Which Dust Do You Recommend?

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 4:44pm by TexasSugar

AnnieCahill Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 10:54am
post #1 of 5

I need to paint comets onto the side of a cake. I'm using Indydebi's BC so it will be very well crusted. I've only used Wilton cake sparkles in the past which I have not been terribly impressed with. I wanted something with some sparkle/shimmer and I know I can't use disco dust because it's inedible. I've seen shimmer dust and pearl dust and whatever dust in Michael's, and they are all Wilton products. Are those good to use? Is there any other brand that is better? I was planning on mixing the dust with some piping gel or alcohol and painting the comets onto the side of the cake. Do you think that would work?

Thanks for your help.

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 5

If you want to mix it with a liquid, then don't use the shimmer dust. Those do not dissolve in liquid. The pearl dusts mix fine with alcohol and will work well. They are also FDA approved. icon_smile.gif

WhenTalentsCollide Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5

i concur on not using the shimmer dust with liquid... does not work very well AT ALL...

AnnieCahill Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your reply Texas. Can you tell me what the difference is between those two? I wanted it kind of sparkly and pale pale white.

Thanks again!

TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 5

Wilton's Shimmer dust has a thick grain to it.

I used it on this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1761915

It has a bit of a textured look. (I wet the area then applied the dust to it.)

Wilton's Pearl Dust (what is called luster dust from other companies) reminds me of eyeshadow. It's just a fine powder. When mixed with an alcohol and painted with it will be flat to the surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%