Olivia The Pig Help

Decorating By davis65 Updated 31 May 2011 , 2:30am by milkmaid42

davis65 Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 4

I have a customer that wants an Olivia the Pig cake. It needs to be two tiers and Oliva needs fairy wings coming out of the back. I need help figuring out how to make this olivia topper. I will probably have to do it out of gumpaste because I do not have a machine where it could be drawn out, printed on edible image and stood up. What would be the easiest way to accomplish Olivia? Are there any molds to help with her?

3 replies
R4ORT Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 4

Have you searched in the gallery? There are a few livia cakes, many with toppers that were moulded by hand.

Gallery Link

These ones are great examples imo.

Hope it helps.

davis65 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:01am
post #3 of 4

I love the two cakes that you pointed out, the first one was truly great. However, does anyone have any step by step advice on how to make Olivia.

milkmaid42 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 4

I just finished an Olivia cake for my niece this week. I made a rough form out of RKT, then smooshed it over with pink modeling chocolate. I had a difficult time with the supports, for the RKT was surprisingly heavy. (I had to reinforce the wire legs with skewers taped to them just below the hocks.) It would have been easier to have straight legs, but her piggy legs are bent. Allow plenty of length to support her, plus extend down into the cake.
I made the clothes out of fondant, and her leggings I painted with black candy color. That was an iffy thing, as being oil, they never dried too well and it made them difficult to handle for the remainder of the construction. Being modeling chocolate and warm weather, I had to keep her in the refrigerator, stuck in a styrofoam block for support.
The wings you want can easily be made out of gelatin. PM me if you want the directions. I use it for dragonfly wings, bees wings and eyeglasses lenses. It is truly wonderful to work with.
Here is my version of Olivia.

I hope this helps you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%