Can This Be Done In Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By vanki Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 4:40am by vanki

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone!
I am looking to make a cake topper from a picture and was wondering the best way to go about it. I will attach the pic below. The only thing i can think to do is to mold it out of modeling chocolate or maybe some gumpaste? any ideas are greatly appreciated! the original plastic topper is over 70 dollars so the only way for me to get it would be to make a replica on my own.

am i crazy to try this?!?!

thank you!

6 replies
vanki Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 7

ok. the picture wont upload so here is a link to view it. thanks so much!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2053734

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:37am
post #3 of 7

I think I would use gumpaste so the pieces would dry harder and be more stable.

It looks like alot of work, good luck and post pics when you're done.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:51am
post #4 of 7

Looks like a ton of work - honestly, unless you have experience w/ doing such highly detailed figures, $70 may be worth it. Good luck.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:42am
post #5 of 7

if you're going to attempt replicating that I sure hope you have some serious artistic skill... otherwise you may be best suited to purchase the piece and save yourself alot of time and headache...

i guess you're trying to cut costs...? how come this wasn't figured into the price of the cake...?

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:07am
post #6 of 7

I think you should give it a try if you have the time. Good practice if nothing else. To get the details on the faces modeling chocolate is good cause it will give the extra modeling time before drying out. Good luck! can't wait to see it!

vanki Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:40am
post #7 of 7

The biggest reason i was trying to avoid purchasing the finished piece is because i am making it for my friends bridal shower and it is out of the kindness of my heart (and not necessarily my bank account!)

Thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%