Please Help! Need To Freeze Cake And Don't Know What To Do!

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 31 May 2011 , 9:20am by FleurDeCake

puddles_gal Posted 30 May 2011 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 9

I made a 6" fondant decorated cake yesterday for a friend who needed it for a photo shoot. Turns out that the photo shoot got postponed until next week, so she wants to know if she can freeze the cake? The cake is sitting on a fondant-covered cake board and I put it in a box. I'm hoping someone can please tell me how she can prepare to freeze the cake, and what to do to unthaw it? Thank you!

8 replies
FleurDeCake Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 9

My suggestion would be to leave it in the box and then wrap the box really well with plastic wrap and a layer of foil . then when you're ready to defrost it let it defrost in the box for at least a day before taking it out of the box. HTH

carmijok Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 9

If she's just using it for a photo-shoot and not planning to eat it, I'd just leave it out. Fondant covered cakes can last a looong time at room temp. The problem with freezing or refrigerating fondant is the condensation that will occur when it comes to room temp. And while it will dry eventually, if something goes awry with some of the decor in the thawing stage (since it will be in there more than a day or two,) it may not be good for photos.

puddles_gal Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeCake

My suggestion would be to leave it in the box and then wrap the box really well with plastic wrap and a layer of foil . then when you're ready to defrost it let it defrost in the box for at least a day before taking it out of the box. HTH




That sounds like a plan! Thank you! Now to defrost the cake, would she let it unthaw on the counter, with or without the plastic wrap?

puddles_gal Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

If she's just using it for a photo-shoot and not planning to eat it, I'd just leave it out. Fondant covered cakes can last a looong time at room temp. The problem with freezing or refrigerating fondant is the condensation that will occur when it comes to room temp. And while it will dry eventually, if something goes awry with some of the decor in the thawing stage (since it will be in there more than a day or two,) it may not be good for photos.




Oops! I forgot to to mention that it was for a smash cake photo session, and her 1 year old would be eating the cake.

KakeMistress Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 9

are you concerned that it wont taste good? if its been frozen it will be fine, just make sure its defrosted all the way so the poor kid can eat it LOL... It should taste and look fine as long as its not touched during the thawing process..

puddles_gal Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeMistress

are you concerned that it wont taste good? if its been frozen it will be fine, just make sure its defrosted all the way so the poor kid can eat it LOL... It should taste and look fine as long as its not touched during the thawing process..




No, I know it will taste fine. I'm just worried about the fondant sweating and the decorations being ruined...

BlakesCakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 9

Box it. Wrap box in saran & foil. Freeze. Defrost in fridge, still boxed & wrapped for 24hrs. Sit on counter, still boxed & wrapped for several hours. Remove from box. No condensation. No problem.

rae

FleurDeCake Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:20am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Box it. Wrap box in saran & foil. Freeze. Defrost in fridge, still boxed & wrapped for 24hrs. Sit on counter, still boxed & wrapped for several hours. Remove from box. No condensation. No problem.

rae


this is exactly how I would sugest defrosting the cake .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%