Refunding Deposit, Help!!

Business By KalisCakes Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 6:50pm by bakingatthebeach

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:24am
post #241 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyviolet101

There are some angry people on here who are getting very overly worked up over something that has nothing to do with them or their lives. Sorry you have to go through this. Hang in there!

If she didn't want any comments or suggestions, she wouldn't have posted.

Vonda

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:29am
post #242 of 413

Thanks SCP! And I ordered that book; it should be here tomorrow! (though maybe I should have gotten a book on tape instead given the time of year!) I too, believe in bending over backwards for my clients, and I'm (usually) happy to do so; even missed vacations to do so. And I like your voicemail message; I think I'll switch mine right now! icon_biggrin.gif

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:32am
post #243 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybaby

Quote:

There are some angry people on here who are getting very overly worked up over something that has nothing to do with them or their lives. Sorry you have to go through this. Hang in there!

Vonda

I am talking about people calling her a liar and telling her she is nothing but dishonest when that has absolutely not been proven. Its rude.

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:38am
post #244 of 413
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Vonda

I am talking about people calling her a liar and telling her she is nothing but dishonest when that has absolutely not been proven. Its rude.

Ok, I get it. Only the people that agree with her should respond.

Vonda

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:42am
post #245 of 413
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Vonda

Ok, I get it. Only the people that agree with her should respond.

Vonda

lol yeah thats what I said....or not. Many people on here have disagreed with her but have done it respectfully. Really...I am tired and don't have the energy to argue something so silly. Have a wonderful night. icon_smile.gif

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:09am
post #246 of 413

Its been a while since the original post and I am sure while I type this twenty others will post too so - Ok so far I am understanding the following:

OP has unrelated case of client1 ordering cake but failing to pay before deadline and pickup however, OP says she gave them multiple chances to pay for cake (up to day before infact) voiding this caketract (the client actually voided it since they didnt pay by the deadline). This happened in April according to the news as apparently they went to the news with this. The news didnt report on it because the Client1 wanted to work it out amongst themselves.

Client2 has a caketract, pays all fees, gets cake but there is a cake-fail (one tier involved) this client2 would not let OP fix a cake flub. Did that client get refund as OP didnt get to fully fulfill contract due to the client not allowing OP the chance to fix the flub.

Client 3 has one on one consults with OP, gets design down, signs non-refundable deposit caketract that I assume she read fully. Schedules final payment. Then Client3 who knows Client2, witnesses cake flub sometime between February and about 4 weeks ago. Client3 then tries to get with OP about their order to no avail - 1) OP has already owned up to the fact that she should have called them back sooner, 2) OP states in extended news footage that their email ended up in her junk box, 3) Ok so the client has been wronged somewhat but I assume that nowhere in the contract it states that the OP will be available 100% of the time between February and June (they had to have contacted her by June 1st because that is when the original post occurred).

So- Client 3 goes to the news, News girl lumps in Client 1, Client3 and some other numberless clients and decides that there is a Deceptive Business Practice in the CB Bakery. Client3 goes on the news, tells her story, is very distraught and just wants to get out of the contract and not have to deal with the OP, then the OP gets about 30 seconds to rebut it. People start commenting on story, News girl posts the whole OP 13 minute interview and then posts a rebuttal of sorts on the News page and tells us to tune in later for more exciting updates.

Ok Kali, am I correct on this so far...?

Well if so, did you give Client 2 a partial/full refund for the damaged cake (even though you werent allowed to fix it?) Is there a provision in your contract to refund unsatified clients POST cake delivery?

And - when Client3's final payment due? If its two weeks before the June 25th date that would be the 11th, and it's only June 8th last time I looked so you aren't in breach of your contract by not being available...yet.

I think almost everyone agrees including yourself, that you should let your customer's know that you were "out of the net" for three weeks. As far as being hung on the word vacation, you stated here and in the interview that your vacation was to basically get your junk together and get prepped for the upcoming wedding season storm... so I guess vacation isnt really the right word even though I rountinely do spring cleaning on my vacation so I can see how you would look at it.

