Malicious Customer?

Baking By Amberwaves Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 11:43pm by cakestyles

Amberwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberwaves Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:44am
post #1 of 58

My customer ordered a 1/2 sheet graduation themed cake, brownies and decorated cookies for this weekend.

My cookies are not cheap, but she really wanted something nice for her son's party, so I used the impression kit you can buy for sports and made fondant covered football and soccer ball cookies as well as highly detailed, large glace iced cookies with a hand holding a scroll and wrote the graduates name and year on them.

I was helping with the hot food about an hour into the party and saw my customer's mother and aunt hovering over by the dessert table. Next thing I know the aunt is running to the kitchen and grabbing paper towels.

I went over and saw that they had dumped an entire glass of water onto the platter of cookies! The cookies were sitting in water, already ruined and past saving. I went over to ask what happened and the mother snapped that SHE WOULD FIX IT!

I saw my customer (her daughter) over there later looking at what was left of the soggy cookies with a puzzled look on her face. She asked me later if there were only 2 cookies left and when I said yes she looked puzzled again. She had ordered enough to hopefully bring some home, but the ones that were left were all melted.

I don't think her mom told her what happened and with all the resentment her mom was displaying about her daughter paying someone to cater the food (me) I am really wondering if destroying the cookies was a deliberate act.

Should I mention it this week after her mom goes home?

57 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #2 of 58

Um no I think you should have PROFESSIONALLY said it right there.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #3 of 58

You missed your chance to tell the daughter/customer that someone had spilled water on the cookies.
You didn't have to mention who because you really don't know.
If the customer askes again about the cookies tell her what you know happened.

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:13am
post #4 of 58

I agree. If she asks about them let her know that someone spilled water on them, otherwise don't worry about it if she is not complaining. But wow, that is a little strange for sure! I wonder why the mother got all snappy with you? Hmmmmmm? That is hard cause I know you don't want her to think it was your fault either! Sorry for the no fun situation!

Amberwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberwaves Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:14am
post #5 of 58

Truth be told, it was my last catering job. I am just not cut out to deal with all the drama I guess. The family dynamics were so convoluted that I just stayed in the kitchen unless I was dealing directly with the food.

I am unsure of what to say to my customer because there are obvious issues between her and her mother and I don't want to bad mouth her. She is a regular customer, I have never seen this side before because the mother lives out of town and was only here for the graduation.

As the party was ending and I was cleaning up in the kitchen the aunt came out and told me This was an awful big job for just you. I think next time you should hire more people. Excuse me? I kept the food hot and the trays filled and the garbages emptied--but not good enough, huh?

When my customer calls at the end of this week to finalize everything I will tell her what happened with the cookies just to make sure she understands I held up my end of the agreement.

Oh, another weird thing at this party--the photographer (a hired pro) was picking food up with her bare hands and moving it around to take pictures. Then she was putting it back on the trays. I saw her then go over and pick up a decorated cookie and accidentally break it in half. I went up to her quietly said something about food sanitation and all that good stuff and she was all surprised! Wow--hadn't occurred to her!

I am going to stay with just custom cakes and cookies, no catering, no more working at parties and events for me. Yuk.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberwaves

I went up to her quietly said something about food sanitation and all that good stuff and she was all surprised! Wow--hadn't occurred to her!

seriously?! icon_eek.gif Her mama never told her "don't play with the food! other people don't want to eat something you've had your hands all over!" I'd want to smack her mama for not teaching her the basics! icon_rolleyes.gif

Reminds me of the guy who came thru our food line at the hotel just a few days ago. He tells his 5 yr old daughter, "Don't mess with those tongs! It's faster to just grab the chips with your hands .... like THIS!"

In the words of Jerry Seinfeld: "People.....they're the WORST!!" icon_lol.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 58

My horror story:

My sisters and I were seated a couple tables over from a fairly large group, eating lunch at a very nice restaurant. We couldn't believe our eyes when one of the moms changed her baby's diaper right there, on the floor, next to the table! Yuk! Another young child spent the whole time throwing food all over the place. The area around that table was a disaster zone! So yeah, people are the WORST!

Amberwaves, so sorry to hear about the ruined cookies! All that work....

