Refunding Deposit, Help!!

Business By KalisCakes Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 6:50pm by bakingatthebeach

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 413

I know this seems obvious, but hear me out: I have no clue how to handle this situation. I have a couple who want to cancel their wedding cake with me. They attended another wedding where we did the wedding cake, and unfortunately we had a bit of a cake delivery disaster there resulting in one tier being damaged. Because of this, these clients say they have "lost faith in my ability to produce the cake they are wanting".

Their wedding is June 25th (just a few weeks away.) They signed my contract in February, and left their deposit. They are now wanting their deposit refunded. I explained to them they signed a contract, and that deposits and prepayments are non-refundable, though should they choose to cancel, and prepayments would be applied to another event occurring withing 90 days, as is stated in their contract.

This didn't go over well, and they began to make threats of taking me to court (okay, I have contracts for that reason) and going to the news stations, etc. I don't want to deal with the hassle of the news stations in the event they actually do some kind of report, nor do I want negative publicity. But I also am not inclined to train anyone that a contract is non-binding. Help!!!

412 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 413

There are a few options:

1. Stick to your contract. Something along the lines of "Yes, what happened at Betty Sue's wedding was unfortunate. It was unforseen situation. However, since such disasters are not the norm, I am unable to refund you the amount. The refund period has lapsed, per the contract. I understand you are upset, however these are the terms and conditions of my contract. The reason payments are non-refundable is because other business is turned down in order to focus on your wedding cake. "

2. Use the above explanation and add "While we have a contract, outlining that all funds are non-refundable, I am willing to refund you XX% of the deposit. I am only doing this as a goodwill gesture. Acceptance of this refund, will settle all issues."

3. Refund their depost, minus any costs, and get rid of the PITA.

As a former media person and current PR person for our school, go to the news stations does not mean it'll get on the air. The media gets HUNDREDS of goofy requests and unless a vendor is truly screwing over their customers, they won't pick it up.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 413

I wouldn't return the deposit. Any lawsuit would be a non-starter because of your contract, and I doubt the media will pick up on the story..."nonrefundable deposit not refunded, story at 11!"

However, if you are operating illegally (i.e. out of an uninspected home kitchen) then I would refund the deposit. I'm not sure how that case would play out in a courtroom and if the contract would hold. But if you are legal then I wouldn't worry about it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 413

They are kicking cans to get you to cough up the money you deserve to keep.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 31 May 2011 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 413

what exactly happened with the damaged cake? Was it a disaster, or just slightly damaged? How did you handle the situation?
If you handled it according to your contract, and if the damage wasn't too bad, I guess I may not refund it. If the damage was extensive and if you had a hard time dealing with the bride after the fact, then I would refund the money right away.
You are already going to have bad pr from both this couple and the first couple. If you stick to your guns too hard, you may have even more issues with other couples that have booked with you. (they all seem to know each other around here!)
Definitely, whatever you do, acknowledge their feelings and your embarrassment over the disaster. I can completely feel for them, even though accidents do happen, I would expect to be getting refund requests if other couples were at the wedding.
No fun.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 31 May 2011 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 413

Tell them to take you to court or contact the media if you make their cake, it's a disaster and THEN you don't return any of their money.

KalisCakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 413

@Jen: The wedding cake from the previous event had damage to the second tier. In the midst of slamming on my brakes at the venue when a member of the wedding party stepping in front of our delivery van, the cake went sliding. The cake was scheduled to be delivered at 9PM for cutting at 10PM. We arrived at 8:30, and I had the intention of taking the cake to the hall's kitchen to do the repair work of attempting to repair the tier (which I'm pretty confident I could have), or removing the tier. Instead, as we began to remove the cake from the van, the wedding party member rushed inside and brought the bride, groom, and wedding party out into the parking lot (no rear entrance at this venue). Of course, the bride was upset, as I would have been had it been my wedding. I apologized profusely, explained we had to slam the brakes on to avoid an accident. I explained I needed a few moments to access the damage and repair her cake. Long story short, she wanted to argue, demand money right on the spot, and even had her new husband threaten myself and my crew. When I began to put the cake back into the van, her father insisted she go back inside, and asked us to go ahead and just put the cake on the table as-is. (Mind you, this current client was part of that wedding party). At that point, as the cake was stacked the entire time, the leaning of the cake continued, so by the time it was placed on the table, the lean was pretty noticeable. The cake was served. The refund that bride is getting has already been settled and mailed of certified mail.
I've done numerous cakes for this group of people, so they have seen/tasted first hand the quality of the work I do. This group of people have actually been put on my "no more cakes for you" list because I have problems with them (ordering late, haggling price, not returning equipment) but this contract was on that I took before I put them all on that list.

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:05am
post #8 of 413

Wow, sounds like your previous bride and groom had "buyers remorse" and jumped on the chance to get something for nothing when you had your "cake accident." It also sounds like them and their aquaintances are a bunch of drama queens. If they had just given you a minutes chance to repair it without overeacting, then all might be well. I am sorry you had to deal with that. I wish people understood more that we are bakers and not some miracle workers. That we would love for there to be no accidents in the cake world, as we do have pride in our work and are devastated just as much when something like this happens to our artwork. I would not refund their deposit. The worst thing they could do is tell their friends (Which will be a favor to you if they're anything alike) not to get their cakes form you. I agree with the above posts, the news is not going to give a hoot about their story.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:26am
post #9 of 413

agree with the above posts that the news stations will ignore them. You MIGHT get a phone call but let me share a similar story.

One company I worked for had offices in multiple states. Some of our employees chose not to direct deposit their paycheck. Indiana had a HUGE ice storm and the airport was shut down, which meant Fed Ex was not flying, which meant the envelope with the paychecks were sitting on the plane, on the tarmac, waiting for the storm to clear.

Some employees in Michigan called their local TV station and told them, "Our company wont' give us our paychecks!" TV station called our Indpls corporate HQ office and my friend Michelle answered the phone. When she responded to their inquiry about the weather ("you guys are a news station ... haven't you heard about the big ice storm down here?", she said! icon_lol.gif ), and told them it was NOT a case of the compay "won't" pay them (she also pointed out "I got paid because I'm on direct deposit and if they were on direct deposit, they'd have their money right now, too"), but was an airport shutdown, they thanked her for her time and dropped it.

They aren't trying to get a deposit refund because they changed the date, or they tasted your cake and found it to be nasty, or because they called off the wedding. No. They want the money back simply because they changed their mind. And I'm not aware of too many contracts that allow for a "just beause" canc reason. icon_rolleyes.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:31am
post #10 of 413

Well, obviously when the member of the wedding party ran out in front of your delivery van you should have just hit the gas. Then, aside from the "speed bump" the cake would have been fine. Gosh, I mean, what were you thinking? Sacrificing the wedding cake for the life of the member of the wedding party? Lol

Seriously, these people sound like real pieces of work. Stand your ground and don't refund the deposit. They agreed to the contract so tough toodles to them. Besides, I think you've more that earned the amount of the deposit in dealing with those people.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:39am
post #11 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalisCakes

