Guitar Neck

Decorating By kimbordeaux Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 9:33pm by SammieB

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:29am
post #1 of 4

Okay, I've fried my brain trying to figure this one out! I am creating a full size/life size acoustic guitar to be delivered this Friday. I figured this was going to be fun easy since I play guitar and have a few around the house. Well, I have plenty of models and making the body I feel is going to be easy and accurate because I've traced one of my real ones to use as a template. My problem is what will be most realistic way to create the neck and then attach it the body. I thought foam. So I found some 1/2 inch sheets at Lowes. Well, cutting the neck shape out was horrible, then I tried a hot knife. Worked a lot better. Anyway, now I think that the foam will not hold the weight of fondant. Not with the length I have to get. I see others say they used foam for neck. What foam are they using? I'm thinking about trying foamboard tomorrow. After I figure out how to make the neck I need to figure out how to attach it. Oh, I'm traveling 45 mins to an hour with cake. I plan to use silver blending fillament for strings. I'm thinking that before neck dries I will insert a dowel vertically under neck to help support neck against cake board. Still confused as to how neck is going to attach to cake. The neck will have a few inches on top of cake.
If anyone has any suggestions please tell!

~Kim

3 replies
SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:45am
post #2 of 4

For mine I used a small 1/4"x2" strip of plywood about 2" shorter than the guitar neck. I covered that in RKT, then smoothed the bumps with modeling chocolate. I put the fondant over that. I just made 3 supports out of a dowel as the neck, then stuck a dowel out of the neck into the cake. It's hard to explain, bu maybe you could look at my pics and figure it out. I used my husbands acoustic as a template. We traveled 45 minutes as well and it held up ine! HTH. If you want pics or need more details just msg me and I'll see what I can scrounge up.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1984012

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you SammieB! I'm told I try to hard. I just want cake to be perfect. How did attach neck to body? The acoustic guitar I'm using does not have the cutout, the cutout at top of body by neck.
Thanks!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 4

I try too hard too. I have to remind myself that I will more than likely never think it is perfect, even if other people think so. But I'm still very much an amateur too, hehe.

I of course had to cut away part of the cake and the fondant to get the neck attached, and my neck had a support going to the cakeboard up by the body. So it was supported vertically by the body, in the middle of the neck, and at the end by the keys. I used two bamboo grilling skewers and shoved the sharp end into the RKT, and the blunt end into the cake, so there was a good 10" of wood holding it on in 2 places, and the cake wasn't having to actually support the neck at all.

For the keys at the end of the neck I used modeling chocolate with toothpicks to attach it, and then threaded my "strings" through there and twisted it, just like if you were actually tuning a guitar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%