Need To Make Smooth Chocolate Icing For Our Wedding Cake..

Baking By scooteruk Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 5:14pm by scooteruk

scooteruk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scooteruk Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 14

Hi

I will be getting married in a week and a half and being a passionate cook I want to make the wedding cake.

I have been practicing making the roses from fondant and have finally perfected that and have a great recipe for the cake but have no idea how to make a smooth chocolate finish on the cake.

A few things to note are I have to make it on the Thursday (Friday is my stag!) and the Sunday will be the day of the food, drinks and celebrations as we get married on the Monday and go straight on honeymoon. (Strange I know!)

Anyway, I just want to make sure that it can be kept in the fridge for 2 & a half days without spoiling and mostly that I can make a smooth chocolate finish. It can be icing or anything that is not too soft such as buttercream. (unless more solid?)

Can anyone suggest a recipe for this? I have seen many techniques on cake sites such as smoothing with a palette knife, patting with paper towels or rolling it out so happy to incorporate one of these if I can find a recipe.

Appreciate any help!

Scott

13 replies
cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 14

use chocolate ganache

scooteruk Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 14

Hi

Ganache is an option but its quite difficult to get that smooth even satin finish across the whole cake isn't it?

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 14

Are you opposed to fondant? Chocolate fondant would probably be the easiest and look the cleanest. The fondant also has the benefit of holding in the moisture. Thursday to Monday sounds like a long time to leave the cake out. Can you make the cake Thursday and the fillings/icing, freeze it, then stack, dirty ice, cover in fondant and decorate Saturday. Also most will recommend to not to put the cake in the fridge as it will dry it out, unless you are using a perishable filling.

Anyway, I hope that helps, I am sure others with more experience will chime in too.....Jenna

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 14

It's also not advisable to store a fondant covered cake in the fridge.

scooteruk Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 14

Chocolate fondant could be a good option, I guess I have been avoiding it as I know it has a few different ingredients which could be tricky for me. I live in Finland (have done for 7 months) and my Finnish skills are not great, guess I may have to just use google translate!

I can make the filling and decorate on the Saturday but do you think if I made the cake base on the Thursday afternoon it would keep until the Sunday without Freezing?

If I made the fondant on the Thursday will that be ok in the fridge until Saturday when i`m ready to roll it out?

Thanks!

p.s
If anyone has a good chocolate fondant recipe they recommended please feel free to drop it in..

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 14

You could make the fondant asap, it will keep well in the fridge, and should be made ahead of time. Marshmallow Fondant (MMF), is basically marshmallows and powdered sugar, here is a recipe here on CC http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2408/chocolate-marshmallow-fondant
I haven't tried it, but gets good reviews.

I usually try and freeze my cakes if possible, I find it makes them more moist. Just make sure they are wrapped really good without trapping too much air in there.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 14

scooteruk, you could use ganache under the fondant. Here's a great tutorial.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

And a very detailed marshmallow fondant recipe.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 14

Fondant seems to be a good option and I always refrigerate all of my cakes including fondant and never have a problem, I just instruct to keep out aprox an hour prior to serving and everything is fine. And if they are picking up than I know it will transport alright even with a few harsh turns and bumps.

thetovars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thetovars Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 14

Defenitely chocolate ganache!

scooteruk Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 14

Ganache under the icing definitely seems to be a good idea! Will do.

When i was test making the fondant roses last week I used a very simple recipe by combining good quality chocolate and light corn syrup, is there a reason that people don't use this recipe to make the fondant icing for the actual cake? Consistency seemed good and tasted ok but guess there has to be another reason..

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteruk

When i was test making the fondant roses last week I used a very simple recipe by combining good quality chocolate and light corn syrup, is there a reason that people don't use this recipe to make the fondant icing for the actual cake? Consistency seemed good and tasted ok but guess there has to be another reason..

You actually made modeling chocolate (candy clay) not fondant icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:25pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteruk

That's modeling chocolate/candy clay.

This is a cake covered in what you made:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2053599/

scooteruk Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:14pm
post #14 of 14

Ok, this makes sense now!

Well I guess I still need to find a chocolate fondant icing recipe then..

The one above made with marshmallows seems good but does anyone know of anything easier for chocolate fondant?

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%