So back to your original question - should you give this woman her money back... well based on your contract only, a refund is not required, only credit for a cake in the next 90 days or so. Some have suggested that you should give her the money back but I think maybe that would just be adding as much fuel to the fire because it would be essentially a payment given back because she went to the news with it and in my experience if you give her the money back, the NewsGirl who has spent effort clarifying/justifying her story is never gonna do that - "OMG I was wrong, Chasing Butterflies is really on the Up and Up" story. Sorry but I feel the damage is already done with the news story and if Client3 doesnt want you to go ahead with her order then there is nothing for you to deliver in order for her to be dissatisfied with.

Sorry for the long drawn out post but this whole situation sucks for both you and the Client3. But let me just say that I watched the whole 13 minute video and boy that News girl was after the bad baker story. Every question she asked you seemed like she had pre-judged you. Never heard her ask how long you had been doing it, how many satisfied clients you had per year, how many clients you had period, if you ever had this situation before or any information that would have proven you were a bad baker who didnt deliver paid for cakes. (remember she only referenced Clients 1 and 3) Kinda seemed like to me since she just showed up at your house on the spur of the moment that she wanted to catch you off-guard. Didnt seem too fair and balanced to me. Maybe she will prove me wrong with a positive follow-up story.

Good Luck and Bless you for having to go through this but next year at this time you will be a better business person and still a fabulous baker!!!

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:23am
post #247 of 413

Thank you MamaDear, you are on it.
And to answer your questions:
1) Client 2 was refunded 80%. She had demanded 50% on site, but as I told her (and said in the interview) I'm not in the habit of making on-the-spot decisions like that. So I took that weekend to mull the whole ugly thing over, and decided 80% was fair. I decided on this number because while the cake was used, it was damaged and had a very noticeable lean. Had the cake been rejected, a 100% refund would have been in order. Had the cake been fixable but not up to par, 50%.
2) Client 3 actually signed an older version of the contract, which required only 1 week prior to event date, rather than the 2 weeks I now require, which is one of the changes I made while doing evaluations during my vacation.
3) Yes, vacation, as most people think of it, is not the correct word. I'm not sure what the correct word is.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:32am
post #248 of 413

Kali, I think we are gong to be friends! You are young and have learned a lesson that will be very valuable to you in the future. That book has plenty of suggestions on how to turn this around. I have had to do marketing campaigns for people trying to do damage control. This can be turned around to a positive experience for you. If you would like some suggestions, pm me. By the way, notice I didn't answer my call? When you turn into my driveway, my phone won't always ring. Last Thursday I missed a call that my daughter had been taken from her school in an ambulance (she fainted and hit her head... she was fine). After all of those years of arguing with my husband that if you have 911 and roadside, there is no reason for me to be joined at the hip with my phone. Obviously I was wrong and when he had to break from his patients to come home to tell me about my daughter, he was nice enough to not say, "I told you so". Anyway, I have to check my messages all the time because it rarely rings.

Copy anything you want on the site or my message. It is copyrighted and you just got permission on a public forum. Now if you copy my business idea before it is trademarked, I'm coming after you! Kidding.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:38am
post #249 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalisCakes

Thank you MamaDear, you are on it.
And to answer your questions:
1) Client 2 was refunded 80%. She had demanded 50% on site, but as I told her (and said in the interview) I'm not in the habit of making on-the-spot decisions like that. So I took that weekend to mull the whole ugly thing over, and decided 80% was fair. I decided on this number because while the cake was used, it was damaged and had a very noticeable lean. Had the cake been rejected, a 100% refund would have been in order. Had the cake been fixable but not up to par, 50%.
2) Client 3 actually signed an older version of the contract, which required only 1 week prior to event date, rather than the 2 weeks I now require, which is one of the changes I made while doing evaluations during my vacation.
3) Yes, vacation, as most people think of it, is not the correct word. I'm not sure what the correct word is.

Well it sounds like to me based on your story that you have been fair to the clients who were fair with you (paying when they are supposed to and thus fulfilling their end of the bargain.) So if Client3 was actually not supposed to pay the last part of her end of the contract until June 17th then I would say her desperate rush to contact you really wouldnt equate out to canceling the contract. You have already apologized publicly via the news so when you have your chat with her then apologize privately. Sounds like she just wanted out of the contract and went to great lengths to accomplish her goal. Also sounds like the news girl was in cahoots with her, JMO.