@Jen: The wedding cake from the previous event had damage to the second tier. In the midst of slamming on my brakes at the venue when a member of the wedding party stepping in front of our delivery van, the cake went sliding. The cake was scheduled to be delivered at 9PM for cutting at 10PM. We arrived at 8:30, and I had the intention of taking the cake to the hall's kitchen to do the repair work of attempting to repair the tier (which I'm pretty confident I could have), or removing the tier. Instead, as we began to remove the cake from the van, the wedding party member rushed inside and brought the bride, groom, and wedding party out into the parking lot (no rear entrance at this venue). Of course, the bride was upset, as I would have been had it been my wedding. I apologized profusely, explained we had to slam the brakes on to avoid an accident. I explained I needed a few moments to access the damage and repair her cake. Long story short, she wanted to argue, demand money right on the spot, and even had her new husband threaten myself and my crew. When I began to put the cake back into the van, her father insisted she go back inside, and asked us to go ahead and just put the cake on the table as-is. (Mind you, this current client was part of that wedding party). At that point, as the cake was stacked the entire time, the leaning of the cake continued, so by the time it was placed on the table, the lean was pretty noticeable. The cake was served. The refund that bride is getting has already been settled and mailed of certified mail.
I've done numerous cakes for this group of people, so they have seen/tasted first hand the quality of the work I do. This group of people have actually been put on my "no more cakes for you" list because I have problems with them (ordering late, haggling price, not returning equipment) but this contract was on that I took before I put them all on that list.

OHHH, well they're THOSE kind of people are they? Thank you for clarifying. I retract my sympathy statement. A contract's a contract, they were idiots who ran out in front of a delivery van, then demanded they be refunded on the spot. things happen, it was an accident, they were witnesses to the accident, they can suck up the deposit and find someone else to terrorize.
Stick to your guns, woman. And get a cakesafe!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:57am
post #12 of 413

Regardless of how you respond to the customer, just make sure you are respectful (even if you don't think they deserve it) and as non-confrontational as possible. Now is not the time to be snarky.

It also might help to have someone else (your business manager, or a friend or family member who can pose as your business manager if you don't have one) present at the conversation to step in if things get emotional, they can reiterate the reasons for requiring a nonrefundable deposit if necessary.

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:23am
post #13 of 413

I'm floored that the wedding party members would not allow you to attempt to repair the cake. By insisting that you put it out as is, they were purposely trying to ruin your reputation. Sad, sad, sad...

I think that even though you have a legitimate contract I would offer her a deposit refund (or at least a partial refund) just to get rid of the whole lot of them. It is very likely that the original bride will be a member of this bride to be's wedding party and the oringinal bride, being her friend, has done nothing but fill the btb's head with venom toward you. Unfortunatley once that has happened, there is absolutely no cake you can deliver that will be acceptable to her ...ever (forget applying the deposit to a future order).

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:28am
post #14 of 413

Since you no longer wish to do business with this group of people, you should get it in writing VERY CLEARLY they they want to cancel the order with you. Then you are covered when "rebook" the date (for a pedicure instead? LOL!).

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:48am
post #15 of 413

I absolutely would not refund the deposit. Its a signed contract. I bet her cell phone company won't let her out of a contract just because she changed her mind. She will pay an early termination fee the get out of it. So your taking a deposit is similar. I would send her an email explaining it one more time, and she can waste her time taking you to court. And struggle to find someone to make her cake with it being less than a month away. Weddings are stressful and tiring and i highly doubt she will have the time or energy to take you to court anytime soon.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:24am
post #16 of 413

I personally never understand the "partial" refund mentality. If they bad mouth you, they bad mouth you. If the deposit is $250, and you kindly give them $100 back- they will still bitch. If you give them the whole $250 back, I bet they still bit that YOU canceled THEM "at the last minute" when then find that they have trouble replacing you this late. Some crazies are never happy- so why even try?

Keep the deposit, and keep them on the "no cakes for you" list. icon_biggrin.gif That is what a contract is for!

I would say, "Sorry, you booked a date and signed a contract, and I turned down other brides to concentrate on your cake. That is why I don't refund deposits."

Hugs to you... I hate a PITA....

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:10am
post #17 of 413

I insist that I arrive no less 2 hours before the event begins - I'm usually there and out even before the bridal party is. I insist on this or this don't take the job.

Life happens. It really does. And I'm so happy I have this policy. I once had an incident on the way to the venue. But I got there 2 hours before anyone else other than the folks making pretty in the hall. I ran in, found the person in charge, explained, she showed me a place where I could fix things in private. It took about thirty minutes and I was set up and gone long before anyone of substance arrived.

