Scalloped Hatbox Style Tier

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 31 May 2011 , 1:35am by Marianna46

Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 19

Is there a special trick or method to getting the nice scalloped edge to, like, a round tier with a striped/scalloped "hatbox" look?

Like the middle tier on this cake:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-5418161598049/topsy-turvy-cake

Or even the more perfect top tier on this cake:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TjhlTY3ufCQ/S0o4UJ5CmCI/AAAAAAAAX14/hAF26A9L4Os/s400/whimseyweb2_lbee.jpg


Thanks! I have a couple cakes (one this weekend, one later on) where I want to incorporate this look.

18 replies
Marianna46 Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 19

Are you kidding me, Kitagrl? I was gonna come take this class from you! I read somewhere - I can't remember if it was here on CC or somewhere else - that you should put down a thin layer of shortening EXACTLY where you want your fondant to stick to your cake (so I guess you'd have to be able to mark those edges off pretty exactly. Then when you put the fondant on, you can cut in those same places and the fondant that doesn't stick will just magically fall to the ground. It sounds kind of iffy to me, but I suppose it'd be worth it to experiment first on a smaller cake or a dummy. The other thing you might try is to let the fondant underneath dry out some and maybe dust the top edge of the side of the cake with some cornstarch or powdered sugar, then lightly moisten ONLY the top of the cake. Then you could cut the sides however you like (I guess with part of a circle cutter or whatever you can find). The idea is that none of the fondant should stick to the sides of the cake during this first go-round. After that, you can go back with a paintbrush and lightly moisten the scallops underneath with water or CMC glue so they'll stick to the cake. Do either of those sound doable?

Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 19

Hmmm. Sounds like it might work...as long as I have my dehumidifier working overtime so there's no tacky fondant going on. haha.

I wonder how the lady in the second picture got such a perfectly cut scallop?

Candice56 Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 19

They are both beautiful cakes. thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Posted 29 May 2011 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 19

On the first cake, the scallop isn't symmetrical. If that's okay with you, all you need to do is roll out your fondant into a large circle. Place a cake dummy or pan the same size as your cake in the center of the fondant. Cut out your scallop. Lay the fondant on top of the cake, then gently lift the sides and brush a little water underneath to help it adhere to the cake.

Or, you can do the illusion, where the scallop is actually the bottom piece of fondant. Cover your entire cake with the top color, then wrap fondant around your cake and use a template to cut out the scallop.

The second cake was done by Sharon Zambito. The scallop is only a trim around the top edge (not a big piece laid over the top). She used a frill cutter for the scallop.

janeoxo Posted 29 May 2011 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 19

Now maybe I am looking at these in a different way but this is what I would do. For the really scalloped one, I would roll a strip of fondant, cut the scallop edge with a circle cutter then roll the strip up and wrap around the cake. Hope that makes sense.

The other one looks as though its a white cake, she has marked the wavy line round the middle then painted the stripes up to the wavy line and then piped the wavy line to cover the edges, hope that makes sense as well.

J x

Marianna46 Posted 29 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 19

Interesting post, DianeLM! So much easier when you know how, isn't it? Good ideas, janeoxo!

DianeLM Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Now maybe I am looking at these in a different way but this is what I would do. For the really scalloped one, I would roll a strip of fondant, cut the scallop edge with a circle cutter then roll the strip up and wrap around the cake. Hope that makes sense.

J x



That's a variation of one of the techniques I mentioned above. However -- you can't cut the scallop with a circle cutter. A circle cutter will make the opposite cut.

Making a template is super easy, tho. Just wrap a piece of freezer paper or wax paper around your cake and cut it to the exact circumfrence of the cake. Fold the paper in half, then half again, then half again. Cut your scallop paper doll style. Unfold the template and there ya have it!

Candice56 Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 19

Some really good ideas thanks.

janeoxo Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Now maybe I am looking at these in a different way but this is what I would do. For the really scalloped one, I would roll a strip of fondant, cut the scallop edge with a circle cutter then roll the strip up and wrap around the cake. Hope that makes sense.

