Refunding Deposit, Help!!

Business By KalisCakes Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 6:50pm by bakingatthebeach

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:43pm
post #121 of 413

Wow, I'm sorry it has gotten this far. What are you going to do now?

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:43pm
post #122 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

To OP - I'd request this thread get removed ASAP!

Why?

It's gonna get ugly...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:44pm
post #123 of 413
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

If you feel the reporting in this story was unfair, I recommend contacting the reporter as well as the news director directly. I doubt anyone at the station actually reads the comments from the story.

Reporter: [email protected]
News Director: elizabeth.o'[email protected]

You can also call the station at (915) 833-8585. As always, be respectful and state your opinion as clearly as possible without attacking anyone (even if you think they deserve it).

I'd ignore it and let it die. If it's Fox news they love to take a non-story and make it tabloid-worthy, so they'll drag it out if you do.

My message was directed at anyone reading the story, not necessarily just the OP. If they get enough responses in their email they may take another look at how fair and balanced the story actually was.

Ah...Still, this is the kind of thing that if a lot of people write in, they'll keep paying attention to it. I'd just let it die and they'll move on to the next "scandal" that comes along. Attention in any form will jsut keep it going.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:47pm
post #124 of 413
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

It's gonna get ugly...

I don't see how. The only reason OP would want the thread removed is if she had something to hide.

WykdGud Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:48pm
post #125 of 413

I've been around for years... I know how these things end. Badly.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:50pm
post #126 of 413
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

It's gonna get ugly...

Yes, and when that happens, I always think it's wise to take a look at one's own behavior and ask, "Did I say or do anything to contribute to the drama, conflict, and ugliness?"

Social intelligence involves insight about the way one's own actions might be perceived, in addition to understanding others' viewpoints.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:53pm
post #127 of 413

Because the people involved in the story are going to show, start an account and start slinging accusations. But I must confess, that's when it will be interesting. And if you think that's a horrible thing to say, just excuse yourself from any further involvement, click 'stop watching this topic', and let us voyeurs have our fun. icon_biggrin.gif

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm
post #128 of 413

I'd like to thank everyone for their love and support through all of this. Running a business is never easy, and while we pour our hearts and souls into what we do, unfortunately we will never be able to please everyone.
I am saddened when any situation goes this far, because I feel it is unnecessary. In this forum, we are all supposed to be professionals and use it as a means for advice, tips, professional criticism, unbiased opinions to situations we deal with, to learn from each other and to come together as professionals with a common interest.
Again, I'd like to thank everyone for their time and attention to all of this, the input everyone has given, the many views and sides offered, and for the encouragement that has been presented thus far. I truly value each and every comment, post, suggestion, etc. that has been given, and will use this wealth of knowledge to further my business, and help better myself as a business owner and cake decorator.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:01pm
post #129 of 413

Pretty crappy situation, I'm pretty confused myself, but you're pretty brave to put yourself out here like this.

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:50pm
post #130 of 413

So I have read this whole thread, read the news article and watched the video. And now I am more confused than ever. Even though I beleive that the OP is the victim in all this, I still don't understand why she has not informed us why the news story is SO completely different than what she has told us. Just curious thats all.

KalisCakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:26pm
post #131 of 413

As with any situation there is a long, lengthy story full of details, all of which has not been discussed here. And with the direction this is taking, I have been advised it would be unwise for me to reveal and details about any of these clients that could be deemed personal or make them identifiable given that it involves more than one client. My lawyer and I are going to go over this entire thread to determine what clarification is necessary, and how it should be worded.
I strive to be ethical and honest in EVERYTHING I do, business and personal.
Thanks again so much to everyone for their continued interest and support. I simply pray that as a business I am able to move on from this, that my current clients know how much I value them, and that all parties involved are able to have the cakes they deserve.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:11am
post #132 of 413

Kalis, get a calendar and mark it available, booked, and closed. Very simple. I do not share my site but in your unfortunate circumstances, I will if you pm me. I also have my refund policy on the site.

There is a book out that deals with this very subject. After this story, we should all be even more aware of the havoc that can be caused by one dissatisfied customer. This is what I tried to convey all along. The plus of this new marketing arena is that it is relatively free to get your name out there. In the past, multi thousands were spent on name recognition, even for small companies. Now, your budget needs to be spent on positive PR for your company. Example... a person posted a negative review about a restaurant. The restaurant, always monitoring the social media, picked up on it. the owner replied personally, stating that he was sorry the person was not satisfied. The owner invited the customer back to the restaurant for a free meal to find something he liked. After several tries, the customer found several things that he liked and now can't say enough good about the restaurant. Many people mistakenly look at giveaways as money out of their pockets when it is, in fact, an opportunity to practice good PR.