Brides don't need to know a thing if we can help it. That's part of our job. They are too easily upset in the best of circumstances. I would never agree to a 9:00 delivery for a 10:00 cutting. What if something were to happen?

And yes, Ive turned down business for this... just in case. I'm honest and tell them why and stress that it's for their own benefit. Just in case. Just in case that 1% chance of trauma happens.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:46am
post #18 of 413

Why even have them sign a contract if you don't plan on honoring it? The contract clearly states the refund situation. They are the ones choosing to end the relationship, not you. They can 'threaten' all they want. Nothing will happen because they have nothing to stand on except stupidity. Believe me, news stations have a lot more interesting stories to cover than a pissy bride to be.
And yes, they will bad mouth you whether you refund them or not, so why do it? Trust me. Don't refund!
I would say:

'I'm sorry you have chosen not to have us create your wedding cake. As per our contract signed by you on (such and such date), the policy clearly states that the deposit is non-refundable. I would be happy to work with you and apply it to another order should you so choose.
Thank you.

You don't need to say another thing. Just move on and enjoy your good clients!

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:04am
post #19 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

I insist that I arrive no less 2 hours before the event begins - I'm usually there and out even before the bridal party is..... I would never agree to a 9:00 delivery for a 10:00 cutting. What if something were to happen?

Just to share add'l viewpoints on this aspect, I always set a delivery time of a minimum of one hour prior to when the first guest was scheduled to arrive at the reception hall, not one hour prior to scheduled cutting. So if the wedding is at 2:00 and the reception is at 4:00, I would want to deliver by 2:30; 3 at the very latest.

If the wedding and reception are at the same venue, then I would want to set up and be out of there by 3:00. I actually am one that loves an audience when setting up a cake, but I don't think guests should be milling around. Let me rephrase that .... I don't think vendors should have to work around guests when trying to do their job.

Many receptions cut the cake WAY into the event, and I think the cake should be set up and on display when the first person walks into the room. Good heavens, did she have the florist setting up centerpieces a few minutes before dinner was served? I don't think a vendor should be setting up during the reception. I find this to be poor planning on the bride's part if this is how she set everything up.

Just some FYI for contemplation and consideration on future bookings. thumbs_up.gif

KalisCakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:13am
post #20 of 413

Thank you all so so very much! I couldn't have worded this email without all of y'all input. I am doing all further communication with her through email so that I can have written accounts of everything should she decide to waste her time and take me to court over a $190 deposit.... and I am most DEFINITELY changing my policies of delivery times!!!!! In this situation they wanted the cake "presented", but did not want the venue to move it. So in the future should they want me to "present the cake", it'll cost the same as my cake cutting services do since I have to return to the venue after delivery. Here's a copy of the email I sent:

Thank you for your patience as I took this past week to go over your concerns regarding your wedding cake order. I truly wanted to give careful thought and consideration to all aspects of this situation. I would like to start this email by quoting and highlighting a section of the contract you signed:
"CANCELLATION BY CLIENT

All prepayments and deposits are forfeited if you, the client, cancel the event at any time. Chasing Butterflies will apply the entire balance of your deposits and prepayments, less $100.00 towards another event occurring within 90 days of the original event date; subject to our availability provided the cancellation was within 7 days of the event.

CANCELLATION BY VENUE or ACTS OF GOD

All prepayments and deposits are forfeited if the event is canceled by your venue or acts of god (i.e. fire, flood, terrorist activity) prevent Chasing Butterflies from performing your event as agreed. Chasing Butterflies will apply the entire balance of your deposits and prepayments, less $100.00 towards another event occurring within 90 days of the original event date; subject to our availability.

CANCELLATION BY CHASING BUTTERFLIES

Chasing Butterflies reserves the right to terminate this contract for any reason. IF Chasing Butterflies terminates this contract for reasons other than violation of contract by the client, all prepayments minus deposit will be returned within 90 business days."

