Cake To Feed 100

Decorating By cookieelf Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 7:31pm by matthewkyrankelly

cookieelf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieelf Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a graduation cake for church this coming Sunday. It needs to feed 100 people. The largest pan I have is the 12x18 from Wilton. For those of you that are used to making one this large, how do you suggest making it to feed that amount of people?
#1 It has to be transported 3 times before making it to it's final destination, someone else is taking it to the church for me.
#2 If I go out with it, I will have to build a board. No big deal but then I run into the dilema of how to carry it and how to cover it since I have to give it over to someone on Saturday and them transport it the last 2 times before it makes it to the church...

Thank you in advance for any advise/suggestions!
GP

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 4

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

A two layer 12x18 will feed 98 people.

I would probably stick to that, since a 14x20 board would likely fit in other peoples cars over a board twice as long or wide.

I'd also get some plywood cut for the board so they have a nice sturdy base on it.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieelf

The largest pan I have is the 12x18 from Wilton. For those of you that are used to making one this large, how do you suggest making it to feed that amount of people?

Two 12x18s pushed together will serve 108.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieelf

If I go out with it, I will have to build a board. No big deal but then I run into the dilema of how to carry it and how to cover it...

Build a board with plywood... it will be sturdy and easy to handle. Cover it with fanci-foil, a similar food safe material, or have the cake(s) on their own corrugated cake board if the plywood board is covered with something non-food safe.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 4

I make a two layer 11x15 all of the time. I put it on cakefoil covered foamcore. It is very sturdy and easier to work with than wood and wont bend along the lines like currogated.

That said, since it is for the church, I would consider making two or one and a half if it the only thing being served. But that's more of a generosity thing for the church.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%