Heavy Krispy Treat Deco On Top Of Cake - Will It Be Ok?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 10:11pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:45am
post #1 of 6

I am trying to get a large fish jumping out of water (the base cake will be the water) and the rice krispy "fish" will be jumping out of it. Not sure of exact dimensions yet, but probably a 8-9 in. long fish completely out of the water. If I have the fish impaled (poor fishy) on 2 or 3 dowels going into the cake, would I be be ok with just 5 or so dowels on the base cake? Does anyone see any structural problem with that idea?? Nothing worse than the fish falling over and taking half the cake with him. Thank you for any insight!

5 replies
mena2002 Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:42am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like an interesting cake, I don't have any insight for you but hopefully someone with more expertise will come along and help you with your dilemma!

Lori2240 Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 6

videominx Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 6

Kind of confused as to what all the dowels are for. I have a bass cake in my photos that was made entirely of candy clay, about 6-7 inches long, completely out of the water with his tail curved in towards the body. I formed the fish on two wooden dowels stuck into a cake dummy. When I put the fish into the cake, I used those thick hollow plastic Wilton tubes, cut to the height of the iced cake. I put the plasic tubes into the cake, pushed a wad of candy clay into the tubes, and then inserted the fish on dowels into the tubes. Once the candy clay hardened, it held the fish in place very securely and had less of a chance to fall over and tear the cake. Don't know if this technique will work for you, but I wish you luck!

LaWmn223 Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 6

I just did a fish cake, but my fish was on the side. I dont think you should have a problem with the dowels if they go from the fish all the way to the cake board....but if I do another RKT figure I am going to cover it in royal and let it dry before fondant. That way the figure is as stable as possible and less likely to fall apart.

Lori2240 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the response. I like the idea of putting the candy clay into the big plastic dowel in the cake. I bet shoving some gum paste down there would do the trick as well! I am also going to try covering it in royal icing before putting the fondant over the krispy treat. Wasnt planning on doing that but I bet it will make it sturdier. Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%