Refunding Deposit, Help!!

Business By KalisCakes Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 6:50pm by bakingatthebeach

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:53pm
post #181 of 413

Thank you Joy, for showing me which one so that it can be taken down and the correct picture put up. Yes, that is not mine. That is the picture that I was sent of a cake a guy ordered for his kid.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:53pm
post #182 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

Yes. It will lock the thread.

Done! Sorry, don't want to be responsible for a thread locking! lol

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:54pm
post #183 of 413

Sorry, I do have a designer and am completely unfamiliar with the free sites.

Unfortunately, I went by what she said and it looks like it was false.

If you google cake sites, you will come across professional photos that are canned art. There really isn't wrong with it if the pictures are not stolen andthey are within the ability of the artist, or referenced.

In my case, I have this very professional site and then I add my photos from my little photo booth and they aren't the best. The quality of my pictures just looks normal, not bad. But with a professional site, I think my photos actually bring down the quality of my site. I'm getting better, but I still have to replace a bunch.

I will wait for Kaliscakes to respond before I comment on what may have been an error on my part if we did get wrong information from her.

Just another case to prove that we no longer live in a vacuum where our actions are only known by a few. We can't fall down on customer service and we can't keep web sites hidden forever. My site is not available on CC because I keep putting off my trademark paperwork.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:56pm
post #184 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalisCakes

Thank you Joy, for showing me which one so that it can be taken down and the correct picture put up. Yes, that is not mine. That is the picture that I was sent of a cake a guy ordered for his kid.

thumbs_up.gif

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:04am
post #185 of 413

I know enough about computers to turn them on and use them, and that's about it. My site was designed and set up by a girl in our area who was recommended to me. The Plex cake was my mistake 100%; I emailed her the wrong picture.
Thank you, Cakes and Joy both, for pointing out errors in the site that could potentially be misleading and/or get my and my business in trouble.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:09am
post #186 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobitedelights

I noticed that in addition to posting the uncut video for the story, the reporter who did the story posted an article with some background for how the story came about: http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/28174995/detail.html

Ok I think that most of us believe that you are being truthful about the situation, but this doesn't look too good gotta say.

Also, I would really hope that you are going over your photos and making sure that the only ones on your site are cakes that you have actually done so that anything that needs to be removed can be taken off immediately.

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #187 of 413

Thanks for the link to the article!! And yes, I just went over the photos, and the Plex cake is the only one that isn't mine. I need to start blowing up the thumbnails before I email pictures; that or invest in some new glasses. Now I need to find the pic of the ACTUAL Plex cake I made!

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:23am
post #188 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobitedelights

I noticed that in addition to posting the uncut video for the story, the reporter who did the story posted an article with some background for how the story came about: http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/28174995/detail.html

Ok I think that most of us believe that you are being truthful about the situation, but this doesn't look too good gotta say.

The problem is it is unclear whether the individual featured in the story is the same one described in the original post. The situation as described there does not mention being out of contact emphasizing a client who wants their deposit back because of an incident at a prior event.

The news report only mentions the individual's inability to contact KalisCake. It does not say what the emails or phone calls were about. Nor is this mentioned in the uncut interview, both the story and the interview both mention a lack of contact.

While this is likely explained by the individual in the story only offering part of the truth, the story and clarification indicate this individual is disatisfied with the service due to a lack of communication. There is no indication she was seeking to retrieve her deposit explaining why she was trying to contact KalisCake. The story and clarification indicate the contact was motivated out of a desire to know what was happening with her order -- this is blatantly stated in the clarification made by the reporter.

I believe both KalisCake's account and the story can be reconciled easily enough--the individual in the story left out the part where she was seeking to recover a deposit she would via the contract forfeit. However it is also to see the original post and the news story as two different people--only the news story identifies the client (unless I missed this is a prior post by KalisCake indicating this is the same person).

At this point I believe it is the former and not the latter. However it is easy to see why someone could assume it is the latter.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:32am
post #189 of 413

That news article is a bit strange. And I also find it a bit strange about the photos on the site.... I have a webmaster and we work closely together on my site, and he only loads up what I send him.

The only time I EVER use photos that are not mine are NEVER on my websites but ONLY in my personal correspondence with customers so they can visualize different techniques, or when they send me a photo they like. I would never ever post a cake on a website that was not mine. Make a dummy cake and photograph it, if you want to show a picture of a cake nobody ordered yet.