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:00am
post #8 of 58

Yea, I have an In-Law relative that thinks changing poopie diapers at the dining table is just fine. Some years back we were at a wedding and she was seated across from my husband and I. We had to sit through two diaper changes during dinner. Then................baby is hungry too, so after she was done eating, you guessed it!!! Out "it" comes, big enough to set on top of the table and then darling latches on. <<deep sigh>>

I fed my children too, but I always excused myself from others and found a quiet place, neatly covered by a lovely baby blanket that I made myself. As far as I'm concerned if you would NOT normally remove your bosoms at your cousins wedding and place them on the table then you should not do it just because you are lactating. <<deep sigh>> <<family>>

Tami icon_smile.gif

...oh, and to be a little weirder.......her baby was only 11 months old at the time, but he was HUGE, I mean this kid is a linebacker and he's only out of Kindergarten now, back then he was in 4T sized clothes when he was 11 months old so when she was feeding him it really did appear that he was a large toddler still feeding, when he wasn't a year old yet.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:20am
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_Rose

Yea, I have an In-Law relative that thinks changing poopie diapers at the dining table is just fine. Some years back we were at a wedding and she was seated across from my husband and I. We had to sit through two diaper changes during dinner. Then................baby is hungry too, so after she was done eating, you guessed it!!! Out "it" comes, big enough to set on top of the table and then darling latches on. <<deep sigh>>

I fed my children too, but I always excused myself from others and found a quiet place, neatly covered by a lovely baby blanket that I made myself. As far as I'm concerned if you would NOT normally remove your bosoms at your cousins wedding and place them on the table then you should not do it just because you are lactating. <<deep sigh>> <<family>>

Tami icon_smile.gif

...oh, and to be a little weirder.......her baby was only 11 months old at the time, but he was HUGE, I mean this kid is a linebacker and he's only out of Kindergarten now, back then he was in 4T sized clothes when he was 11 months old so when she was feeding him it really did appear that he was a large toddler still feeding, when he wasn't a year old yet.

Wow - be prepared for some flack over this comment.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:51am
post #10 of 58
Quote:

Tami icon_smile.gif

Good Lord! icon_rolleyes.gif I love it when people say "breastfeeding is natural" as an excuse to display in public -- well newsflash honey, so is urination but that doesn't mean the rest of us want to share your joy! icon_cool.gif Good for you for having the sense to keep a private and beautiful bonding moment just that -- a moment for you and the baby~

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:31am
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Good Lord! icon_rolleyes.gif I love it when people say "breastfeeding is natural" as an excuse to display in public -- well newsflash honey, so is urination but that doesn't mean the rest of us want to share your joy!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I shall have to remember that example!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:51am
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Good Lord! icon_rolleyes.gif I love it when people say "breastfeeding is natural" as an excuse to display in public -- well newsflash honey, so is urination but that doesn't mean the rest of us want to share your joy!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I shall have to remember that example!

lol. Thats pretty funny! I don't mind when women do it in public...
But they should really do it more discrete. I was in IKEA and there was a woman sitting on the couches that were for sale... Breastfeeding... I was trying to buy a couch... I moved on and came back after.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:28am
post #13 of 58

[quote="Baker_Rose"]Yea, I have an In-Law relative that thinks changing poopie diapers at the dining table is just fine. Some years back we were at a wedding and she was seated across from my husband and I. We had to sit through two diaper changes during dinner. Then................baby is hungry too, so after she was done eating, you guessed it!!! Out "it" comes, big enough to set on top of the table and then darling latches on. <<deep sigh>>

Tami icon_smile.gif

...oh, and to be a little weirder.......her baby was only 11 months old at the time, but he was HUGE, I mean this kid is a linebacker and he's only out of Kindergarten now, back then he was in 4T sized clothes when he was 11 months old so when she was feeding him it really did appear that he was a large toddler still feeding, when he wasn't a year old yet.[/quote

I think this is the first time I've been thoroughly fusspot Ted by something some has said here. While I agree that changing diapers at a table is gross, breastfeeding is not. I've breastfed at a table, and even did it at a restaurant. I did use a blanket, but just because you werent comfortable with nursing in front of people, that does not mean everyone should sneak off as well. I would never expect YOU to find a quite discreet place to eat, so why should a baby??? Seriously. This is horrible. I joined a Facebook group a while back, and I think their tagline fits here, if breastfeeding in public offends (bothers) you, put a blanket over your head.

