Rose Silicone Molds??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 31 May 2011 , 10:34am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Cakers!

I found a silicone rose mold by First I m p r e s s i o n s. Found it on Global
S u g a r a r t website. Has anyone used this before. The picture shows a blue silicone rose of this huge beautiful mold. Does the rose actually look like a 3-d lifelike rose. Or, is it flat? The details says it is 3 1/2 diameter rose. The details do not tell me how to use it. I would like some more infomation beofor I fork over 30 bucks. =)

Thanks,

M michael

8 replies
sweeteypie1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteypie1118 Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 9

I've been looking at the same mold too, but like you, afraid to waste the money! Looking forward to finding an answer.

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 9

It looks like it is for poured isomalt use and it is 3D. It'll be about an inch tall.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 9

I suggest emailing Alan @ GSA. He is wonderful about answering questions. He's been very professional and has always answered any of my questions. He may even be able to email you a pic of a rose made from the mold.

Sandy

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 9

It can be used for gumpaste as well. I have had luck with the large detailed molds if I put it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes after filling it with gumpaste. The piece then holds it shape as I am removing it from the mold. I just let the piece sit until it is dry before handling it again after initially removing it from the mold. HTH

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 9

I have not used the large one, but I've used the FI molds for smaller roses. If you want a rose that will sit realistically on the cake, then they're not great. They are flat on the back. You can build them out a bit with a lump of extra fondant/gumpaste, but it'll look like you've done just that. I recall at one stage FI were selling molds to make the backs of the roses, but looks like they've been discontinued.

I have quite a few FI flower molds, including larger ones of other flowers. I never use them. They are great as far as molds go, but the flowers always have that 'out of a mold' look - which is fine for a lot of other things, but doesn't seem right for flowers to me for some reason. The other drawback with them is that if you want to arrange several together, they are all identical - no natural variations in size & shape to make them look 'right' together.

They are easy to use though, just push a ball of fondant/gumpaste that has been dusted with cornstarch into the mold, press it really firmly all over to make sure it gets into all areas. Remove any exess off the back with a dull knife. Put in freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Take out, turn upside down and flex the object out of the mold. The larger molds are really no more difficult to use than any of the smaller ones.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 9

Uh-oh! Don't say the "m" word-especially when it refers to flowers. One never knows where Sylvia might be lurking! icon_cool.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 9

There is a cake in the "most recent" gallery right now that looks like the roses on the side are from a mold (they are flat on the back and very uniform - but very pretty). It's called Vintage Cake and it is pink. Gorgeous cake by the way.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 31 May 2011 , 10:34am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnell

There is a cake in the "most recent" gallery right now that looks like the roses on the side are from a mold (they are flat on the back and very uniform - but very pretty). It's called Vintage Cake and it is pink. Gorgeous cake by the way.

AWESOME!!

Thank you for the heads up on the pictures! I found it. Great looking cake! I hate that the backs are flat though. Wishful thinking. Guess I am going to have to put in the "hard labor" of making the roses.

=)

Thank you everyone for the help!
Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%