WykdGud Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:08pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalisCakes

I know this seems obvious, but hear me out: I have no clue how to handle this situation. I have a couple who want to cancel their wedding cake with me. They attended another wedding where we did the wedding cake, and unfortunately we had a bit of a cake delivery disaster there resulting in one tier being damaged. Because of this, these clients say they have "lost faith in my ability to produce the cake they are wanting".

Their wedding is June 25th (just a few weeks away.) They signed my contract in February, and left their deposit. They are now wanting their deposit refunded. I explained to them they signed a contract, and that deposits and prepayments are non-refundable, though should they choose to cancel, and prepayments would be applied to another event occurring withing 90 days, as is stated in their contract.

This didn't go over well, and they began to make threats of taking me to court (okay, I have contracts for that reason) and going to the news stations, etc. I don't want to deal with the hassle of the news stations in the event they actually do some kind of report, nor do I want negative publicity. But I also am not inclined to train anyone that a contract is non-binding. Help!!!

So is the wedding 5 weeks away, or two weeks away (June 25th)? Your version is that you have been in contact with them and explained your policy, but then say you went on vacation and were out of contact ...

I based my initial response assuming that your OP was factual, but I'm going to have to revise my statement and recommend you give these people their money back.

cakesbycathy Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:19pm

She doesn't owe them a refund.
The wedding is on June 25th. The client tried to contact her 5 weeks until the wedding (last month) when the OP was on vacation.

WykdGud Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm

Based on what I saw and heard in the video, I would say that while she may not owe them a refund based on the terms of her contract, she owes them one for ethical reasons.

kelleym Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

Based on what I saw and heard in the video, I would say that while she may not owe them a refund based on the terms of her contract, she owes them one for ethical reasons.

For going on vacation 5 weeks before the wedding?

stormrider Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:34pm

Where does it say in the contract that she is not allowed to take a vacation? In hindsight she probably could have set her Facebook status or sent 3 zillion emails but in this day and age it can be dangerous to notify the world if you will be away from your home or business. It could invite robbery or other destructive behavior. If the woman cancelled she knew she was breaking the contract and forfeiting her money. Just because she couldn't reach the OP for a week is irrelevant - she would have lost the deposit either way.

WykdGud Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm

The interview was just done yesterday - both parties clearly state the the wedding IS 5 weeks away (from now), and the OP even says "there's still plenty of time". Too many discrepancies in the story - and based on the OP's body language during the interview, I have my doubts about her version.

That's just my opinion though...

Jenniferkay Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:48pm

I'm still on the fence on this one. While I think the news story was a joke and totally stupid, I do think something is a little off with the entire situation. I can't put my finger on it...but something.

vaniti716 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm

All I can say is wow...i only bake as a hobby but I can not believe this is being done to this baker...the bride should have read her contract and I cant believe that the news got involved with this...how can anyone have a business if the news is going to get involved everytime a customer wants something they cant or shouldnt have....this is horrible, i hope the baker get a chance to truely tell her story bc on the news she was only allowed to answer very shortly while the bribe to be was able to slander this poor woman...i do not agree with the bride at all and i would give her money back and hope no one is able to make her the cake she wants bc she is trouble...big trouble....if i had a bakery i wouldnt want to associate with customers like that...they are more trouble than they are worth...this is the Baker....swetheart I am very sorry that you are going through this and i know things will get better just keep your head up and give that lady her money back she is not worth the trouble she is causing you icon_wink.gif

jason_kraft Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:31pm

To anyone reading the story:

If you feel the reporting in this story was unfair, I recommend contacting the reporter as well as the news director directly. I doubt anyone at the station actually reads the comments from the story.

Reporter: lauren.rozyla@kfoxtv.com
News Director: elizabeth.o'hara@kfoxtv.com

You can also call the station at (915) 833-8585. As always, be respectful and state your opinion as clearly as possible without attacking anyone (even if you think they deserve it).

costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:34pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

If you feel the reporting in this story was unfair, I recommend contacting the reporter as well as the news director directly. I doubt anyone at the station actually reads the comments from the story.

