Swiss Merengue Butter Cream

Decorating By Kaddi Updated 4 Jan 2013 , 5:03pm by SaraClassic

Kaddi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:38am
post #1 of 20

This could be the stupidest decorating question, ever, but can you use a NONcrusting icing under fondant? I can't find a crusting SMBC recipe, but I want to try it for a fondant cake.

19 replies
erin2345 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #2 of 20

yep, you can use SMBC under fondant - it works way better than a crusting buttercream, in my opinion.

Kaddi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #3 of 20

Ooooh yay!!!!! I have hell with regular buttercream.

hrnewbie Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:40am
post #4 of 20

I love SMBC. In fact, when the legislature passes a law to allow it, I fully intend on taking that love to the next level and marrying it. icon_razz.gif

I have done regular (American) BC and find that the SMBC actually works better for me under fondant. And I find it easier to smooth if just doing a BC cake too. It's like the perfect BC.

Again, my love for it knows no bounds. I would bathe in it if I could! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Hmmm....no. That's too far.

FromScratchSF Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:05am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaddi

This could be the stupidest decorating question, ever, but can you use a NONcrusting icing under fondant? I can't find a crusting SMBC recipe, but I want to try it for a fondant cake.

yup, used by top cake artists like ben ron-isreal - good enough for me!

good luck,

jen

BakingJeannie Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 20

Yup! I find that using it under fondant works better than the American buttercream. I love it and another of my fave is the French Vanilla buttercream; it's made with flour, granulated sugar, butter and heavy cream...taste like icecream. Does not do so well in Florida's humidity but I sneak it in when I can. Absolutely delish!!

Cheers!

LisaPeps Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 20

When using it under fondant, you need to chill it so it becomes firm otherwise it's a nightmare to cover when at room temp

aprilismaius Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 20

I agree with everyone, it's the only BC I use. LisaPeps is right, chill it well before applying the fondant.

Kaddi Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:25am
post #9 of 20

Thanks for the replies! Can you flavor SMBC.....such as, adding orange extract to add to an orange dreamsicle cake?

cakeguypa Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:47am
post #10 of 20

You can flavor SMBC with almost any kind of flavoring including extracts, liquers, chocolate.......the sky is the limit!

labmom Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:10am
post #11 of 20

Hello,

Are there any good recipies for this type of butter cream. I have seen it made on tv. I tried it once and it came out kind of curdled. I can't describe how it came out but it wasnt frosting.

if there is some trick to it please let me know.. A recipie for it would be great to (please). or are all the same? I have several in cake books... but I have never looked to see if the instructions were the same, or the ingredients.

I have just stuck with ganache, and regular buttercream.

you can email me or pm me with any information if you want. thanks

FromScratchSF Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:57am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

Hello,

Are there any good recipies for this type of butter cream. I have seen it made on tv. I tried it once and it came out kind of curdled. I can't describe how it came out but it wasnt frosting.

if there is some trick to it please let me know.. A recipie for it would be great to (please). or are all the same? I have several in cake books... but I have never looked to see if the instructions were the same, or the ingredients.

I have just stuck with ganache, and regular buttercream.

you can email me or pm me with any information if you want. thanks

It's in my signature line, but I have my recipe, a full tutorial with photos, variations and lots of questions answered on my blog. I also have my cream cheese version in the recipe section here with full instructions and there is also a link to a long thread where even more questions are answered about it. check it out and let me know how it goes!

pmarks0 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 20

I have to vouch for FromScratchSF's recipe. It's the best one I've tried and I've tried several. And it's now my go-to SMBC recipe. Thanks Jen!

delightfulsweettreats Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 12:46pm
post #14 of 20

Have you ever substituted pasturized liquid egg whites instead of the powdered whites? Was curious if the end result would be the same.

Sonya Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 20

I have recently made SMBC and I love it! However is there anyway to get it white in color? I have a bride that wants smbc but she wants a white iced cake??? Here is the recipe I used:

2 cups egg whites (I used the egg whites in the carton)
4 cups granulated sugar
10 sticks unsalted butter
2 tablespoons PURE vanilla (not the fake stuff, lol)

gretch77 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 9:44pm
post #16 of 20

You can add white food coloring to it.

AZCouture Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 20

If my SMBC cake will not be covered in fondant, and they definitely want white, I ice the outside with vanilla free SMBC. I actually like it with nothing added at all. I'll use the vanilla loaded icing inside though.

Sonya Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for the answers icon_smile.gif I will try white food coloring in my next test batch.

LisaPeps Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 8:21am
post #19 of 20

Use the lightest coloured butter possible. In the UK there is a brand called Lurpak which is really light yellow. Add a touch of violet gel colouring to counteract the yellow. And a little bit then a bit more etc till you get the shade. I don't think it's possible to get true white... I'd personally choose the taste over the colour anyday....

SaraClassic Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:03pm
post #20 of 20

SMBC under fondant... when its cold its heaven and can cover perfectly... BUT heres my question ( from humid and hot Florida) When will I meet me demise having this SMBC under fondant when the butter base starts to soften and that heavy fondant is on top... What do you do? Cant keep a full decorated cake in the fridge too long with flowers etc and get it to a wedding... then it sits out.... Wil I get a mess of saggy fondant and soft SMBC flowing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%