Rice Krispie Help Needed Please

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 31 May 2011 , 10:59am by MelissaJeane

dreamacres Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 9

I made a rookie mistake. Made numbers with premade rice krispie treats. I decide the "1" would be find on a skewer and was planning on doing the "3" with wire and skewer. Got caught up in the moment and did not use the wire on the 3. Should I start over with the 3. Will the rice krispies dry on their own? I am planning on covering with white chocolate and then I was going to cover in gumpaste, thinking it would make it even stronger. I will then airbrush. Thank you for your help.

8 replies
jessim Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:19am
post #2 of 9

It should be okay, without the wire. I've never made numbers from rct, but I would maybe go light on the chocolate on the extended parts to keep the weight down. Hope it holds up for you.

dreamacres Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #3 of 9

thanks so much for your help. do you think I would be better leaving the chocolate off and just covering with some buttercream/ gumpaste and let dry. I do have 4 days drying time.

cabecakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:36am
post #4 of 9

I used white chocolate under marshmallow fondant and it worked out great. I have never tried gumpaste though. I would think that it will be fine without the wire. I usually let my rice krispies dry about 24 hours before covering with MMF, but I don't think you would have to wait that long. It is just the way it works out for me with working full-time. I do all my caking after work.

jessim Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:37am
post #5 of 9

I wouldn't think chocolate vs buttercream would make a big difference. Maybe let the rct dry for a day the cover with chocolate and gumpaste and give it time to set and if it stands for a while then you'll know. And you'll still have time.

dreamacres Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:34am
post #6 of 9

thanks so much all. Wish me luck.

ConfectionsCC Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:58am
post #7 of 9

Interesting, let the RKT dry? why??? I have never done this, and I have not had a problem! Am I missing something icon_confused.gif Oh please tell me in case I have a disaster waiting to happen!! I love using that stuff to make mini sculptures with that are too small for cake, but too large for gumpaste!

HN83 Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:45am
post #8 of 9

Hi Ladies, I have some question on RKT.
I tot of making the RKT for my laptop screen. As mentioned above, I will cover my RKT with chocolate and thn fondant.

Will it be steady enough to stand? Thank you.

MelissaJeane Posted 31 May 2011 , 10:59am
post #9 of 9

I let my castle walls dry for a day before covering and they were supported with PVC. It worked out great. This weekend when I made a dragon with the super high humidity they just wanted to sink they refused to set up. If you need them to stand like a laptop screen make sure they set up well and have them in a temperature controlled room.

Quote by @%username% on %date%