Rugby Groom's Cake - Struggling With Design

Decorating By cakegirl1973 Updated 30 May 2011 , 5:24pm by Bluehue

cakegirl1973 Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hello! I have been asked to make a groom's cake along with the wedding cake that I'm making this summer. The bride has purchased a rugby bride/groom topper and wants to use it on the grooms cake. She also wants the cake to say "rugby" and have the groom's number on it (the number 12). I have looked online for inspiration, but am struggling to come up with a good design, especially because of this topper. The best that I have come up with so far is to make a two tier that is green (to blend in with the grass on the topper), with "rugby" in fondant letters on the top front side, his number in large fondant numbers (cut out with cookie cutters) on the bottom front side, and then fondant footballs randomly placeed on the sides of the cake. I've sketched it out and it looks kinda hodgepot and pretty ho-hum. Any ideas of how to design this cake so it's a little more interesting? TIA!

3 replies
Bluehue Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

Hmmm, not that i have ever made one - but when i googled rugby jumper cakes - (here in Australia) these came up.,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=704&wrapid=tlif130676821733510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

I am guessing you have one the same for where ever it is you live - where might that be?

Does the rugby team the GTB follows have an emblem?
Might you be able to incorporate that on the jumper?
Just suggesting that out loud as then you wouldn't have to do it all green as tho the field.

cakegirl1973 Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, Blue. I am in the States. The couple met while both playing rubgy in college, so I am now thinking that instead of a green cake, I might cover it in red fondant with gray and white fondant letters, since the school colors are red & gray. The school is pretty strict with the licensing of their logo, so I really can't incorporate that or their mascot into the cake.

I think that I need something more than just randomly placed rubgy balls on the sides of the cake. I sketched a cake with gray and white fondant circles on the sides, as well as the footballs, and I don't think it looked good. Any ideas of what I could put on the sides of the cake besides the footballs?

Bluehue Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 4

You mentioned about the green grass earlier - could you not have the cake sitting on grass - that way it wouldn't destract from the pattern of the jumper.
Plus the green could compliment the red grey and white...

Just a thought - occassionally alot of bits dotted here and there around a cake can make the whole creation somewhat cluttered IYKWIM.

If not grass under the cake - what about just covering the cake board in green fondant.
You then have your 3 primary colours (red grey and green) along with the white lettering.

I would choose a blue red - to suit the green - could look classy.

IMO stay away from an orange red - as that can clash with green and an orange red can also make a grey look very wishy washy.

The shades/tones of colours can sometimes make or break a cake.

Yes, i think doing his school colours would be perfect for such a cake and would have more meaning for him...and please the bride also.

Blue icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%