I am not in business but I routinely chuck my phone to the side when I am at home with my family...even for friends during my off hours. You do quite a bit of work from home so I suggest you man the phone so many hours a day, post that on your website and do your best to be available during those times (and let your clients know in the contract) because this news story is going to stir up all sorts of calls from clients past, present and future. You just hang in there...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #250 of 413

Has anyone considered that the person who says she was calling the OP actually didn't call her as much as she's claiming? I know that certain of my relatives will say that they've called me when I know they haven't because I have caller ID that records the calls I get. It's entirely possible that a disgruntled customer might exaggerate her own innocence in order to make the other person look worse.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:25pm
post #251 of 413

Even if she hadn't called as much, the OP showed three emails (and gave the dates they were written) in the interview. Exaggeration or not, the OP was clearly ignoring these people.

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm
post #252 of 413

I was kinda under the impression that to clearly be ignoring something/someone, you first had to be aware.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm
post #253 of 413
Quote:

Hiatus, maybe?

I can understand both sides of the story.

The first time I ordered with a new cake supply company, my order was lost in the post. I tried ringing them but there was never any answer and went straight to a voicemail. I emailed them a couple of times and never had a reply. I got quite irate with them, and eventually sent them an email stating I would report them to trading standards, only then did I get any communication from them. It turned out that they only ever answered the phones in the morning, and because I work, I could only ever ring in the afternoon. They never stated this on their website so I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head, I thought I had been scammed.

Hope your situation works itself out. Maybe you should consider putting on your website that you only answer the phones at certain times or something.

WykdGud Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:09pm
post #254 of 413
Quote:

I was kinda under the impression that to clearly be ignoring something/someone, you first had to be aware.

If you weren't "aware" of these people contacting you, then how were you aware of the contact from them (or was it someone else - your story keeps changing) wanting the refund due to the cake collapse? Were these people (or the other people - again, I can't keep your story straight) contacting you telepathically about the refund? And if the reporter showed up mysteriously at your doorstep and only gave you time to change your clothes before the interview, THEN HOW DID YOU HAVE ALL THE EMAILS PRINTED OUT BUT NOT KNOW THEY WERE TRYING TO CONTACT YOU?

I used to investigate for a law firm, and I am trained to observe body language for signs of deception (as in your video interview). I can also read a 1000 page deposition transcript and pick out all the discrepancies in someone's testimony. I am only focusing on the customer service issue, because as I said twice before, I am not out to "get you". But you really shouldn't insult my intelligence further.

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:17pm
post #255 of 413

My apologies. I meant no disrespect, not did I intend to insult you.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:24pm
post #256 of 413

Wow, some people seem to be taking your situation very personally...

Keep your chin up Kali, we ALL make mistakes (yes, some are bigger than others), it is important that we learn from them, and I would say you have. You are paying the price for your error in judgement... this will pass, and you will be stronger for it.

Good Luck!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:32pm
post #257 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

Quote:

I used to investigate for a law firm, and I am trained to observe body language for signs of deception (as in your video interview). I can also read a 1000 page deposition transcript and pick out all the discrepancies in someone's testimony. I am only focusing on the customer service issue, because as I said twice before, I am not out to "get you". But you really shouldn't insult my intelligence further.

Jeeze! Speaking of far-fetched stories....My great grandpa invented the solid body guitar and I have a boyfriend out of state and I am really a millionairess, slumming.

Why do you even care, Wykd? If she is lying through her teeth, why do you care? I would like to see what is going on with this situation without seeing every accusation you have! I thought parts of the story may be BS, but it has proven to be true, so the truth is, nobody knows but the OP, and you are making yourself look foolish. Sometimes things look far-fetched and it really is the truth. BTW, my great grandfather really did invent the solid body guitar, look up O.W. Appleton. I know it has no bearing on this, it is just an example of a statement that seems like a lie, and is actually the truth. Many parts of the OP's story seem wild but they may be true! You don't know!

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:34pm
post #258 of 413

What's a solid body guitar? I'll have to check that out. Very cool!

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:35pm
post #259 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

Wow, some people seem to be taking your situation very personally...

Keep your chin up Kali, we ALL make mistakes (yes, some are bigger than others), it is important that we learn from them, and I would say you have. You are paying the price for your error in judgement... this will pass, and you will be stronger for it.

Good Luck!

Very personal, indeed!

