Taking Cakes Out Of The Freezer.....

Decorating By sarahb2004 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 10:58pm by BecuzImAGurl

sarahb2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahb2004 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have some frozen for an event on Saturday. What is your normal timeline on taking them out, decorating etc?

TIA!!

6 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 7

If I have a cake due Saturday, I usually take them out Thursday before I leave for work in the morning and they're thawed when I get home 9 hrs later. But it only takes a few hours - you dont have to leave them out as long as I do. I fill, crumb coat and cover in fondant Thursday night, decorate Friday night and deliver Saturday. HTH!

sarahb2004 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 7

Ohhh perfect!! Thank you so much! One more question though.....when you cover in fondant thursday how do you store it? Sorry and thanks a million!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 7

I take mine out on Thurs too. Only difference, I fill re-wrap and let sit overnight before icing. Just to let them settle a bit.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 7

They just sit on the counter overnight once they're crumb coated and/or covered in fondant. The crumb coat locks in the freshness, so leaving it on the counter overnight doesn't hurt it. I also use ganache to crumb coat instead of buttercream. I like it better than buttercream because I don't ever have issues with air pockets, after cake settles a little, and I can always get crisp, clean corners with ganache - and I can't with buttercream! icon_smile.gif

sarahb2004 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you thank you thank you!! You're both the best!!! icon_biggrin.gif

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 7

Please keep in mind that only cakes filled with buttercream can be sat outside overnight, anything else that is perishable like cream fillings, mousses needs to be in the fridge even ganaches because they do contain cream & butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%