Questions

Decorating By volleykjh10 Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 5:08pm by jones5cm

volleykjh10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleykjh10 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 6

OK these are my questions:
1. how long ahead can I make the RKT mix and mold it?
2. if I cover the RKT mold with Buttercream icing and then fondant, then do I have to refrigerate it?
3. is it easier to mold if warmer or cool?
I would like to make a tower for my tangled cake this weekend. Thanks for all your help

5 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 6

I"m curious too!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 6

1. I would venture to say weeks ahead; but mold it as soon as you make the RKT so it will form to your mold/shape while still a little warm.
2. I usually refrigerate before covering w/ MMF so that I have a nice firm shape to take the MMF (hint make sure your BC is smooth for a smooth covering of fondant).
3. definitely warm; but not hot!
HTH!

volleykjh10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleykjh10 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm

1. I would venture to say weeks ahead; but mold it as soon as you make the RKT so it will form to your mold/shape while still a little warm.
2. I usually refrigerate before covering w/ MMF so that I have a nice firm shape to take the MMF (hint make sure your BC is smooth for a smooth covering of fondant).
3. definitely warm; but not hot!
HTH!

Thank you for your quick response. But I have one more question....is MMF the most common fondant used by cake decorators? As you can see, I'm a newbie and have never used MMF. I typically use Wilton or Duff's already made fondant. Is it difficult to make MMF. Thanks again.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 6

I think a lot of us use SatinIce. Many of the "TV decorators" use Satin Ice.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 6

Well, homemade MMF is another entire forum thread in itselficon_smile.gif. Some prefer making it; some don't. It really is a personal preference (to mess or not to mess with it!) IMHO, I save tons of $$ making my own MMF and it works for ME! But try it; you just might like it and find it as easy to work with as the store bought/ready made typeicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%