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:38pm
post #260 of 413

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:41pm
post #261 of 413
Quote:

A guitar with no hole, that is not hollow. Think electric guitar. Fender has credit for it, but they knew each other, and my great grandpa had Fender in his basement, showing it to him. What can you do?

I really hope that this all blows over and that you have learned some valuable lessons!

BTW, I love how the stupid reporter says "high-end cakes, costing hundreds of dollars" DUH! If she was any kind of reporter, she would know that high-end cakes start at over a thousand dollars, not hundreds. Hundreds are typical, she must have done her "investigative reporting" at Walmart. Walmart is bottom of the barrel, not even "low-end".

Edited to fix my quotation marks, a set were missing!

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #262 of 413

Thanks Anna! I have learned quite a bit, and I really hope that others can learn from this as well. thumbs_up.gif

WykdGud Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:49pm
post #263 of 413

The only thing I am taking her personally was her response to my comment. If she didn't want me to point out the holes in her story, she shouldn't ask me why I think the story is false.

Do I care if anyone here thinks I "look bad"? Nope. I'm not the one lying on the internet and duping a group of decorators to make myself feel better and justified for engaging in sloppy (or fraudulent) business practices. Oh, I have also never used images culled from CC on my own website.

As I've said, I have no desire to attack anyone. But neither will I let someone do the internet equivelent of looking me in the eye and lying right to my face telling me (and those around me) that I'm the one in the wrong.

Oh, and the only refund ever demanded of me was from someone who bought a cookie from me at the farmer's market a few years ago, and upon walking away noticed the sign that said they were sugar free. She said she didn't know they were sugar free - but was eating it as she asked for a refund. I apologized, gave her back her money, and she walked away EATING THE COOKIE! LOL!

Not sure why having worked in the legal field sounds far-fetched... now if I'd said I was lead investigator with the CIA I can see why someone might be skeptical. icon_smile.gif

p.s. I don't have a license to kill. Unless you count killing threads.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:01pm
post #264 of 413
Quote:

I'm not the one lying on the internet and duping a group of decorators to make myself feel better and justified for engaging in sloppy (or fraudulent) business practices.
As I've said, I have no desire to attack anyone.

icon_confused.gif

WykdGud Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:04pm
post #265 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

I'm not the one lying on the internet and duping a group of decorators to make myself feel better and justified for engaging in sloppy (or fraudulent) business practices.

icon_confused.gif

Perhaps you should look up the word "lie" (saying something that you know is untrue) ... saying someone is lying isn't an attack, especially if it's been proven.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:07pm
post #266 of 413
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

icon_confused.gif

Perhaps you should look up the word "lie" (saying something that you know is untrue) ... saying someone is lying isn't an attack, especially if it's been proven.

You are a liar.

You are duping other people to make yourself feel better.

Your business practices are sloppy and fradulent.

Nope, no attacks there. icon_wink.gif

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:08pm
post #267 of 413

Thanks Anna! I have learned quite a bit, and I really hope that others can learn from this as well. thumbs_up.gif

WykdGud Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:17pm
post #268 of 413

While those things may be inferred by saying what I said, they were in no way an attack.

If I said that I don't have a small p*nis (can I say that on here? LOL!) , that doesn't mean that you do... unless of course you're sensitive to that subject, in which case you might take it personally.

Too much deflection going on here. If the OP is really being honest, why is she avoiding any direct questions?

Whatever - I'm out of this discussion. We're going camping for 4 days (I'm taking a vacation, and will be unavailable by phone and email... just in case anyone tries to contact me), and I need to get busy packing.

Y'all have a wonderful week's end, and I do hope this mess gets resolved. But I have to reiterate that I think the customers deserve a refund and an apology - and the OP needs to get this thread removed because there are people who take these things WAY more personally than I do... especially the photo stealing (oh the things I've seen!)

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:19pm
post #269 of 413
Quote:

especially the photo stealing (oh the things I've seen!)

That is a very serious matter.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:20pm
post #270 of 413
Quote:

While those things may be inferred by saying what I said, they were in no way an attack.

If I said that I don't have a small p*nis (can I say that on here? LOL!), that doesn't mean that you do... unless of course you're sensitive to that subject, in which case you might take it personally.

Too much deflection going on here. If the OP is really being honest, why is she avoiding any direct questions?

Wow, what the crap was that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%