J x


That's a variation of one of the techniques I mentioned above. However -- you can't cut the scallop with a circle cutter. A circle cutter will make the opposite cut.

Making a template is super easy, tho. Just wrap a piece of freezer paper or wax paper around your cake and cut it to the exact circumfrence of the cake. Fold the paper in half, then half again, then half again. Cut your scallop paper doll style. Unfold the template and there ya have it!




Sorry I beg to differ, u can use a circle cutter, you just hold it at an angle, I have done it before.

Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:22am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

On the first cake, the scallop isn't symmetrical. If that's okay with you, all you need to do is roll out your fondant into a large circle. Place a cake dummy or pan the same size as your cake in the center of the fondant. Cut out your scallop. Lay the fondant on top of the cake, then gently lift the sides and brush a little water underneath to help it adhere to the cake.

Or, you can do the illusion, where the scallop is actually the bottom piece of fondant. Cover your entire cake with the top color, then wrap fondant around your cake and use a template to cut out the scallop.

The second cake was done by Sharon Zambito. The scallop is only a trim around the top edge (not a big piece laid over the top). She used a frill cutter for the scallop.




I wondered about it being a top edge....do you just seal the top seam with royal?

DeniseNH Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:19am
post #12 of 19

Here's how I see it. The whole cake is white. She then marked a wavy line on the fondant, cut stripes of fondant and laid them out in a pattern then covered the wavy line over with royal and piped thin lines down the stripes. So I guess you could say that it's an illusion.

dsilvest Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:57am
post #13 of 19

Straight Frill Cutter - #3
by FMM

This is what was used for the scalloped edge on the second cake.
It is a band that goes around the cake. You cut the edge using the cutter then cut the depth that you want. I use a ruler and pizza cutter to do this part.

Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Straight Frill Cutter - #3
by FMM

This is what was used for the scalloped edge on the second cake.
It is a band that goes around the cake. You cut the edge using the cutter then cut the depth that you want. I use a ruler and pizza cutter to do this part.




THANK YOU! Going to order one soon...... so how do you hide the seam where you attach the strip?

all4cake Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:03am
post #15 of 19

The first one keeps opening with notepad. Any ideas how I can fix that?

dsilvest Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:10am
post #16 of 19

If it is white I use a bit of royal icing to fill the space and then rub with the palm of my hand so no excess remains.
You can also add a bit of vanilla/alcohol to coloured fondant to make a paste. Fill the crack with this and scrape or rub the excess away.

Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:26am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

Here's how I see it. The whole cake is white. She then marked a wavy line on the fondant, cut stripes of fondant and laid them out in a pattern then covered the wavy line over with royal and piped thin lines down the stripes. So I guess you could say that it's an illusion.




You know, I think you're right about the first one.....thanks!

DianeLM Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:52am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Now maybe I am looking at these in a different way but this is what I would do. For the really scalloped one, I would roll a strip of fondant, cut the scallop edge with a circle cutter then roll the strip up and wrap around the cake. Hope that makes sense.

J x


That's a variation of one of the techniques I mentioned above. However -- you can't cut the scallop with a circle cutter. A circle cutter will make the opposite cut.

Making a template is super easy, tho. Just wrap a piece of freezer paper or wax paper around your cake and cut it to the exact circumfrence of the cake. Fold the paper in half, then half again, then half again. Cut your scallop paper doll style. Unfold the template and there ya have it!



Sorry I beg to differ, u can use a circle cutter, you just hold it at an angle, I have done it before.




Ya, I've done it too, but it's awkward (for me, anyway). Either the scallops aren't even or I cut too far. I just assumed it didn't work for anybody. I stand corrected. icon_smile.gif

So, for those of us who are "circle-cutter-held-on-an-angle" challenged, I humbly submitted the instructions for making a template.

Marianna46 Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:35am
post #19 of 19

Which I found very helpful, DianeLM! Thanks for the idea. I'm the kind of person who would try to use a circle cutter and make a total mess of it. Hats of to those who can do it right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%