How Do I Attach 20" Tall Vertical Fondant?

Decorating By johnson6ofus Updated 31 May 2011 , 2:25pm by johnson6ofus

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:32am
post #1 of 5

OK, so I made a beer can cake that was 18" high. I made a separate "lid" out of fondant and dried. I "wrapped" the cake in fondant and had a terrible time with sagging and wrinkling.

So, what is the "trick" in dealing with a tall cake and wrapping in fondant? How do you keep gravity from dragging it down? BTW, I used homemade MMF... so was it too soft?

4 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:46am
post #2 of 5

Add a generous amount of tylose powder to your fondant. This should help to sturdy up the fondant, with out making it too stiff! Also, the brand of fondant may make a difference. MMF may be too soft, as well as a few other brands. I know in my past experiences with MMF, it would never hold up!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 5

An extra set of hands would probably help. I have seen this done on cake shows for something this high. I have never seen one person do it alone.

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 5

Having someone help you would be great. You can roll it up, stand it straight up and as one person applies the fondant, the other person leads with unrolling it.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks folks! I did do this "two man" style with a mat too. We got it on OK, but it was really the wrinkling that killed me. After 4 hours in Texas heat (inside with AC, but still a factor), my beer can was ready for the recycling bin (a bit crushed). The drunks at the party loved it but....

Any preference for brands if I do anything that crazy again? Something that may hold up better?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%