I now leave this thread in disgust at the lack of sensitivity.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:11am
post #14 of 58

[quote="CalhounsCakery"]

Quote:

Tami icon_smile.gif

...oh, and to be a little weirder.......her baby was only 11 months old at the time, but he was HUGE, I mean this kid is a linebacker and he's only out of Kindergarten now, back then he was in 4T sized clothes when he was 11 months old so when she was feeding him it really did appear that he was a large toddler still feeding, when he wasn't a year old yet.[/quote

I think this is the first time I've been thoroughly fusspot Ted by something some has said here. While I agree that changing diapers at a table is gross, breastfeeding is not. I've breastfed at a table, and even did it at a restaurant. I did use a blanket, but just because you werent comfortable with nursing in front of people, that does not mean everyone should sneak off as well. I would never expect YOU to find a quite discreet place to eat, so why should a baby??? Seriously. This is horrible. I joined a Facebook group a while back, and I think their tagline fits here, if breastfeeding in public offends (bothers) you, put a blanket over your head.

If you use a blanket its a whole different story. or the little flappy thing. I always seem to run into the moms that have thier whole shirt lifted up or pulled down to expose thier whole breast. In my book thats a bit much. I don't have a kid yet but I can guarentee u I will breastfeed in public.... just with a small cover and not on furniture people are trying to buy lol. I said do it more discrete NOT in a more discrete place. I'm not going to go buy a hotdog in ikea and go to the couch section and eat it.

Mrs_Cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_Cupcake Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:24am
post #15 of 58

I completely agree!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:53am
post #16 of 58

I've breastfed 3 kids and I must say, I am not offended at all. I have just never had the desire to do it at a table. I would go off by myself if it was possible but I always pumped and had at least one bottle if breastfeeding was inconvenient. I just don't think it's for the whole world to see.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 1:45am
post #17 of 58

Edited b/c it wasn't a response to the OP's topic.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:13am
post #18 of 58

I think its because, its natural, and you wouldnt put a blanket over your childs face if you were bottle feeding.

I used a blanket, but I didnt where ever because thats when girly was hungry icon_smile.gif

SAHCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SAHCaker Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:57am
post #19 of 58

For those of you who left because the thread offended you make sure to turn off the setting where you get updates to the thread where you've posted. We wouldn't want you to inadvertently keep getting offended.

I breast fed both my babies and I did it in public but I always covered myself with something. It just felt like everyone was looking. I guess it takes a different breed than me to be an exhibitionist no matter how natural it is.

The comment about the urinating. Too hilarious.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 9:49am
post #20 of 58

I'm not offended and I breastfeed in public with a nursing wrap. I don't feel comfortable when there are a lot of men and children in the room icon_redface.gif but sometimes I just have to feed my daughter. I do pump as well but if you have breastfed, when baby wants to eat baby wants to eat. She just starts reaching for it. She's my first so I don't like to see her crying. It's taking me time to get lenient with her and realizing that she is a little less fragile than she was in her earlier months.

If I am at a restaurant I am not taking her into a bathroom to eat as I would not eat in a public restroom either. ( I don't need to inhale someone elses poop icon_surprised.gificon_wink.gif )

I Never would change my daughters diaper in an area where
1. there are other people. Too many perves out there. thumbsdown.gif
2. Where any food comes into contact ie. dining room, restaurant, kitchen. That is just unsanitary and gross. thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

But back on topic though:
so what happened?? Did you tell her?

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #21 of 58

Yes, I breast fed in public as well, both of my babies. That wasn't my problem at all, nor was the fact that she did it across from me at the table. I too think it is natural, BUT what she did was pull her full bosom out and placed it on the table and THEN breast fed fully exposed.

Sorry, but that isn't a usual thing that any woman would do, why is it supposed to be accepted when she is breast feeding? She wasn't in her home and it's my problem to look away, she was at a wedding reception dinner with 200 people.

I'm sorry my comment took over the thread, I too would like to know what happened to the OP??

Tami

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:11pm
post #22 of 58
Quote:

I'm sorry my comment took over the thread, I too would like to know what happened to the OP??

