I Need Some Help

Baking By Mae_mom Updated 31 May 2011 , 2:37am by cownsj

Mae_mom Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:56am
post #1 of 3

I recently bought the Wilton 3D bear pan.... the first run, I didn't put enough batter in and he came out with no legs. No biggie; it was just a practice run and I knew I didn't make enough for it anyway.

Next run, COMPLETE DISASTER!

First, it's not done! The cake is still gooey inside; the directions say to bake at 350 for 50-60 min. and DO NOT OVERBAKE. So I left him in for 60 (fully preheated oven) and he's still gooey.

Next, the batter in the heater core, completely gooey! Doesn't even look like it's even half way cooked.

Third, the heater core was so close to the bear's face that it showed through, therefore his head won't stay on as there's no cake batter between the walls of the pan and the heater core.

My question... do I NEED to use the heater core? It doesn't seem to have done any good in this case for some reason and actually caused more problems. If I can get by without using it, could I just bake at a lower temp for a longer period of time?

The bear cake is now in about a thousand pieces on my counter top; once his head fell off and his gooey innards deflated and pooped out, he collapsed so I left him there before I had a fit on him. icon_smile.gif

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! I'm using him to make a frog cake this week!!

~F

2 replies
Marianna46 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:26am
post #2 of 3

My first response would be to ask you if you're sure your oven is heating to the correct temperature. Have you tried placing an oven thermometer inside and checking against the temperature it says on the dial? There's really no reason a cake shouldn't at least be nearly done after an hour at the temp it says in the instructions. And the heating core couldn't possibly be slowing the baking process down. Physics just doesn't work that way in the real world. I hope you can find out what's going on - I know how maddening it can be to have things turn out wrong and for you to have no idea of why. I wish you the best in this!

cownsj Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:37am
post #3 of 3

This pan was the very first I ever bought, and it's still my favorite. I don't use the heating core at all.

I use two full boxes of cake mix so there is enough to fill out the feet. I stand the pan on a cookie sheet knowing that it will overflow onto the cookie sheet. (That's my sampling part that I get to eat first....lol)

I just bake it until it's done. The biggest key, I think, is in the cooling part. It tells you how long to let it cool standing, then to take off the clips and leave it in one half of the pan to cool, then switch it to the other half of the pan to completely cool. This part is vital, otherwise it will break apart on you.

But for the baking, just bake until it's done. I've never had one overbake in any portion yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%