There is so much information based on proven practices and case studies that could have stopped this situation. But just as with many big name corporations, they don't listen until a crisis happens. I'm one of those who likes to learn from other peoples' mistakes. I don't feel the need to make them all myself. This is unfortunately, exactly the situation that I suggested she avoid when this thread began.

We should be thankful to Kali for putting herself out there. This will be an eye-opener for some and ignored by others.

Kali, you were on the right path in this situation. Listen to your business heart. You have the ability to rise from this, but it will be tough. After the dust settles, you need to email all of your clients with an explanation. Be careful not to trash the customers, but explain the situation and reassure them. This is the first step. If you have other faults in this, you don't have to share them here. I think you have been brave enough.

Fro anyone interested, the book is,Satisfied Customers Tell Three Friends, Angry Customers Tell 3000, by Pete Blackshaw. This book has a five star rating on Amazon.

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:43pm
post #133 of 413

Did anyone else notice how the "clients" eyes looked up to the left when she was recalling how many times she tried to contact Kali?? Psych 101 teaches movement of the eyes to the left is lying, to the right is remembering. Unless she is a lefty. Then it is reversed.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:01pm
post #134 of 413

If someone asked me how many times I called someone I would have to make a mental count. Also, I have a photographic memory. If I want to read something from a book, an order form, I look up and find a blank spot, usually the top of a wall or ceiling. Then I can "read" what is on the paper.

And If you don't know if she is left or right handed, how can you deduce?

I don't think we should add non-essential conjecture to an already tough subject.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:50pm
post #135 of 413

I think the biggest key to the story as told in the thread (I didn't watch the video, didn't want to be confused more) is that the original client did NOT allow the baker to repair the cake.

In the future, it might be best if the baker insists on repairing the cake. The fact that she obeyed the client and did not repair the cake means that in trying to please the client (I probably would have done the same thing, without this story to warn me ahead of time) she opened herself up to a bad name to everyone else who was there. She probably should have repaired the cake no matter what.

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:17pm
post #136 of 413

There are a lot of could have, would have, and should have issues that are blatantly apparent to everyone in hindsight. Unfortunately hindsight doesn't help when you are in the decision making moment. So often the simplest action or inaction that we decide to take can have the most devastating consequences. Thank you kaliscake for sharing this sad and ugly situation for the benefit of everyone else on this board. Those who are already in business as well as those who may in the future go into business can hopefully benefit from the hindsight in order to prevent in foresight.

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:02pm
post #137 of 413

OP, I just saw the cake photos on your website homepage and they are amazing. Wow, they look stunning and so elegant. I really like the one with the billowing technique. If they don't want you to make their cake, I think is their loss.

I do agree that PR is important. The first thing I do when placing an order at Amazon from another vendor is check the negative reviews and see if the vendor took the time to answer and try to rectify the situation. If they are rude to the customer, I don't order from them.

Hope everything works out icon_smile.gif .

KalisCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #138 of 413

Just another quick update: due to the responses the news station has had, they have already released the full, un-cut interview and linked it to the story.

I have received several wonderful emails, and with the permission of one client, I'm posting hers:
"Hello LeeAnn,
Hope this email finds you well. As you might imagine, I recently saw the article published about chasing butterflies on KFox. I was relieved to find that it appears that the article was a gross exaggeration of actual events. I am looking foward to seeing your wonderful creations on my wedding day and trust that if you were unable to fulfil our contract you would not hesitate to inform me.

Have a wonderful Day!!!!!"

Thank you again everyone, for all your love, support, advice, and encouragement! icon_smile.gif

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:34pm
post #139 of 413

The uncut video is MUCH better! Big surprise though icon_rolleyes.gif In the original video there was this whole mess with the missing cake you took money for but never delivered etc. Its actually explained in the uncut version. I was confused about that after I watched the first video. They definitely edited that story to make you look as bad as they possibly could. You spoke really well though and you sounded great. Once again, Im sorry your going through this.

KalisCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:37pm
post #140 of 413

When they showed up at my home Monday morning, I was in my laundry sweats, hair unbrushed and no make up!!! At least they let me change clothes and put a little bit of makeup on before the pop-quiz. lol. Wish I'd remembered lipstick though

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:45pm
post #141 of 413

Wow...that's tough. That's really pretty unfair. Around here they show stuff on the news but its usually really extreme stuff, like last I watched was some lady doing unlicensed dentistry in her basement. THATS bad. But a personal feud over a cake that the wedding isn't even here yet????

