Decorating Course/classes

Decorating By weidertm24 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 2:33pm by Allie06

weidertm24 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!
I'm looking to take some classes for decorating, but the only ones I've found are the ones at Hobby Lobby or Michaels and those don't work with my work schedule (3-9PM). I'm not sure if there are any schools that offer actual courses for baking/decorating. I'm definitely more interested in the decorating but it wouldn't hurt to learn more on baking. I'm located in SE Wisconsin. Not looking to go super far but if I have to I definitely will.

Thanks in advance.
MW

5 replies
sunset74 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 6

MW, if you are in SE Wisconsin does that mean you are near like Milwakee and Kenosha. I am in Chicago right now because hubby is here on a business trip, but it all depends on what kind of classes you want. Check local HL's and Michaels and JoAnn's and ask to have the instructor call you. She or he may not be getting the message that there is a request for day classes. I am a WMI were I live and I am trying to get day classes to take off, but sometimes there is just not the interest.

Also depending on how far and howlong you are willing to travel, WILTON is in Darien, IL. I went to the Masters Class back in September and it was one of the best experiences. As a WMI you only take the classes at Michaels but I wanted more, so after I became a WMI I saved up and then came here to take it. It is 2 weeks long Monday through Friday all day. It is pricey but was a ton of fun. Also google any cake stores in your area, there are somtimes independent stores that offer classes. I know that there is a store south of Chicago, but that would be a pretty long drive for you. HTH

weidertm24 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 6

Yes fairly close to Kenosha, pretty much right on the border of IL/WI. I've looked into HL and Michaels but all the classes start at 5 or so and that's right during work. This is something I want to do for a living but I'm not going to get hired without the experience and knowledge. I'll have to look into contacting the instructor. I think day classes would be great! I will also have to look into the Masters class. I haven't looked into cake stores but I feel like the closest would be Chicago/Milwaukee. Guess I have to do some more researching!

Thanks for the information.

weidertm24 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 6

If anyone could even suggest DVDs I can learn from so I can have experience and some what of a portfolio so I can show my work.

TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 6

Have you talked to the WMI's at those stores and asked if they would consider morning classes?

I personally can't teach any because I do have a full time job, but in the last I have taught some weekend classes to get those people that can't take it in the evenings and I know the other store in town does offer morning classes.

I can't promise that the WMI's would be able to do it, but atleast you may plant a seed for them. icon_smile.gif

Allie06 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 6

I live in an awkward area for classes too. I have taken all the Wiltons my Joanne's offers, but seeing as I caught the "bug" I am in the "now what"? phase! I just ordered Sharon Zambito's DVD about buttercream basics, I figure I will go through her whole collection of tutorials and then get back on the wagon for class searches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%