What happened at the other wedding you attended was very unfortunate. It was an unforeseen situation, and I appreciate the concern it has caused you in regards to your event. However, since such disasters are not the norm, and because this account is separate from yours, I am unable to refund you the amount deposited. I understand you are upset, however these are the terms and conditions of the contract, which is in place to protect both you as the client and us as the vendor. When we met last Wednesday, I explained the reason retainers are non-refundable is because other business is turned down in order to focus on your cake. These deposits also cover preliminary expenses, as well as the time spent in the consult, tasting, and design process.

I would love to continue to move forward with you on this contract, and will be happy to provide references from past clients to help ease your apprehensions and concerns. If, however, you would like to continue with the cancellation of this order, I will email you a creative rights release for the cake design that was previously emailed to you so that you may find another vendor for your wedding cake. I'm sorry you are considering not to have us create your wedding cake. As per our contract signed by you on February 16, 2011, the policy clearly states that the deposit is non-refundable. I would be happy to work with you and apply it to another order cake should you so choose.

Thank you, and feel free to email me back with any questions that may arise.

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:25am
post #21 of 413

First, that response is written very well; professional; it shows concern but it's not emotional. Very good job.

Quote:

In this situation they wanted the cake "presented", but did not want the venue to move it.

You know, I WONDERED if the bride was looking for a Buddy V "cake boss" moment like when they wheel the cake into the reception room and everyone applauds!

Thanks again, TV cake shows! (big sigh!!)

And I agree with your idea of future "presented" cakes. If it were me, they'd have to pay me my hourly rate to arrive WAY before the event starts and pay my rate for me to sit in the kitchen and read a book for 4-8 hours. ANd hubby figured my hourly rate once: $100/hour. icon_twisted.gif

KalisCakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:26am
post #22 of 413

Oh, and should she actually want the references (which I kinda doubt, but maybe she will so she can say ugly things to them..." the reference list is actually a group of friends (and I have done cakes for all of them, so I'm being honest in using them as references)... but yeah, they're all aware of the whole story and have given me permission to use them should I need to have clients of mine set her straight about the kind of work I do. icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:41pm
post #23 of 413

"CANCELLATION BY CHASING BUTTERFLIES

Chasing Butterflies reserves the right to terminate this contract for any reason. IF Chasing Butterflies terminates this contract for reasons other than violation of contract by the client, all prepayments minus deposit will be returned within 90 business days."

I have to admit, this would stop me from signing a contract. It seems to say that if you decide to cancel for any reason, you still keep the deposit. Am I reading that wrong? Seems like you could just make money signing contacts, canceling and keeping the deposits. I must be reading that wrong! icon_razz.gif

However, I love your letter!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:20pm
post #24 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

"CANCELLATION BY CHASING BUTTERFLIES

I have to admit, this would stop me from signing a contract. It seems to say that if you decide to cancel for any reason, you still keep the deposit. Am I reading that wrong? Seems like you could just make money signing contacts, canceling and keeping the deposits. I must be reading that wrong! icon_razz.gif

However, I love your letter!

I have to agree with you on this one. If the client did not cancel the contract, but the bakery did, all prepayment PLUS deposit should be returned to the client. Why would the deposit be kept? The bakery is the one that has defaulted, not the client.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:49pm
post #25 of 413

These are the sections in my contract that pertain to refunds and cancellations. I had a contract attorney look this over and she reworded some things that I had (she added the part about terrorism icon_eek.gif ), so I THINK that this pretty much covers anything. They cancel, I cancel, they don't pay the balance, they pay the balance but the reception site burns down after the cake is made, etc.

What do other people have in their contracts? It might be interesting to see.

