Help With Making A Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm by cakegirl1973

Heavenlydelights107 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 8

HI ladies,
While I am not new to cake decorating, I am def. new to covering a cake in fondant. I have covered small things and a small ball pan in fondant w/o issue, but I am worried about this 12" square I have to cover, along with a 12" box lid I have to cover.

Any tips to help make this as easy as possible?

Also, I am filling it with Bavarian, there for it needs to be refrigerated over night. Can I put a fondant covered cake in the fridge?

Thanks!!!
Amanda

7 replies
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 8

Wow, no responses! icon_sad.gif

mena2002 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 8

I refrigerate my fondant covered cakes all the time without any issues. For covering the 12" square, after you put your fondant on work with the corners first, I find it alot easier that way.

HTH icon_smile.gif

cakification Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 8

I always refrigerate my fondant covered cakes if they have a perishable filling. Ive never had any issues.

As for covering the 12" cake, do you have any kind of mat that you can use to lift the fondant and place it on the cake? It makes things a heck of a lot easier. I use my Wilton mat for this, but theres a great product called The Mat, which looks awesome.

aviles2005 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 8

Hey Ladies, I use a SWBC and i always use fresh fruit curds in my cakes. Well I did a cake last week and its was 90 degrees. When I pulled my fondant covered cake out the fridge to finish the last details. It was sweating and so sticky. I dont work with fondant much but I have about 4 fondant covered cakes this summer and Im so worried about it looking sloppy. can this be prevented.. Its going to be a HOT HOT SUMMER icon_sad.gif

Heavenlydelights107 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 8

Actually, I am using bavarian cream from my bakers shop. they keep it on the shelf, does that need to be refrigerated really?

cakegirl1973 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviles2005

Hey Ladies, I use a SWBC and i always use fresh fruit curds in my cakes. Well I did a cake last week and its was 90 degrees. When I pulled my fondant covered cake out the fridge to finish the last details. It was sweating and so sticky. I dont work with fondant much but I have about 4 fondant covered cakes this summer and Im so worried about it looking sloppy. can this be prevented.. Its going to be a HOT HOT SUMMER icon_sad.gif

This was condensation from the fridge. Don't touch the cake until the condensation has evaporated, then you should be fine.

cakegirl1973 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenlydelights107

Actually, I am using bavarian cream from my bakers shop. they keep it on the shelf, does that need to be refrigerated really?

Nope. Generally, sleeved fillings do not need refrigeration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%