Wedding Cake Design Help

Decorating By kvand Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 11:16am by MollyHammond

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:22am
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to make a wedding cake that has a fresh red rose cascade down the three tier cake and a black fondant bow on the middle tier. I have not done a full fresh rose cascade before but after reading a number of posts on here I am not worried about it and I am not concerned about making the bow either since i have done this many times.

My concern is the overall design. I am thinking a bow and a cascade are usually focal points in them selves and having both on one cake will probably look like way too much. (probably the reason I can't find any other online like that).

Does anyone have an opinions about this?? How or would you present this to the client and suggest instead of a cascade scattered rose groups instead. Ugh! I dont knwo what to do about this one... Suggestions anyone??

Here's some pics of what she is after... combine the two ideas

6 replies
kvand Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:23am
post #2 of 7

I tried to post pics but it didnt work... sorry.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:30am
post #3 of 7

The attachment to post software isn't currently working.

Can you post a link to the photos?

Or you can add an attachment using photobucket/flickr:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-716805-.html

HTH

kvand Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:41am
post #4 of 7

Good to know I am not losing it!!

Here's some links
Bride wants a bow like this but with fondant:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53967206@N04/5785105799/in/photostream

MOB who is paying for cake wants a cascade like this but with all fresh red roses
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53967206@N04/5785105759/in/photostream/

hope this works

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:59am
post #5 of 7

both cakes are beautiful, but that many large roses just overpower that cake. See if you can talk mom into being alittle conservative with the size of flowers.

Couple of ideas: Set the bow slightly off to the side, balancing the bow and the flowers. Or bow dead center with flowers framing one side of bow .... curving down from the top and slightly under the bow. Are you doing a round or a square cake?

Again ... smaller flowers will accent the cake instead of overpowering it and will allow the bow to be part of the focal point. If she really really loves large roses (and I must confess, I do too), the larger ones could be at the base, as a sort of 'support' for the upper roses, and the roses could gradually get smaller as they climb the cake.

kvand Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 9:10am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your response! I always look forward to your responses on other posts...

I should have specified that it is a round cake. I was thinking along the same lines as you with the smaller roses instead of the larger roses. i am going to call the florist soon to find out what they have on order.

We have had a consult and discussed the design but since I have been playing with it I feel like its a LOT for one cake. I am having a hard time coming up with a way to present a moderation in the design without causing the bride stress that I can not make her cake.... which I know I can I just worry about the asthetics of it. In the end I know its her cake and her day and the important thing is that she loves it.... but i dont want people to see it and think... "wow thats a lot of stuff on that cake... note to self.... dont order from them."

On that note... any helpful tips you may have regarding arranging the fresh flower cascade would be appreciated... I am thinking the white flower pics with as many as 3 roses fit into each..?? I am just concerned about the amount of holes I'll be poking into the cake... i dont want a cake-slide icon_smile.gif

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:16am
post #7 of 7

I am no expert by any means since I have just started playing with cakes But I have painted many pieces of porcelain with florals. I am thinking of an "S" design with the bow and larger roses in the curve and branch off the S with smaller roses and buds. It keeps the bow And the roses focal andthe smaller roses secondary . It allows the eye to follow tthe design thru. It flows.
HTH
Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%