I have believed this whole thread so far but now I'm starting to doubt, a tad....esp in light of the news article... plus, no offense, but if the OP is really totally and 100% innocent...I'm surprised, OP, that you are so consistently calm, even about the accusations, and even about the photos on your site...and all the time....if you have been completely truthful this whole entire time, then I wish I had your personality. icon_smile.gif

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:38am
post #190 of 413

I just wanted to add that I live in El Paso. I had been reading this post and never realized that you were from here. I saw the news segment and I will admit it looks bad. Sadly, KFox viewers are more than just Jerry Springer type people. I've lived here all of my life, and even though we are around half million people, this town is small minded. Bad word travels fast.

I don't have an opinion either way.

Vonda

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:22am
post #191 of 413

OP could you please explain this...it's from the story posted by the reporter.

This story was first brought to me back in April with one of Mrs. Wells' clients. There, the client said they paid a deposit of several hundred dollars and attempted to get in contact with Mrs. Wells several weeks prior to the event, then days before the event, trying her phone, online system and even going to Mrs. Wells' home, where she conducts client appointments, to try and pay her. She was unreachable, according to the client. When the cake did not show up on the day of the scheduled event, days later after no contact, the client came to KFOX-14.

We made several attempts by phone to get in touch with Mrs. Wells via phone listed on her website for this potential story. We continually found three separate numbers disconnected. However, when this client decided to handle this issue with Mrs. Wells on her own without media attention, we respected that requested and pulled the story.

Did you take a deposit and not deliver this cake?

Were your phones really disconnected?

What's going on here? At first I'm thinking a contract is a contract...no refund of the deposit. However, the contract is there to protect the client too and if you took a deposit than bailed on this client...well that's not very good business practice.

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:24am
post #192 of 413

The website, as I am learning, I have royal messed up on in my selection of who helped me. And thank goodness for this forum otherwise I would have been none the wiser! So now to find a new web page developer.

As far as being calm: I'm actually anything but calm! The photos totally freaked me out, and the conversation I just had with the girl that does my site was not at all pretty (because of the pictures and because I've just learned from you all that I may have been ripped off.) But because everything is viewable to all, the only place I get to flip out is at home in private by my self in the middle of the night. Everything from tears to wanting to scream to scrubbing the house with bleach. (Does make for a very clean house, btw).
So let's talk about the article:
First complaint at the end of April: The client who didn't pay for the cake by the deadline.
The story that aired June 6: Does not match up with the previous complaint because the previous complaint received no cake due to non-payment.
The other of the two complaints that was received: I have a very good idea where it came from, but have not been told, so I won't say. But it all does relate to the beginning of this thread.
...take from the article: "is my understanding that Mrs. Wells did not take a simple vacation. She completely fell out of contact with customers for several weeks, holding clients' deposit money. They had no idea what was going on or what was to happen to their cakes."
As I explained in the interview, my "vacation" was a year end review of my business, what I needed to change, improve on, adjust, etc. as well as to prepare for the upcoming busy season. During this time I DID NOT answer emails, though for people who scheduled appointments online, I did accept. I do not answer my phone. It says clearly on my website to schedule an appt online. I do not accept contracts or deposits until the cake design process and flavor tasting and selection as finished. I have learned from this that, and perhaps this is because of these wedding shows, some clients are feeling they should have constant contact with me even after the design, tasting, and contract process. This is a point I will from now on be more clear about as far as "what clients should expect". When I sign a contract, I EXPECT the contract to be upheld, on my end and the business' end. It seems not everyone has the same expectation.
"since this story has aired, we've received several similar calls and emails regarding Mrs. Wells business practices. Many of their stories are similar to the one that ran on Monday." So people are calling and saying that after they finalize the design and tasting, and do the contract and deposit... what...? This event has yet to occur, therefor what exactly is the issue?
Part of this "vacation" time has been to evaluate areas in the business that need evaluating. Communication is one of those areas, hence why I have chosen to go to a no-phone, just email or schedule online system. Because unless I start charging more, I can't afford a receptionist. And in this area, people are still learning what these kinds of cakes cost.

Kaybaby Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:33am
post #193 of 413

I'm curious as to where your bakery is? I thought I knew of all bakeries in El Paso and surrounding towns.

As to your comment that people in this town are learning what these types of cakes cost. I disagree, I live in what is considered the affluent part of town. I have been to many weddings/parties/quinces that have had elaborate cakes made by licensed bakeries that were quite expensive. Now, if you are referring to the illegal home bakers, I wouldn't know.