I feel sooooo sorry for you. icon_sad.gif And I still say, that was wrong of the first customer not to allow you to repair the cake. Even the cake people on tv have to repair stuff sometimes!!!!!!! That is the root problem of all of this...a customer who was being too nasty to allow you to finish your job.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:22pm
post #142 of 413

Just watched the uncut video- I can't get over the fact that the news reporter asked the OP why she took a vacation!!!! Geez, lady, I don't know, why do YOU take a vacation? We're not cake robots, we need a break occasionally, and time spent with our family!

I couldn't believe all the questions she kept asking her about that- basically implying that she must be in financial trouble or not competent enough to handle her business because she needed some time off. I would have had a very hard time not snapping at her! You did a great job responding to all of her inane questions and maintaining your professionalism. Way to go, and I am so sorry you are having to deal with this!

WykdGud Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:56pm
post #143 of 413

I can't believe I'm still following this... I need to start subscribing to The Enquirer or something. LOL!

I am still just disappointed in the OP that she isn't being honest here. But whatever. Best of luck.

KalisCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm
post #144 of 413

I'm very sorry you feel I've been dishonest here, WykdGud. If there's a specific question you have, it may be one I can answer without going against what I've been advised to say/not say. As I stated at the very beginning of this thread, this involves a group/family; not just one specific client.
For the record though, I have been EXTREMELY honest, because quite frankly, I'm not smart enough to keep up with a lie.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:19pm
post #145 of 413
Quote:

I can't believe I'm still following this... I need to start subscribing to The Enquirer or something. LOL!

I am still just disappointed in the OP that she isn't being honest here. But whatever. Best of luck.

I'm confused about what you see as being dishonest.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:26pm
post #146 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:

I'm confused about what you see as being dishonest.

Me too...how do you know she's not being honest??

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:28pm
post #147 of 413

added my comment to the 7 pages on the KFOX site. I couldn't believe how slanted that all was.

What a great wedding season start for you.. icon_sad.gif I'm sorry

CakewardHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakewardHo Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:28pm
post #148 of 413

This is ridiculous. These wedding reality shows have created a nation of BRIDEZILLAS. I have a consult, put them on my calendar, and have a check in with them a few weeks from the wedding. I am pretty much a word-of-mouth baker and I have a fairly high stress full-time job. I try to get a sense for how much a bride is going to micro-manage the cake and if they seem like they are going to be calling me every week for 6 months, I direct them somewhere that they can get the "full bride" wedding cake experience. I can't believe that this is news-worthy--REALLY!
We all have had experiences beyond our control--kids sticking their fingers in the cake before the wedding, traffic nightmares, cakes that inexplicably lean, but that can happen to anyone in this business. We are dealing with cake here, not CONCRETE. Your beautiful cakes speak for themselves, this will blow over in time.
I have 2 "fake cakes" (one fondant and one royal icing on styrofoam forms) just in case of disaster that I can "dress up" with ribbon and flowers. I have had brides who are on really tight budgets use/rent these cakes instead of a real wedding cake and I make sheet cakes to serve the guests. I also can't believe that the first bride would not allow you to repair the cake. It seems like people are just trying to get something for nothing anymore.
I have had only one case where the groom backed out of the wedding the night before--he simply did not show up for the rehearsal. The bride, who was a friend of the family, was so heartbroken that I did not have the heart to charge her for the rest of the cake. Thankfully I had not iced the layers yet, so I froze them and when I got orders for sheet cakes, I sold the layers off one by one (wheeling and dealing) and made back the money I might have lost.
This should be a non-story.

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:29pm
post #149 of 413

i feel she is being honest, it is my understanding that the client she posted about originally is not the same client as the one in the interview, just from the same "social group"/family.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:31pm
post #150 of 413

I don't think the client was being 100% honest with the news channel. Would the news channel pick up the story if the client had said "I want to cancel my cake because I didn't like another she did, so now I want my NON refundable deposit back". Probably not, now would they pick it up if the client had said "My weddings in 5 weeks and my baker disappeared with my deposit", yes they would. Ive seen it done in my town for everything from tuxes to cakes to flowers to wedding dresses, and not all the brides are honest! A couple of stories here and there are legit, but the most part it's the brides changing their mind wanting the cash back!

OP I'm sorry you have to go through this, and then turn around and have your intgreity questioned on a site that is filled with people in your industry! icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%