7-Minute Frosting?

Decorating By Cosima Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 3:03am by lilmissbakesalot

Cosima Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:13am
post #1 of 19

When I was a little girl my mother made a chocolate cake with a 7-minute frosting that was out of this world.

Has anyone used the 7-minute frosting in decorating and if so how?

Just curious cause I know you can't write or decorate on it cause it will run any color.

18 replies
labmom Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:24am
post #2 of 19

that is my favorite frosting! My grandmother would make it for me but she would use white cake with coconut... I still get cravings for it and have to make it but I have learned to make it small because my family has turned into pie and ice cream lovers.

It is such a fluffy and sticky frosting it doesn't really have thet texture for any real decorating. It is just pretty shinny and fluffy... kind of marshmallow
like.

I am trying to find a frosting that is kind of pudding like with milk and flour
that was is my husbands old time favorite. I have seen it but can't find it when I am looking for it..

Coral3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:30am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

I am trying to find a frosting that is kind of pudding like with milk and flour
that was is my husbands old time favorite. I have seen it but can't find it when I am looking for it..

Could this be it?

Heirloom Frosting (US cup measures)

This is a cooked flour frosting, traditionally found with Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake, but it is good with many cakes.

1 cup milk
4 tbsp flour (US tablespoons)
227g butter (1 US cup)
1 cup sugar

Whisk 4 tbsp of flour into 1 cup of milk. Cook over low heat until very thick. Cool completely.
Cream 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of room temperature butter. (Really mix these together, at least 3-5 minutes or more.)
Add cooked flour mixture, and beat until fluffy. It will look like whipped cream.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:30am
post #4 of 19

Yeah... 7 minute icing is not good for decorating with. It's perfect for messy, imperfect, homemade cakes that you are going to serve for dessert at home or a cookout, but not for piping and smooth finishes.

Cosima Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:53am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

My grandmother would make it for me but she would use white cake with coconut...

Oh I've done that with white cake, seven minute frosting and coconut all over and sprinkled it with iridescent edible glitter. It made a beautiful holiday cake with some holly berry/leaves around it. One cake requested very often.

Cosima Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:55am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Yeah... 7 minute icing is not good for decorating with. It's perfect for messy, imperfect, homemade cakes that you are going to serve for dessert at home or a cookout, but not for piping and smooth finishes.

icon_cry.gif I figured as much. I like the taste of this so much. Too bad. So far I've donetwo frostings from this site and loved one and hated the other. I want to start to test different recipes.

aquamom Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:00am
post #7 of 19

I love 7 minute frosting. It is possible to frost a cake with it and then when the frosting is firm add buttercream decorations. I've done this before and will do it again.

Also when you are cooking the frosting make sure the pan that has the frosting in it does not touch boiling water. Otherwise the frosting will be grainy.

Good luck!
Deborah

Cosima Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:13am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamom

Also when you are cooking the frosting make sure the pan that has the frosting in it does not touch boiling water. Otherwise the frosting will be grainy.

icon_confused.gif I've made this frosting several times and it's always over and touching the boiling water. I've never had a problem with it grainy. It's always been silky smooth.

PS: Thanks for the decorating ideas icon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 11:44am
post #9 of 19

You should try a meringue frosting... It's nice and silky smooth like the 7 minute frosting, but you can decorate with it.

I like the Swiss method where you add the sugar directly to the egg whites and heat them over a double boiler.

There are planty of recipes for Swiss Meringue Buttercream on here... I'd avoid ones that use salted butter though... when you use salted butter the icing tastes WAY too buttery. Use unsalted and it tastes like a vanilla cloud.

icon_biggrin.gif

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 19

This cake was done with 7 minute frosting:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1924481

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:20pm
post #11 of 19

Well I must be the minority because I hate 7 minute frosting...It reminds me of rubber!! HA!HA! anyways...brings back memories...

aquamom Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 19

This is a tricky frosting but I love how it looks. I definately want to play around with it a bit more. I've never tried the Swiss Meringue but have heard good things about the frosting and if I get a chance this summer I'll experiment with that as well.

Does anyone know how many days 7 Minute frosting will last on a cake?

tgress13 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:54pm
post #13 of 19

The 7 minute frosting is like the Dominican Suspiro frosting. I use it a lot and you can decorate with it. Besides borders and flowers you can also add fondant accents and decorations on it. I have several cakes in my gallery made with this type of frosting.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1812709
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1910879
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1812760

aquamom Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 19

Tgress13--
I knew there was more that could be done with this type of frosting. I love your cakes. I googled the Suspiro Frosting recipe and will definately give it a try.

Thanks!

tgress13 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 19

Aqua mom here is a link to a website that helped me a lot. You will find more ideas and instructions there.
http://mariscakesenglish.blogspot.com/2009/11/suspiro-dominican-frosting-or-meringue.html

mariscakeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/11/suspiro-dominican-frosting-or-meringue.html

lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 19

I still can't see anyone doing a lot of detail work with it... and not to mention when you leave meringue out it can get spongy. If you are going to make the meringue you might as well just add the butter and vanilla to it and make a true buttercream. You will get a product that is easier to work with and that you can easily cover in fondant when chilled.

I think it really depends on what kind of decorating you are aiming for too. I could never use it because I cover my cakes in fondant and the meringue woudl never hold up under the weight and smoothing process. It would be great for your more plain cakes decorated with piped shells or piped bead borders and such... Wilton 1 type cakes. It's great for cupcakes with a big fat swirl on them too, but I wouldn't use it on a wedding cake since normally they are expected to be more intricate. My humble opinion of course... I'm sure many do use it for weddings, but I know that it wouldn't work for me.

Cosima Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:14am
post #17 of 19

WOW I'm so glad I asked the question. Great answers within! Thank you. Now I look forward to decorating with my favorite frosting! icon_smile.gif

aquamom Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:37am
post #18 of 19

Tgress--thanks for the link. I love the look of the cakes and I definately want to try the recipe.

If I understand correctly you cook the sugar mixture until threads appear right. Are you stirring constantly?

I made a cake for a friend who likes to ski and used 7 minute frosting for the mountain. It was wonderful and well received. It was one of my favorite cakes.

Thanks everyone!!!!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:03am
post #19 of 19

You want to cook the sugar to about 235-240 degrees. Once it starts to boil... don't stir it at all. You can swirl the pan, but it's not going to start to caramelize until it gets over 300 degrees. You want it at about the thread/soft ball stage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%