Handling A Full Sheet Cake

Decorating By MollyHammond Updated 30 May 2011 , 7:38pm by Elaine2581

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 5

I need advice on how to handle a full sheet cake. I baked 2 half sheets and put them together . One layer cake except a grad hat on one end. Do I need a piece of plywood under it or will I be OK with a couple of layers of cardboard cake sheets? If I need plywood, can you give me some suggestions on how to cover the raw edge?
Thanks,
Molly

4 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 5

I delivered a full sheet this week, half chocolate with peanut butter truffle filling and 1/2 red velvet with cheesecake mousse filling covered in a layer of butter creme and fondant...needless to say very heavy....I had it on a basic gold sheet board which was ontop of 3 double thick sheet boards...once I got to the venue I slid the cake and the gold board off of the other 3 and no problem....

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 5

You can use two thin foam core boards taped together, or on thick foam core, that should be plenty strong. I cover my foam core in foil. I like to build up the thickness so that the edge is wide enough for a ribbon.

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 5

I bake a lot of 12 x 18 sheet cakes. I use three basic cardboard cake boards taped together and then wrapped in foil. I have also used two or three foam core boards wrapped in foil because this allows me to dress up the board with ribbon - if needed. If you decide to have special boards cut or made, be sure to write "Please return to _________. DO NOT DISCARD" or you will never get them back! Might want to say it dozens of times as well! Good luck!

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 30 May 2011 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 5

I would use plywood or masonite board from a Home Depot or Lowes. I used two regular cardboard cake boards for a 9x13 and when I lifted it off my turntable, the cream cheese frosting cracked like crazing on china: really small cracks but many of them. I was so disappointed. I always put my name, address and phone number on my wooden boards and stress that I'll need them back. Then I cover in clear contact paper and then cake foil or wipe off table cloth vinyl and add a ribbon or some other trim aroung the edge when I'm finished. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%