How Do I "wedge" A Cake?

Decorating By cakification Updated 31 May 2011 , 11:11pm by cakification

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 7

I am absolutely in love with this shopping bag cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1308764

My question is, the designer says the cake is "wedged" which I assume is how it is on the angle. But how do I wedge a cake, where do I put the wedges and what do I use for wedges?

Thanks!

6 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 7

I could be wrong, but I think she just means that she took sheets of cake and trimmed them slightly into wedge shapes.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 7

I think it would be the same concept as the topsy turvy cakes, just not to that extreme. You also have the option of just shaving the cake down to look like a wedge, depending on how extreme you want the angle and how much cake you have to work with.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 7

Sharon Zambito did a tutorial on wedging a cake a couple of years ago. She uses styrofoam, cut into wedges.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorials?updated-max=2009-06-07T11%3A57%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=20

It is called the Graduation Wedge Cake. It was posted on her blog of Tuesday May 19, '09.

I hope this helps.

Jan

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 7

The bag would have been done the same way you make a normal topsy turvy. Cut the cake at an angle and flip it over to exaggerate the angle, and so you don't waste any cake.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 7

Boy, that is what I get for not taking the time, (I have an incredibly slow dial-up) to look at a link. Yet I will spend lots of frustrating time looking up an old post when I heard the word "wedge". I do agree with the above. You split it just as if you were making a topsy turvy. Sorry for going so far off track. By the way, it is a beautiful cake.

Jan

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 31 May 2011 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 7

I know, it's a gorgeous cake isn't it?
Thanks to everyone for the help! Ive never done a topsy turvy, since I'm still a beginner, but I know what you're talking about.
I wont be able to compare to the original, but I'm going to give it a go this weekend. I'll post a link to show you how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%