Need Help! Very Strange Request

Decorating By Crazboutcakes Updated 30 May 2011 , 6:51pm by dawncr

Crazboutcakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:56am
post #1 of 17

Hi, I have a bride that wants a white plain but decorative 4 tier wedding cake that will not be eaten icon_eek.gif , with a grooms cake to feed 50, and sheet cakes to feed 250! I really haven't spoke to her about any suggestions at this time but was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on what I might offer her?

My thought was a dummy cake for the actual wedding cake (with one tier for cutting) and than the grooms cake and sheet cakes... I don't really know, was hoping to get some suggestions on what I might offer her and for how much never really did a 4 tier dummy for a wedding with sheet cakes to feed 250, any suggestions on the charge for the dummy? I am stumped icon_confused.gif

16 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:06am
post #2 of 17

I would charge the same for the dummy as you would for a real cake of that size. Most of the work is the decorating, and once you buy the actual dummies, you'll have spent about the same as ingredients for those tiers would cost.

This sounds like one of those money-saving ideas that brides read about, that don't really work.

Reyna Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:16am
post #3 of 17

I AGREE! 100%

mena2002 Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:31am
post #4 of 17

I also agree!

JanH Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:41am
post #5 of 17

Most decorators charge by the slice/serving whether the cake is edible or not....

Why the bride thinks purchasing a dummy wedding cake and kitchen cakes (twice the amount of servings she needs) will save her money must be something she read in a bridal magazine.

The reality is that this scheme doesn't work when you actually price out the cost of the decorated dummy wedding cake and the (redundant) kitchen cakes.

Wedding cake dummy: 250 x $3.00 (just a random number) = $750.00

Kitchen cakes: 250 x $3.00 = $750.00

She's paying $1500.00. Where's the savings when an edible wedding cake would only be $750.00?????

HTH

hollyml Posted 30 May 2011 , 7:16am
post #6 of 17

Some bakeries do charge less per serving for the kitchen cakes than for a tiered cake (which kinda makes sense in that the tiered cake is more work, with the stacking, and also has to be "more perfect" because it's on display), so if you're having a large wedding it can be a money-saving (and design-wise) decision to split the total number of servings you need; get a smaller tiered cake and make up the rest of the servings with the kitchen cakes.

But I've never heard of ordering a dummy for the tiered cake! That is really odd. So I guess I would first ask the bride for clarification -- WHY does she want a tiered cake that won't be eaten? If it's to save money, then you can suggest that buying a dummy cake isn't going to help, and instead perhaps offer her something like the 4 tier wedding cake to serve, say 100 or 120 (does she want a top tier to save?), and then kitchen cakes to serve the other ~150 at a lower per-serving price.

If she has some other purpose...I don't know, maybe she wants to keep her wedding cake as a memento forever?...then you can decide what you'll be able to do for her and charge her accordingly.

Holly

platinumlady Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:15am
post #7 of 17

I do know some that will charge less if there is a dummy cake involved...However, These people are getting the dummy cakes back. So it's like a "deposit" for the dummy cake but if it doesn't get returned then neither does the money. They don't get the full amount back of course just some. This way the designer is able to use the dummy cake more than once.

However, if they are not returning anything then I agree charge the full price.

I do charge less for the kitchen cake but only if they are ordering a tier cake. However, If it was a dummy cake with kitchen cakes...then the kitchen cakes will be full price

Hope that makes sense

allaboutcakeuk Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:32am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

Hi, I have a bride that wants a white plain but decorative 4 tier wedding cake that will not be eaten icon_eek.gif , with a grooms cake to feed 50, and sheet cakes to feed 250! I really haven't spoke to her about any suggestions at this time but was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on what I might offer her?

My thought was a dummy cake for the actual wedding cake (with one tier for cutting) and than the grooms cake and sheet cakes... I don't really know, was hoping to get some suggestions on what I might offer her and for how much never really did a 4 tier dummy for a wedding with sheet cakes to feed 250, any suggestions on the charge for the dummy? I am stumped icon_confused.gif

I sometimes do dummy tiers but have never done a whole cake as a dummy except for displays. However I found just as much work goes into a dummy cake (although no baking), the dummies are quite difficult to ice at times and also you are doing same decoration. I would take what it costs you to normally bake, ice and decorate that cake and perhaps take off the cost of the cake ingredients but keep all the costs of the time, icing, decorations

HTH

artscallion Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:58am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

I would take what it costs you to normally bake, ice and decorate that cake and perhaps take off the cost of the cake ingredients but keep all the costs of the time, icing, decorations

HTH

And don't forget the cost of the foam dummies themselves, which can cost as much as the cake ingredients would have.

Enchantedcakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 17

You also have to remember that in Florida you do not charge sales tax on food items but you have to charge sales tax on non food items so the dummy cake would have 6% or 7% (depending on your county) sales tax and a real cake would not have sales tax.

cai0311 Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 17

I am sure she wants this because she has read (because for some reason the knot has this plastered all over their site) that a fake display cake and sheet cakes in the back is cheaper than getting a real wedding cake. Stupid, but for some reason many articles suggest this to brides as a way to save on the wedding cake.

Explain to the bride why this option is not cheaper. She will be paying for the cake twice. Even if you discount the display cake and the sheet cakes she will still end up paying just as much or more.

ddaigle Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 17

Another option is to make the dummy, to her design, but "rent" it to her so you can keep it for your display. I know a place that has done that a couple times. The rental fee is quite as high as the decorated fee because you get to keep it. Then charge her your appropriate fee for the grooms' and sheet cakes that will be served.

Crazboutcakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks for all your input... All the same thoughts as all of you, just wasn't sure how to address her with her requests so I guess, I will just sit down and figure out prices in both directions and let her choose what to do.... I think it's gonna come down to having the option of the chioce with this one. Thanks

heavenlys Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 17

we do dummy cakes for weddings all the time. We price them so much per tier starting. A fondant covered one starts at $125 whether it is 12" or 6. additional details or gumpaste flowers add to cost. Brides also pay a deposit for dummies and MUST return them. Many of our brides are doing this to have cupcakes or more cake flavor and filling choices.

YellowBrickRd Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantedcakes

You also have to remember that in Florida you do not charge sales tax on food items but you have to charge sales tax on non food items so the dummy cake would have 6% or 7% (depending on your county) sales tax and a real cake would not have sales tax.

thumbs_up.gif Very good point!!!!!

Crazboutcakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 17

Well thanks to all of you for posting a reply. I have finished with my estimate now the fun part begins. icon_smile.gif thanks

dawncr Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:51pm
post #17 of 17

You could send her to IndyDebi's blog for brides on this subject:

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2009/07/fake-cakes-no-they-are-not-always.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%