Vonda

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:40am
post #194 of 413

Thank you, CakeStyles, for asking.And for showing me this. I just got off the phone with the news station because that all is a flat out lie.
That was the cake that was not paid for. Depoit left April 15th for event April 30th. Final pmt due April 22. No pmy recieved. Client said pmt would be brought by before April 29th. No pmt on April 29, no cake on April 30.

And phone numbers they found disconnected would probably be person, private landline numbers. the phone number where in extreme cases clients can text me as listed on my website has been in service for OVER 6 years.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:42am
post #195 of 413

KalisCakes, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for this mess you are dealing with. Both in "real life" with your business and here on this forum. You started this thread to get advice about whether or not to refund a "non-refundable" deposit. It has turned into a nightmare for you. You've had bad publicity through the media and now are being accused of being dishonest here...

I have been following this thread because I feel for you and I'm curious about how it will all work out for you...

I don't understand what people think you would have to gain by "lying" to us internet nobodies? It was said that you were trying to get "support", but when all of this started there was not yet a news story? If you were seeking advice, why would you give false facts and expect people to still give you "good" advice?

I guess I just want to say, that I at least, realize that we don't know, and don't need to know all of the details. I don't feel like you need to explain yourself to us and I'm sorry that you have been made to feel like you need to defend yourself.

Maybe I am just being naive, but I want to let you know that I'm rooting for you. I also, want to thank you for sharing all of this. As a hobbyist, working on trying to get a business going, I have learned a great deal.

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:44am
post #196 of 413

Vonda:
I rent my kitchen, and I conduct consults from my home. When I say that the clientele is still learning, for the most part El Paso and the surrounding area is. Upper valley/west side I have found to be more accustomed, and some of the East side.

Kaybaby Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:47am
post #197 of 413

I had a friend recently look to rent a kitchen to bake her breads. She could not locate anyone in the area that rented. She was able to finally find a place in New Mexico. Please share where you rent, I'm sure my friend would love to be closer to town, she lives far east.

Vonda

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:49am
post #198 of 413

Vonda, PM me and I'll give you this place's name. icon_smile.gif Does she mind going to NE?

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:50am
post #199 of 413

Vonda did you just accuse her of being illegal with out even asking? Thats what it sounded like so I am just curious. What is so nuts about this forum is that none of us can trust eachother we could all be liars. I know I am not a liar but I would not expect you to trust me and everything I write here simply because you know nothing about me. What about the reporter? Maybe she is a liar or is a gossip and just wanted a juicy story so she believed everything this lady said. Maybe she is ligit (even if I found her questions to be pretty dumb) The point of all this rambling is that I think everyone should stop accusing her of stuff when in reality you really don't know everything about the situation even if you think you do. If Kali is dishonest it will be found out and you can say I told you so but until someone has some hard core evidence some people should back off a little.

Kaybaby Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:00am
post #200 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyviolet101

Vonda did you just accuse her of being illegal with out even asking? Thats what it sounded like so I am just curious. What is so nuts about this forum is that none of us can trust eachother we could all be liars. I know I am not a liar but I would not expect you to trust me and everything I write here simply because you know nothing about me. What about the reporter? Maybe she is a liar or is a gossip and just wanted a juicy story so she believed everything this lady said. Maybe she is ligit (even if I found her questions to be pretty dumb) The point of all this rambling is that I think everyone should stop accusing her of stuff when in reality you really don't know everything about the situation even if you think you do. If Kali is dishonest it will be found out and you can say I told you so but until someone has some hard core evidence some people should back off a little.

If I had intended to accuse her of this I would have. I don't mince words. What I do know is that the interview looked bad. In this town, bad press goes a long way. My question on the rental was out of curiosity. A friend of mine could not locate anywhere in town that would rent that was licensed. If there is somewhere in town that rents that keeps her from having to drive over to New Mexico I would love to share this information with her.

I am curious as to what happens in my town. I have lived here all of my life and believe me when I tell you, nothing surprises me. It will all work out in the end.

Vonda

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:03am
post #201 of 413

Vonda is correct: finding a rental is next to impossible. Where I rent from, they are personal friends of mine. They'd never even heard of renting out their kitchen!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:15am
post #202 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalisCakes

Thank you, CakeStyles, for asking.And for showing me this. I just got off the phone with the news station because that all is a flat out lie.
That was the cake that was not paid for. Depoit left April 15th for event April 30th. Final pmt due April 22. No pmy recieved. Client said pmt would be brought by before April 29th. No pmt on April 29, no cake on April 30.

And phone numbers they found disconnected would probably be person, private landline numbers. the phone number where in extreme cases clients can text me as listed on my website has been in service for OVER 6 years.

