Can I Bake And Decorate 2 Days In Advance?

Decorating By FUFULICIOUS Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 3:02pm by Kellbella

FUFULICIOUS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FUFULICIOUS Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 7

I have to bake a 2 tier cake for my grandsons birthday for this saturday and i wont be here this friday .So iwanted 2 bake it and decorated thursday .one tier is wasc with crusting buttercream covered in fondant and the other red velvet with creamcheese buttercream covered in fondant . Would it be okay to make it on thusday ? thank you in advance

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 7

y concern would be the cream cheese bc under the fondant. It might have to be refrigerated and there have been numerous reports on here of the cream cheese breaking down the fondant. I dont' use cream cheese, so I can't say for sure.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 7

I use cream cheses icing all the time and it will not hold up under fondant or gumpaste. It tends to melt the fondant sorta and gets gooie under the fondantif not makes it slide off the cake. If you decorate late and refrigerate it in a closed box it might hold up better but it wil be a 75% chance of it being ok.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 7

I have used cream cheese under fondant with no problems at all. I keep the cake in a cool, dark room. I never let it sit out for more than a couple of days, if it's taking longer, I will stick it in the fridge.

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 7

Cream cheese frosting is not as thick so it will not hold up as well, but is sure is yummy. Two days is fine, my last red velvet cake held up just fine for two days with cream cheese frosting.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 7

MY cream Cheese frosting holds up fine under fondant. What I do is make my Cream Cheese frosting... Then take 1/2 of it and add an addtional 1 cup of powdered sugar. I use the thinner one for the filling and the thicker one for covering the cake and I have zero problems

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

MY cream Cheese frosting holds up fine under fondant. What I do is make my Cream Cheese frosting... Then take 1/2 of it and add an addtional 1 cup of powdered sugar. I use the thinner one for the filling and the thicker one for covering the cake and I have zero problems

That's a good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%