Help - Lemon Curd Cake Falling

Decorating By Acentrix04 Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 3:01am by pastrygirls

Acentrix04 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 7

I had a sample cake made for my girlfriend with lemon cake and lemon curd filling covered in a Swiss bc. Once she cut into the cake it was starting to slide off. Then she traveled about an 1 hour to her home and it fall over. It was a small 6" cake 2 layer.

How do I make the curd thicker to avoid it from falling on her Wedding day??? Of course the cake will be covered in Fondant. Will the fondant provide the stability I need to prevent this from happening on her big day? Of course it will have dowel rods to support the top tier of a 6" cake.

I normally use a German, Dr Oetker Cream Thickener, for my whip cream or mousse fillings. I never had this happen before. I live in Colorado and her wedding is in July.

HELP!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif

6 replies
jawalk Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 7

You need a dam of really thick buttercream just inside, between the layers before you but the lemon curd filling in.

TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 7

When it comes to slippery fillings a thinner layer of them is the best. If you get the layer to thick, that is when they tend to sliced and move around.

Sassy74 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 7

Any time I do a citrus curd filling, I put a think layer of buttercream filling first. That way, the curd filling layer is thinner, and the BC gives it something to "grab" onto. So basically, the filling is half BC and half curd. It also cuts some of the tartness of the curd. Never had one slip. Oh, and ditto about the BC dam. Definitely keeps things in place. There's no way a curd filling will hold up to fondant without some type of stiffened dam.

carmijok Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 7
Originally Posted by jawalk

You need a dam of really thick buttercream just inside, between the layers before you but the lemon curd filling in.

Agreed. I've used fairly thick curd fillings before and this always works. That and a dowel through the center of the cake...even just a 2 layer cake.

Acentrix04 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 2:42am
post #6 of 7

I did use a thick dam for the curd, but I may have put too much curd. I will definitely try this again. Thank you all for your wonderful solutions and looking forward to sample number 2... icon_biggrin.gif

pastrygirls Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:01am
post #7 of 7

another thing you can try is to add some gelatin to your curd to help stiffen it up a bit. that way you dont have to worry about it running out of the cake when it's cut. it should hold like a mousse filling will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%