You can also call the station at (915) 833-8585. As always, be respectful and state your opinion as clearly as possible without attacking anyone (even if you think they deserve it).

I'd ignore it and let it die. If it's Fox news they love to take a non-story and make it tabloid-worthy, so they'll drag it out if you do.

jo_ann Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:35pm

Well someone posted that it was on cc

"The version presented here is different from the version posted on Cake Central by the baker - titled "Refunding Deposit, HELP!!!" I don't know who to believe.

FLAG AS INAPPROPRIATE
Jun. 7, 2011 3:30pm MST | from spamandeggs22

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:37pm

Wow. That's messed up. Didn't watch the story, wasn't sure I wanted to.... seems like this would be the nightmare of every baker. icon_sad.gif

WykdGud Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:40pm

LOL! Looks like the cake sleuths are on the case! To OP - I'd request this thread get removed ASAP!

jason_kraft Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:40pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

I'd ignore it and let it die. If it's Fox news they love to take a non-story and make it tabloid-worthy, so they'll drag it out if you do.

My message was directed at anyone reading the story, not necessarily just the OP. If they get enough responses in their email they may take another look at how fair and balanced the story actually was.

SHAUNADRODDY Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:41pm

i am lost as a goose, i thought they wanted a refunded based on what happend at another wedding, but the video mentions nothing of this.

jason_kraft Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:41pm
Quote:

To OP - I'd request this thread get removed ASAP!

Why?

LNW Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:43pm

Wow, I'm sorry it has gotten this far. What are you going to do now?

WykdGud Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:43pm
Quote:

Quote:

Why?

It's gonna get ugly...

costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:44pm
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

My message was directed at anyone reading the story, not necessarily just the OP. If they get enough responses in their email they may take another look at how fair and balanced the story actually was.

Ah...Still, this is the kind of thing that if a lot of people write in, they'll keep paying attention to it. I'd just let it die and they'll move on to the next "scandal" that comes along. Attention in any form will jsut keep it going.

jason_kraft Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:47pm
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

It's gonna get ugly...

I don't see how. The only reason OP would want the thread removed is if she had something to hide.

WykdGud Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:48pm

I've been around for years... I know how these things end. Badly.

dawncr Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:50pm
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

It's gonna get ugly...

Yes, and when that happens, I always think it's wise to take a look at one's own behavior and ask, "Did I say or do anything to contribute to the drama, conflict, and ugliness?"

Social intelligence involves insight about the way one's own actions might be perceived, in addition to understanding others' viewpoints.

AnotherCaker Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:53pm

Because the people involved in the story are going to show, start an account and start slinging accusations. But I must confess, that's when it will be interesting. And if you think that's a horrible thing to say, just excuse yourself from any further involvement, click 'stop watching this topic', and let us voyeurs have our fun. icon_biggrin.gif

KalisCakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm

I'd like to thank everyone for their love and support through all of this. Running a business is never easy, and while we pour our hearts and souls into what we do, unfortunately we will never be able to please everyone.
I am saddened when any situation goes this far, because I feel it is unnecessary. In this forum, we are all supposed to be professionals and use it as a means for advice, tips, professional criticism, unbiased opinions to situations we deal with, to learn from each other and to come together as professionals with a common interest.
Again, I'd like to thank everyone for their time and attention to all of this, the input everyone has given, the many views and sides offered, and for the encouragement that has been presented thus far. I truly value each and every comment, post, suggestion, etc. that has been given, and will use this wealth of knowledge to further my business, and help better myself as a business owner and cake decorator.

AnotherCaker Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:01pm

Pretty crappy situation, I'm pretty confused myself, but you're pretty brave to put yourself out here like this.

ShaunPepe Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:50pm

So I have read this whole thread, read the news article and watched the video. And now I am more confused than ever. Even though I beleive that the OP is the victim in all this, I still don't understand why she has not informed us why the news story is SO completely different than what she has told us. Just curious thats all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%