Cancellation and Rescheduling
All cancellations must be verified in writing. If for any reason the event is cancelled or rescheduled, the client must contact A Cake To Remember immediately, as the requested new date may not be available. The $100 retainer fee is non-refundable and non-transferable to a different date or client, even if the new date is not available, or the event is totally cancelled. In the event that the client decides to hire another baker and does not pay the balance due, the retainer is not refundable. No refunds will be issued for cancellations less than two weeks before the event. For cancellations more than two weeks before the event, when the balance due has been paid, any refunds are subject to fees based upon work already done on items for the cake by A Cake To Remember as well as time spent on appointments up to that point. If, for any reason other than nonpayment or cancellation/rescheduling by the client, A Cake To Remember of its own accord cancels the contract, all payments, including the non-refundable retainer fee, will be refunded in full. Client assumes responsibility for any and all collection costs and legal fees incurred by A Cake To Remember in the event that enforcement of this contract becomes necessary.

Limitations of Liability
  If A Cake To Remember cannot perform this agreement due to a fire, casualty, strike or other civil disturbances, Acts of God, including but not limited to, road closures, severe traffic, fire, terrorism or other causes beyond the control of the parties, or due to the baker's illness, then A Cake To Remember shall return any money paid by the client, less expenses, but shall have no further liability with respect to this agreement. In the event A Cake To Remember fails to perform for any other reason, A Cake To Remember shall not be liable for any amount in excess of the money the client has paid. In the event of personal emergencies that prevent A Cake To Remember from doing the delivery and setup, A Cake To Remember will attempt to make arrangements with alternate cake providers to do the work, and will provide refunds to the client in proportion to the amount of work A Cake To Remember was not able to do. In the event that any of the above conditions prevents A Cake To Remember from delivering a completed cake, no refunds will be issued, but the client will be given the option of picking the cake up the day of, or within one day of, the original date.

KalisCakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:09pm
post #26 of 413

Actually, yes, you both are ready that part of the contract correctly. It's a section my lawyer edited in for my protection, but it's also one I keep thinking about changing back to the way I had it. I'll explain my lawyer's reasoning though: He explained that this covers me for situations such as the one I'm going through now should I be the one to back out, or situations like the one I went through with that delivery where I had the wedding party threatening me. I could have (probably should have) loaded the cake back up and just left without another explanation.
So basically it's there to protect me from bridezillas when I've already invested time/money into their cake consults/custom tastings/custom design process, and sometimes even put money into their cake (special stands, etc.) But thank you for bringing this part of the contract up, because it does bother me to. *I* know that I would never just have people sign contracts and then take off with their money, but how are *THEY* supposed to know that, especially when the contract says I can?
Any ideas on how to reword it to include "no deposit refund if you become a crazy client or make threats of lawsuits/slander... but other wise you'd get a full refund if I back out"?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:30pm
post #27 of 413
Quote:

Any ideas on how to reword it to include "no deposit refund if you become a crazy client or make threats of lawsuits/slander... but other wise you'd get a full refund if I back out"?

Hahaha! I know one photographer who actually does have in her contract that the bride isn't allowed to be a bridezilla. I don't know how enforceable it is, but it's funny.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:16pm
post #28 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Hahaha! I know one photographer who actually does have in her contract that the bride isn't allowed to be a bridezilla. I don't know how enforceable it is, but it's funny.

If the terms of the contract specifically define what a bridezilla is, then it could be enforceable, at least in my state. icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:39pm
post #29 of 413

Hmmm, I see. I don't know if the part about 'violation of terms' in your contract might cover bridzillas or the situations you've had so you could keep the deposit, those would certainly be things to think about.

As a consumer I would worry about a company cancelling on me if they thought I was being difficult, which I can be. And brides are very nervous and stressed anyway, so it's a tough call. Maybe wording to say if you cancel, returning of the deposit would be a case by case scenario dependant on circumstances. I don't know, wording isn't really my forte. I would discuss it with the lawyer, they do know best and are someone I don't argue with (I used to be a legal secretary) icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:47pm
post #30 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

If the terms of the contract specifically define what a bridezilla is, then it could be enforceable, at least in my state. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%