French Buttercream ?

Baking By ylil Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 6:41am by scp1127

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:14am
post #1 of 2

I would like to add white chocolate to a French Buttercream recipe - which by nature is rather sweet (the chocolate)...can I decrease the sugar amount in the recipe without affecting the texture?

Thank you!

Lily

1 reply
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:41am
post #2 of 2

Since all recipes are essentially the same ratio, I would not mess with it, especially to sell it. This is a question for a university nutrition lab. We can give our opinions all day long and it means nothing. If you can find a pattern of French buttercreams with lower ratios, it may be ok. Remember that the yolk is much more likely to make someone sick.

I use French buttercreams more than Swiss, Italian, and custard bases. I understand about not wanting sweet because I don't like sweet either. Can you experiment with adding just enough to get the taste and not have it overly sweet?

Also, if this is for sale, I have found that customers like that extra sweet taste that I hate. I also don't like chocolate and I own a bakery. If I were you, I would find a recipe with tons of rave reviews, make it, and get others to taste it. It may be fine.

I can't get them in my area, but if you can find pasteurized eggs IN THE SHELLS (see FDA), this would eliminate the worry over the sugar/yolk ratio. Then you only need o make sure you have enough stability. Let us know what you find.

I use my French buttercream on a white chocolate cake. The taste is very subtle, not overly sweet at all. This is one of my best cakes. It has plenty of white chocolate in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%