Tami

Don't sweat it, some people just have to be offended over something every day or their checklist isn't complete. icon_confused.gif

And I'm sorry, but plopping your boob on a table and going at it is never ok, ok? So cover it up and everyone will be fine. For the record, I breastfed as well, and I wish it were more accepted out there in public, but it's not, and probably never will be. So you can just cover it up and enjoy the intimate time with your little baby, and not put other people in an awkward feeling situation because it's "my riiiiiiight"! Really, it's ok to find a quiet corner. If anyone beats you up over that, then tell them to stuff it.

AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:17pm
post #23 of 58

Oh, and I had a customer do that at one of my cake tastings. I felt bad that I didn't have a private room for her, but she just went and sat on the far end of the room on the couch with a blanket, and everyone was fine. She was done, and we got back to business. Kinda weird, but it was a room full of women anyways, so no biggie I guess.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:38pm
post #24 of 58

i'm sorry to interupt this thread, but this is about the ruined cookies. not breastfeeding.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:38pm
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberwaves

Oh, another weird thing at this party--the photographer (a hired pro) was picking food up with her bare hands and moving it around to take pictures. Then she was putting it back on the trays. I saw her then go over and pick up a decorated cookie and accidentally break it in half. I went up to her quietly said something about food sanitation and all that good stuff and she was all surprised! Wow--hadn't occurred to her!

I was at a wedding last year. My table happened to be very near the cake table, so I could see the caterer cutting the cake. I kid you not, she cut the cake, then used her fingers and the knife to balance the piece to put it on the plate.....proceeding to lick the icing off of her fingers after EVERY piece. This was a casual outdoor wedding and the caterer did not cut the entire cake, just some of each tier, so there was about half of each tier that remained uncut.

I made sure to tell the bride's sister what I had witnessed...and when it came time for me and my family to have a piece of cake, I cut ours off of the untouched portion!

*Edited to fix spelling error*

AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrygirls

i'm sorry to interupt this thread, but this is about the ruined cookies. not breastfeeding.

Yeah, threads go in different directions all the time. It's the internet, it happens. It will get back on track. icon_smile.gif

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:14pm
post #27 of 58

I get more offended by having to see the boys wearing their pants down around their ankles. I'd rather see a breast than underwear any day of the week! BTW breastfed both of my babies and sometimes had to do it in public. I got more dirty looks from women than men. Men looked away and took it in stride. A majority of the women had to make some foolish comment.

Sorry to keep dragging this thread off the track lol.

So what ended up happening with the OP?

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:21pm
post #28 of 58

[quote="I made sure to tell the bride's sister what I had witnessed...and when it came time for me and my family to have a piece of cake, I cut ours off of the untouched portion![/quote]

Sorry to burst you bubble but if she made the cake I'm sure there was saliva all throughout that cake. Yuck!!

I took a basic cake decorating class last year and the ladies could not stop liking there fingers while working with the icing, and it was a class rule "do not lick your fingers" and everyday the instructor had to repeat that rule.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #29 of 58

I was at cake camp a couple of years ago and was in a royal icing class. The lady next to me kept the tip in her mouth to keep it from drying out. Silly me I just used a wet paper towel.

I have a SIL that licks her fingers when she is cooking.....ask me how many times I've eaten her food?

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:44pm
post #30 of 58

I'm sorry, I just find it ridiculous that ANYONE thinks its ok to expose themselves in public. I dont want to see someone's big, floppy, lactating breasts, because they don't have the courtesy to carry a cloth or a wrap, any more than I want to see a teenage boys saggy boxer shorts because he doesn't have the common sense to pull his pants up. I can understand a mishap or emergency, but as the everyday norm, it's just not ok.

I think what is silly is that most women take people's opposition to them flopping their breasts out in public as a dig against their moment with their baby and their baby's nutritional needs. That is simply not the case. I have no issues with a woman grabbing a blanket or a burp cloth and nursing her baby in a way that doesnt violate the public nudity standard. I simply don't want to be a part of YOUR special moment, nor does the rest of the general public.

I have no qualms about an infants needs and the benefit of breast feeding...what I dont want to see is someone elses boobs in public. It has nothing to do with the baby...I dont want to see anyone's boobs before, during or after that stage in anyone's life. Just like I dont want to see someone's ass when they bend over or a celebrity vagina when they step out of a car, etc. Everyone of those situations should take the appropriate steps to make sure their assets are covered in public, period.

And changing your baby in an area where people congregate or food is being served is disgusting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%