Man...it sounds like you need to find a way to do some serious damage control.
Is there any way you can get that reporter to post a rebuttal by you?

It doesn't seem fair that they're only posting the client's side of the story and you don't get a chance to defend yourself.

I know you don't want to spend time returning phone calls, but as your business grows I think it'll be impossible to not have ANY phone communication.

Maybe you could at least have a phone # with a voice message telling the caller to contact you via e-mail. I know if I call a business and I get nothing but a phone ringing continuously...my first thought would be something isn't quite right. I think you need something that makes you a little bit more accessible than what you are right now.

Potential clients may shy away when they read this article and see how hard it is to contact you. Just some food for thought.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:25am
post #203 of 413

Ok, I'm tired of the spin being put on this while the real issue is being ignored. We are NOT getting the whole story (or the honest one).

OP did not go on vacation - she was simply ignoring phone calls and emails. She said she was responding to requests for new clients, but ignoring the existing ones whose monies she had already collected. She mentioned that the customer was trying to reach her several times by email (which she says is her preferred way of communicating), but the customer was ignored. The customer tried to call - but no answer. If this is the same woman who was demanding a refund, the OP had time to post about it here days before this woman showed up on her doorstep and called the news station. OP says in the interview that calling the customer was what she intended to do - but it took a reported on her doorstep to get her to DO HER JOB!

Sorry, I have no sypathy left for the OP. She left her customers hanging and obvioiusly isn't operating her business in an ethical manner.

I noticed several other discrepancies in the interview, but like I said, I'm not here to slander the OP. I would just like her to fess up (or have this thread killed) and stop insulting the intelligence of CC members. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:29am
post #204 of 413

I just have one more question...when the customer did not make her final payment, thus no cake...how much communication was there before her cake was due? Was she able to call you?

I know I've had a few late payments...I do know also that a few times I really went out of my way to try to contact the person because things happen, and it will make ME look bad if the cake doesn't show up...NOT them, even if they do pay late. The customer needs a few chances to pay...so I was just curious if you were difficult to contact between the time the payment was due, and the time the event was?

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:32am
post #205 of 413

The phone number I do have. And Once I grow more and am able to hire people, I will get someone to "man the phones" icon_smile.gif But for now It's just the voice mail that picks up after a few rings and instructs clients what to do.
Thing is, it's not THAT hard to contact me (though for the last three weeks it has been, even for family and friends! lol. The online booking thing sends a txt to my personal phone so I get them immediately and can confirm.
When I called the news station, the girl on the other line was very sweet, took down the CORRECT information, and I guess we'll see what they do with it. I'm trying very very hard to not post comments, but I'm afraid it's gotten to the point where I really have no choice. No to just word why my rebuttal is. ...that goodness I wasn't planning on sleeping much tonight! icon_smile.gif

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:41am
post #206 of 413

With the no pay, no cake. We called and txt quite a bit throughout the entire process, because they were ordering the cake only 1 month out. They had my personal phone number. When the deadline came and no money, I called the following monday. They said they would be there Friday morning by 10 to bring the money. At noon that Friday I called, and then text. They said they would be by before 5. At 6, I called again and then txt explaining the money needed to be in my hands no later than 8PM. I already had the cakes baked up, fondant rolled, they were stacked and in the fridge, and I was figuring an all nigher for the final decorations on it. By 9PM I'd heard nothing, so instead of going to the kitchen to work all night, I went to bed. On Saturday, at 8PM, I had a large crowd drive up to my house demanding the cake, to which I explained because it was not paid for in full, there was no cake for them. They threatened to call the police, and I told them they were welcome to do so if that's what they felt they needed to do. For the next week they called my personal number non stop, and those are the calls I refused to answer from them.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:46am
post #207 of 413

This might be a lesson learned for the future. If you look at it from the customer's perspective, if there is no notice on your web site stating you will be unavailable for a certain period of time (or preferably emails to all customers with active contracts), they might have assumed that you left town with their cash.

There's nothing wrong with sending all calls on your business line directly to voice mail, but if you don't at least acknowledge your active customers when they attempt to contact you they will assume the worst.

KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:51am
post #208 of 413

@Jason: this is MOST DEFINITELY a lesson learned!!! on so many many levels. And I hope that it is a lesson others can learn through me, rather than have to experience for themselves.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:59am
post #209 of 413

I don't get it...a gang of people show up at your house at 8am demanding a cake they didn't pay for??? Really????

I have never heard of something like that before.

Was it to be delivered or picked up?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:01am
post #210 of 413

She said 8pm, not am.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%