How Do You Transport Your Wedding Cakes? In Separate Layers?

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 31 May 2011 , 8:15pm by weberm05

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am getting ready to do my first wedding cake that is 4 layers high. Do you transport your layers separately and assemble upon arrival at the venue or do you transport it assembled?

Also do you cut the cake at the cake table or do you move it to the venue kitchen and cut it there? If you move it to the kitchen, whats the safest way to get it in there (if you are by yourself?)

Thanks for any input

5 replies
cakegroove Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 6

Might I add, this will be a buttercream cake, so I feel I have to be more careful than if it were covered in fondant

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 6

I just did a 4 tier buttercream cake this weekend. I assembled 3 of the tiers at home and then placed the 4th tier on top at the venue. But then, we just have a little car, so 3 tiers is all the height the opening in my trunk will handle. Never had to cut a cake before, the catering people always do it, so I can't advise on that. Have fun with your first wedding cake! icon_smile.gif

cakegroove Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 6

not my first rodeo, just my first rodeo with a 4 tier buttercream! eek!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 6

I always have to assemble on site. Unfortunately I'm not strong enough for multiple tiers. Also, when I have cut the cake, it's always been at the cake table. Good luck with your first wedding cake! Have fun!

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 6

When I do my 4-tier I only stack it 3 high and have hubby carry it. I put the top on there. I'm scared when its 3 high let alone 4 high

I don't cut the cakes but at my wedding....the lady cut the cake at the table.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%